Fed up of waiting for new releases got an eMac!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by shadowmoses, Jun 18, 2005.

1. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Hey guys,

After all this time waiting for mac mini rev B's i got fed up and purchased a second hand eMac they are dirt cheap at the moment i managed to get the following model:

-Rev B
    -800mhz G4
    -Superdrive
    -40gb HD
    -256 Ram
    -Mint condition and 3month guarentee
    -Fully boxed with all bits and bobs

All for £300 or $547 depends where you are based......

Did i get a good deal?? And how should it compare to the powermac i have in my sig???

Thanks,

SHadOW :D

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

The eMac is a solid machine, you'll find it faster that the G4 obviously.

Stick some more RAM in it straight away, then it'll fly along.

I have a rev a eMac 700Mhz as a house machine, it's been a very reliable, surprisingly capable machine for 3 years now, I'm thinking about swapping it out for a new one soonish, but I might wait a little longer.

£300 is a good price, the bog standard eMac on the edu site is around £450, it's quicker (1.25) but it doesn't even have a DVD-rom, let alone a Superdrive.

Good deal.

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Looks like a good deal to me. Should be faster than your PowerMac G4. Enjoy!

4. Willy S macrumors 6502

I´m fed up too!

That´s why I´m spending some bad quality time fixing my PC. If I succeed, I won´t be buying a Mac soon. I already have this obsolete computer and if it works I don´t need another obsolete like the Mini. :p

5. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

for about the same cost you could have gotten a 1.25GHz G4 mini and a kvm switch. it would be 450mhz faster and have a faster bus also (100 vs 167 in the mini). the graphics in the mini are also better.

sorry, I know the emac has a screen but I still don'r see why you would get a machine 450mhz slower?

6. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

the mini is FAR from obsolete and so is every other current mac. some people really have no clue about this intel switch. most of you seem to think the ppc is dead now. not for a few years yet..

7. Willy S macrumors 6502

It has noting to do with the PPC. I just find Radeon 9200 32mb to be absurd. My obsolete PC has Nvidia 5700le 128mb...

8. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Superdrive, stereo speakers, 3 more USB ports, twin FireWire ports and controllers (not well known that one), very nice flat CRT (better for some things not others), microphone and audio line in....

Add that lot to your Mac mini and the price makes sense, in fact it's still a bargain, the eMac may not be as quick, but it's more convenient and it's still a very useful system, plus the start price for a less flexible Mini is £339, it's £399 for the quicker Mini, but you still don't get a superdrive.

I'm not dissing the Mini, it's a sweet machine, but speed isn't the whole story.

9. shadowmoses thread starter macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Thats exactly what i was going to post, you basically summed up why i got it over a mini The main thing that swayed me was the superdrive,Also the extra 400mhz doesnt bother me at all and i can upgrade my eMac to 1gb Ram a whole lot cheaper and more easily than a mini,

ShadOW :D

10. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

the mini is not at all geared to gaming and thats the only reason you would ever need more than 32mb vram. for standard 2D computer use even 16mb is plenty for resolutions up to 2048x1536 @ millions of colors.

11. bloodycape macrumors 65816

but if you as many people do like to watch videos at least 64mb of grphics like in the 9250 would be a better option and would not even cost that much more.