Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Naimfan

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
All--

I ordered a refurbed eMac for my son last week--on March 11. It was shipped out that night via Fedex Ground.

First, Fedex tried to deliver it at 7:40 AM on Tuesday--there was the infamous tag "We tried to deliver..." with the inevitable "Signature Required" box checked. Two problems. First, I was home at the time, so the time has to be wrong. Second, their delivery window is, according to two different Fedex representatives, from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM.

Next, they tried to deliver it yesterday--Wednesday. This time, delivery was attempted at 2:00 PM, when I wasn't home. Again, the %#$&^! tag. I called Fedex that night and asked if they could just hold the packages for me to pick up and was told to expect a phone call from the station to arrange that.

Today, according to the web tracker, they attempted to deliver the packages again, despite my request that they be held for me to pick up. So I waited around all day--nothing. Then, when I called to find out what was going on, the CSR said there was an "Incorrect Address" noted. When I pulled up the tracking data, it said "Incorrect Address" at 4:11 PM and then again at 7:34 PM. I again requested that the packages be held, he said he would send a message to the depot and that I would receive a call from the depot to get directions, etc. We shall see.

This has been the worst experience I've ever had in trying to receive something--Fedex Ground service has been nothing short of a disaster. I would strongly recommend that when shipping something you use ANYONE but Fedex Ground. I've emailed both Fedex and Apple, and have letters for Jobs and Fred Smith (Fedex Chair/CEO) printed and ready to mail.

Best,

Bob

javabear90

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
Houston, TX
are you sure it's not somthing really stupid like your dorrbell is broken, or they have the wrong address. I have generally had good experences with FedEx

Naimfan

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
javabear90 said:
are you sure it's not somthing really stupid like your dorrbell is broken, or they have the wrong address. I have generally had good experences with FedEx

Javabear--

Fair questions. Yes, I'm sure it's not a broken doorbell--I don't have one. I live in an apartment. And I also know they have the correct address because the driver actually got to my apartment door to put the tag on it...only the third driver claimed wrong address.

Bob

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
Just an FYI, Fedex Ground is formerly RPS, Roadway Package Service. My new PB 12'' is coming next week via FedEx Ground and hopefully I won't have to go through the hardship you are going through. Fortunately for me the FedEx location is a short drive away from me so if they leave a door tag I can usually go that night and pick up the package.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
I recently had an order of blank checks for my business shipped via Fedex Ground from Seattle to San Francisco. Tracking showed that on the first day it went from Seattle to Sacramento... then no more info for three days... then it was in suddenly in Harrisburg, PA!!! It sat there for six days before making its way back to the Bay Area. Total shipping time = 2 weeks.

I'll never use Fedex ground again. Ever.

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
Not me :(

javabear90 said:
I have generally had good experences with FedEx

I have had excellent service with FedEx shipping things overseas, but locally I find their drivers a lot less helpful than their UPS counterparts.

I live in a security building, and if there's any problem trying to get in, the FedEx driver generally won't try the manager or another apartment to get in, while the UPS guy usually will.

If I do happen to miss FedEx 2 days in a row, I never call the depot and ask them to hold it, because I know that the package will be there after 6PM. So I just go straight there and pick it up myself. Sometimes I have to wait about 10 minutes or so for the driver to return at the end of the day - but hey, this is Los Angeles and most of the time the traffic in my area is not good, especially at that time of day when everyone is trying to get home.

In their defense, FedEx have never lost a package of mine or delivered broken items to me either :)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i used to work for a small business as a warehouse manager (the only person working the warehouse) and i have had many a dealing with both UPS and FedEx...and i must say that UPS has a much better system and are more regularly dependable than FedEx, there was for example, one time we had FedEx overnight us a package.....didnt arrive until two days later, thats just ridiculous and plenty of packages have been lost through FedEx as well....thus we only use UPS to send items out but still recieve items from other companies using FedEx and they still mess things up...UPS for us at least has always been dependable and have had only one problem...and that was Kodak's fault in the end.......i feel your pain

poopyhead

macrumors 6502a
I have had similar repeated problems with FedEx
I live in an apartment on the third floor and I've actually witnessed a FedEx driver pull up in front of my apt. get out and look up
then get back in the truck having not even attempted to deliver the package
other times they have left hang tags having not knocked on the door and put an incorrect delivery time on the tag typically 2 hours later
FedEx simply sucks!

raiderz182

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2003
north philly
that sucks for you guys... maybe its just the fedex people in your area that are horrible..
i've had nothing but good experiences with fedex,
i think they pwn ups by far

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
YESSSSS!!!!!!

FEDEX Ground SUCKS. I ordered an airport extreme base station and card from the Apple store....and neither one got to me when I was told they would arrive. Stupid Exers wouldn't drop my airport card off because apparently the package was labeled as a home address....and they just drove on by!!! but I never indicated that ANYWHERE on my Apple order that it was a Home address! After dealing with them, they said they would drop it off the next day (a Friday) but they didn't! But Smarties showed up SATURDAY!!!! Luckily my boss was here to sign for it, but I had made it clear two days before that it was a WORK address!!!!! Hello!!!! No saturdays!!!!
And the Extreme Station (shipped separately for some reason) had the same problem, but was supposed to be delivered on a Friday....but never showed. I called on Monday, but FedEx Ground doesn't even run on MONDAYS!!!! They wouldn't even let me arrange a pick-up delivery.... the FedEx girl said, with a huff, that the warehouse was too big. ARRRGGGG!!!!

So all in all it took 2.5 weeks to get all my parts (which were ordered at the SAME time). Stupid.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
Celeron said:
Just an FYI, Fedex Ground is formerly RPS, Roadway Package Service. My new PB 12'' is coming next week via FedEx Ground and hopefully I won't have to go through the hardship you are going through. Fortunately for me the FedEx location is a short drive away from me so if they leave a door tag I can usually go that night and pick up the package.

AAHHH!!! That's they ploy!!! Get the customers to do all their work!!! It's a DELIVERY company for Cripes Sake!!! Don't fall for their trixes!~!

powermac

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2004
Houston, TX
Naimfan said:
Javabear--

Fair questions. Yes, I'm sure it's not a broken doorbell--I don't have one. I live in an apartment. And I also know they have the correct address because the driver actually got to my apartment door to put the tag on it...only the third driver claimed wrong address.

Bob

I live in an apartment too and instead of knocking on my door, they just brought my mac to the leasing office and left a slip on my door, even though it supposedly required a signature. I waited around all day for the delivery guy, and around 5 when I finally gave up I saw the "sorry we missed you" slip.

Next time I'll definitely use someone else.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
I had a package from NY come Fed Ex Ground last year... it took over a month. I've had their "Next Day" delivery take 6 days before, too. When I called to complain, they were unapologetic.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
raiderz182 said:
that sucks for you guys... maybe its just the fedex people in your area that are horrible..
i've had nothing but good experiences with fedex,
i think they pwn ups by far

Keep in mind, we're talking about Fedex *Ground* service here. It seems to be much less reliable than their overnight service.

Naimfan

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
The saga updated...

Well, I finally picked up the eMac today. The folks at the local office were very friendly, and had obviously been warned I was NOT pleased--they were quite apologetic. They couldn't explain any of the 800 number foulups, which I can understand. I could not understand why two drivers found the apartment and the third one said "Incorrect address." Neither could they. I vented a bit to the station manager and requested that they rebate Apple whatever the shipping charges were. We shall see.

If anyone is interested, I'll post back about what result I get from the letters I sent to SJ and to Fedex.

I agree that it is Fedex GROUND that is the problem--I've not had any trouble with Fedex Express.

Best,

Bob

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
i just ordered an iBook and Crucial ram... both shipped FedEx ground and arrived BEFORE their estimated time.

my ibook took 3days, 2hrs from tagging in Taiwan, to Racine WI. several hours before quoted.

ram arrived a full 12 hrs before estimate

both were FREE shipping, FedEx ground. I have no qualms. There are just a handful of bad experiences. (or else FedEx would be out of business).\

ltgator333

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2003
Albion, MI
I love FedEx..

These people whenever I ***had*** them ship me anything they would take the package right past my city on I-94 before dropping it off in Detriot, and from there it would take another 1 or 2 days to get back down the highway to me. And to top it off the one thing they were consistant about is usally 2-3 days late delivery EVERY time, no matter if I ship it economy or next business day. From a lot of websites I frequently buy from, they're cheaper than UPS and a lot cheaper than Airborne Express, but hey UPS is always on time and I know the Airborne guy will be there at 1:45pm on the day he's supposed to be there about every time so that .50 less is worthless really. I avoid FedEx like the a plague.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.