February 10, 1993: Color Classic Launched

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Feb 10, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003
  2. macrumors 68040

Jan 7, 2004
    Purcellville, VA
    I said similar things at the time.

Back when the SE was the newest model, I said Apple should sell a version with a color display. Back then, the public would've said "this is incredible".

By the time the Color Classic shipped (the first compact Mac with a color display), the attitude was "it's about ***** time". This attitude may stop you from hemorhaging profits, but it's not going to do much to encourage growth.
  3. macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    It is one of those Macs that should be present in your Mac-collection!

I bought one at an auction a couple of years ago, and although I never boot this cute little thing, I am very proud of owning one! :)
  4. macrumors 6502a

Oct 21, 2003
    I still remember being floored by the color Apple ][c.

The only time I remember being nearly that floored is when I came across a LISA.

But 1993? For this color unit??

Seems really late. I would've sworn I remember Quadras by then, and I think I had a 640e Power Computing clone by about nearly that time (maybe one or two years later?), but I'm probably wrong on my dead-reckoning of dates by memory. Ah well i'm too lazy to look it up at apple-history.com.
  5. macrumors 68000

Aug 6, 2005
    OT, but 2-10-93 was also the day my 'baby' brother entered the world :D
  6. macrumors 6502

Apr 21, 2005
    I loved the Color Classic and Color Classic II, i have one somewheres I need to play Sim City sometime :cool:
  7. macrumors 65816

Apr 7, 2005
    Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    it was the first color compact mac. They had color macs since the Mac II. And the IIC had color too if I remember correctly.
  8. macrumors 65816

Jan 4, 2005

yes they had color. I rememeber playing color games on my grandparents apple II when I was little
  9. macrumors 68040

Jan 7, 2004
    Purcellville, VA

The orignal Apple II supported 16 colors in 40x48 low-res mode, and a hi-res mode of 4 colors at 140x192 (or monochrome at 280x192, either via a monochrome monitor or by disabling the colorburst signal with a hardware hack or by using a monitor that has a monochrome mode) The II+ tweaked the hi-res mode to allow 6 colors.

With the introduction of the Extended 80 column card (commonly bundled with the IIe), double-low-res mode (16 colors at 80x48) and double-hi-res mode (16 colors at 140x192 or monochrome at 560x192) were also available.

The //c emulates an extended 80 column card and pretty much supports all of its features.