Federal judge rules NSA eavesdropping must stop

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Breaking news:

CNN link

Of course, you realize the Bush administration won't let it end here....

2. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

This is great, but I imagine it won't do much to stop Bush from doing this another way.

The last 6 years have been a complete joke.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Since when did proving the President's authority require the revealing of state secrets? What kind of a weird Kafkaesque world are these people inhabiting?

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's a standard defense because it both allows them to paint anyone trying to "get them to reveal state secrets" as anti-American, and it provides them access to courts that are deemed to be more friendly to government interests.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Im happy our system of checks & balances are doing the job they were suppose to. Its sad as can be we have a congress who puts party loyalty ahead of the constitution of the united states. I say lets throw out every single republican. This is great news for the few of us who love real Freedom & Liberty. This lunatic we call president while dismantling the agency to catch Bin Laden has been spying on us? ignoring millions of illegals yet wants to spy on the american people? Something is very wrong in washington and its up to us to hold these Neocons responsible for their piss poor actions.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I guess its a good thing we have them? Torture,Spying,Iraq,Signing statements. Bush & his Dick want to be king. sorry not in my America.:D

7. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

AAAaaaahhhhhh those blackrobe tyrants are ruining america with their radical leftist actions! We are all damned to hell! How dare they undermine the war effort. Cna't you see we have an enemy to fight?!?!?!?! You are aiding and embeding the enemy and that is treason! To the gallows and hang these bloody traitors!

[​IMG]

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I wonder if the president really believes that he hasn't done anything wrong. I suspect that his family's values would lead him to believe that he's doing what's right.

9. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Family values unfortunately are just that. Great for the family, not so great for international policy. Hopefully it won't take us 200 years and countless needless deaths to figure it out this time around.

10. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Another turnoff for religion.

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's funny to me how the other Bush here operates. He seems much more confident, but coming from the same family, he has the same twisted set of values he uses to "help" people in this state.

He signed legislation to allow insurance companies to win in handling claims after a natural disaster. He signed legislation to keep cities and counties from enacting legislation concerning mobile phones.

Of course, he does all these things citing the need for an individual's freedom.

12. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Did you read the Jimmy Carter thread, especially what he had to say about fundamentalism? I find it scary that he (GW) might believe he's doing the right thing and I would rather believe he's lying through his teeth to get his way.

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You joke, but I've seen people actually saying such things. The fact that the program was already well known, the terrorists already knew we were watching them (duh) the only new info was that they weren't using warrants, doesn't stop people from still blaming the liberal media. The fact that all people want is for Bush to use easy to get warrants (you can even get them after the fact) via the secret FISA courts so there's oversight so the program doesn't get abused is lost on them. We obviously don't care about America or freedom (that part always confuses me :confused: the freedom to get spied on without oversight?) and want to get blown up. I'm amazed that this line of reasoning still works on seemingly rational people.

Yet another reason to stop reading MacCentral.

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've just read it, thanks.

I've known a lot of fundamentalists. As I've said in other threads, I appreciate their enthusiasm and I mourn their lack of vision and thought.

I automatically equate them with white men in control and white women supporting them with everyone else hidden because this seems to be what they used to have and what they truly believe is correct. I don't hate them but their idealism could be the end of us all.

In any case, if you grow up with your parents stealing to provide a life for you, don't you believe that is an appropriate way to live? Haven't succesful politicians done exactly that? Those politicians who are grandchildren of politicians surely must think that it's okay to help "friends" of opportunity.

Jimmy Carter was probably the finest man in the presidency. He was always concerned with morals and honour and doing his best for the U.S.A. Unfortunately, this caused him to be a terrible president, I think. It's interesting to see his thoughts on this administration, though. It won't go anywhere. The administration will see it and dismiss it, as they do with every other (non-monetary) source outside the White House.

15. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

You know this fight is going all the way to the Supreme Court.

Soon everyone will see the effects of placing sympathetic judges in high places.

16. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Let's just hope this is decided before Stevens or Ginsburg leave the bench. It's scary to think how much of our democracy rests in the hands of some very old and sick people.

17. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Yes, I was mocking those who completely go insane on this issue. :)

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

19. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

It's rather funny too because most of the Supreme Court nominations have come from Republican Presidents. Yet they turn around and blame their Liberal-Democratic counterparts. These puerile arguments make me sick.

20. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Shouldnt the president be more concerned with the millions of unkowns walking into the country rather then spying on taxpaying Americans? I must be missing something or is he simply doing what the corporations are telling him? The federal judge has it right.

21. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I was listening to NPR on the way home today, and Bush says he is certain that he will win in appeals court. He said that people who support this decision don't know the world we live in today, which made me busrt into laughter. He quickly talked about the deal going on with the planes, and using his gift for words, said, "These people were trying (insert 10 second pause here) to kill people."

22. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

So an "activist" judge interprets the law by ruling wiretapping is illegal. Especially when no criminal charges will ever be filed. I see this judge has done her job. She isn't re-writing laws now is she? Only interpreting existing laws and calling out the Bush administration.