Fed Ex Package Tracking

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by U2Rules!, Jul 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. U2Rules! macrumors member

Does Fed Ex update their package tracking? I ordered a 20 in. Apple Display last Tuesday and it shipped Fri. Package tracking says it's still in Sacramento and has been since Friday. Delivery date is tomorrow, will it be here? :confused:

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

They are terrible. When I ordered my PowerBook, it took 3 days to get from SHANGHAI, CN to TAO-YUAN, TW. It took 6 hours to get from TAO-YUAN, TW to my hands in NEWARK, DE. Somehow I don't believe that.

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Sounds like what happened w/ my iMac, it was in Sac-town for a while and sat in a local warehouse for a few days... but I got my computer on the promised date.

4. cardiac dave macrumors regular

cardiac dave

I've read that they hit their estimated delivery date 99% of the time... whether it's sitting in a warehouse around the corner, or across the country.

I've got an iMac sitting in the local warehouse around the corner... and I know it won't deliver until Friday.

5. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

echoing the posts above- they don't update often, but they also don't miss their delivery dates.

don't worry, it'll get to you on time, or early

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

ARGH! Isn't that so frustrating?! That same thing pretty much happened w/ my iMac (same specs as yours, I think). Breathe deep, soon you shall have it... :D

7. The_Man macrumors 6502

The_Man

A little something for U2rules.

Attached Files:

8. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

fedex sometimes updates slooowly or not at all. i've seen that happen quite a bit with orders we place from work; pop in the tracking # and the item is sitting in nevada for days, then suddenly its in MA....magic.

9. punkbass25 macrumors member

maybe theys topped using planes and decided it was time to update to magic instead...? i mean it could happen... it sits in warehouses for so long because they only have a few people at each facility capable of the process required.. then boom its in atuck onte h wayto your front step.

or maybe im just on PCP

10. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

lol.

It would take at least 11 hours to get from Taiwan to San Francisco.

11. punkbass25 macrumors member

not with something along the lines of instant transmission! (ala DBZ)

12. cardiac dave macrumors regular

cardiac dave

Semantics - but the update times on the fedex website are always given in the local time.

Shanghi is 12 hours ahead of EST, 9 hours ahead of PST...

13. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Whenever I buy anything online I always hope that the product will be shipped UPS instead of FedEx. Besides the fact that I think UPS gets the thing moving faster, their tracking system updates immediately. I often find FedEx a little slow at updating.

14. Zukatah macrumors newbie

Received my iBook and iPod 2 hours ago, that's a day before schedule according to Fedex. It missed the plane on Friday to leave China but it left on Monday, then went to Anchorage, AK, then went to Memphis, TN, then to Mississauga, Ontario, then to Mirabel, Qc, then to Anjou, QC and now to my doorstep. I ordered the stuff at 6:10pm last Wednesday and here I am, less than a week after purchasing, sitting with a nice iBook and iPod (iBook is BTO and iPod has been engraved). Once it starts moving, it moves fast. One thing that I noticed though is that their website kinda sucks when it comes to tracking because the browser doesn't seem to refresh the info. What I did do track it was to type the tracking # in google and do a search on it. What I was given was much more current than if I did it the "normal" way on Fedex's website. I hope it helps!

15. cardiac dave macrumors regular

cardiac dave

Lucky guy! My new iMac might have been on the same planes even.... China to Anchorage(tuesday afternoon) to Memphis(last night) to Mississauga(this morning) I spoke to my Fedex rep a little while ago who said that it's still in the process of clearing customs. Maybe tomorrow, definitely by Friday.

16. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

UPS does the same thing with their tracking. I ordered some stuff from welovemacs.com and it got shipped out on the 16th and it says its still in california...I'm in maine and its due here on friday. We'll see.

17. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It can be interesting to run the tracking number both directly through the Fedex Web site and through the link that pops up when you enter the tracking number into Google. For some reason the tracking page you get through Google usually provides more details.

18. cardiac dave macrumors regular

cardiac dave

Not really more details... but the old-school fedex format which was a bit easier to read and was generally sorted better than the current format.

19. Sam I Am macrumors regular

Wow, my iBook came this morning too! And it was also a day ahead of the sheduled delivery! That's awesome!

20. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

FedEx sucks big time!

FedEx really sucks! They update their tracking information once every few days! :mad: I experienced the same lousy service for my Apple orders as well as some other orders. I've heard that this is a problem with only FedEx ground - I don't have any other experience.

I like UPS better - they update more often than FedEx! :)

Added to the lousy tracking is the fact that FedEx DOES NOT care about signatures. The delivery person will most likely drop it in front of the house or hand it over to anyone (without asking for a signature) and just run away.

21. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

22. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

I will agree that FedEx is no UPS. We tried switching to FedEx a few years ago at work and it was a disaster. I was on the team that implemented the change, so I have some idea of how it works. Many many many times, packages miss scans at hubs etc. This means that the package still gets on the right plane etc, but FedEx's (and even on UPS) sight does not get a chance to update. That is why you see what looks like a package sitting in one spot and then all of the sudden it shows up 1/2 across the world. Also, the scan may be done in local time. So when it looks like 6 hours, it is really 6 hours plus the time difference.
    Also both FedEx and UPS have on-time guarantees. It is certainly much less expensive for them to reroute a package and get it there sooner than it is to refund the shipper the rate that was charged.
    The other thing to keep in mind is that UPS/FedEx usually use their own planes and don't necessarily fly the same routes that commercial airlines fly. I might be mistaken, but with UPS anything going to/from Asia is routed through Anchorage, AK. Granted its not a 6 hour flight, but it still may be faster than a commercial route.

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

And the most pointless response of the day goes to...

But FedEx seems worse than anyone in their updating of tracking.

24. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

In defense of FedEx (Memphis native :D ), I've never had any problems with them. They and UPS are about the same as far as delivery date accuracy. I live out in the country, so FedEx doesn't have a regular route down my road, but they will always make a special trip out (45 minutes from Memphis) even on Saturdays to deliver my packages. UPS won't do that, no matter if it's overnight express delivery. I've personally never experienced the delay in the tracking update that you guys are referring to either with FedEx or UPS; give them time, they will get it to you when they say they will. After all, it's "The World on Time" :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.