February 2nd Date For New Apple Stuff

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Mr. Anderson, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ok, this might have been posted before, but I just realized that the SuperBowl is on Feb 1st - and even with the rumors that there won't be an add, include the fact that other rumors say Feb 2nd there will be an announcement - it just seems to much of a coincidence that this would be a random date.

D

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

well we know the 24th, about pepsi and the mac and the super bowl, we also know its been 6 months since introduction of powermac, and Imac has been hurting for years. we also know march is when we usually get those new goodies so this is as good a guess as any but iam 100% positive we will have some new things in march. Im planning on walking into a store in march and coming home with a brandnew ImacG5( unless they keep that fx5200 in it in which case lowest Protower) hope you are right Mr Anderson.

3. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Don't buy at the Apple store - contact B2TM and get a machine through him. Many members have bought stuff from him in the past (myself included) and he gets the best deals.

D

4. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Link please? Or is this a MR member?

5. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

backtothemac - pm him :D

D

6. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

7. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

i would agree that the rumor date of feb. 2 and the superbowl date are rather suspicious ;)

however, what do you think we should be expecting? (i'm hoping for a rev.b 15" powerbook sometime first quarter)

8. Fabrix2003 macrumors regular

i think being 1 year of a mac user now that if they bring stuff out in march then im hoping they update the G5 to like dual 2.5 Ghz processor.

Due to me thinking that is the best time to buy hehe! :)

9. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

I vote for all-Dual Power Mac G5 2-2.5GHz lineup and Single 1.6-1.8 G5 iMac (redesigned), as well as new displays.

10. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

i think that the 1.6-1.8 G5's may fall off the map. it has been shown that they are hardly worthy of the G5 name. soon the processor will be at its PROMISED speed and I think the low speed G5's will just disappear (and won't be spoken of ever, ever again)

11. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

What do you mean by "promised speed?" Apple nor IBM ever promised any such thing that I can remember. The only "promise" that was made was that it would be to 3.0 Ghz within' a year (of it's original release).

12. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

well, that is the exact promise that i was speaking of.

13. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

well, by taking a 90 nm G5 and clocking it at 1.6 or 1.8 GHz and sticking it into an iMac is possible for 2 reasons.

One, if they go all dual, all 2+ GHz in the PM line there is no problem distinguishing between a PowerMac and iMac. Its a matter of marketing - no matter what happens, there's always some consumer that has problems understanding some part of the 'why' in hardware. For most people familiar enough with hardware specs it sounds silly, I know.

But, the other point is that at lower speeds the CPU will use less power and be cooler. Which could be useful in the iMac enclosure.

Sure, I'd love to see a 2.0 GHz iMac, but that probably won't happen immediately.

D

14. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I like the idea of the Pro-desktops having two CPUs, and the consumer-desktops one CPU.

One thing bothers me. As Don't Hurt Me also mentions the conumer line-up is usually crippled with non-upgradeable low-end grx cards.
    It is a pitty that one cannot buy a consumer Mac with a good grfx card.
    You can assume that a consumer does "consumer things" (games including) on an iMac. So IF Apple were to introduce a single 1.8 (or even 2.0) GHz G5 iMac, please let there be an option to drop a Radeon 9800 grfx card in there.

It really does make such a difference in gaming.