FedEx ground tracking

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wordmunger, Apr 20, 2006.

1. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I've got an iMac coming via FedEx Ground from San Jose. I've never messed with tracking for a ground shipment before, but this time I'm concerned about it because I want to set up my office this Saturday.

My current tracking update says it's due to arrive on 4/22 -- Saturday. But it hasn't been updated for three days, since the order was received at the FedEx depot in California.

Anyone have experience with tracking FedEx ground shipments? Are their projected arrival dates accurate? Do they ever arrive early? Is it normal for them to go three days without an update on shipping status? Anything else I should be concerned about? I don't want to miss the shipment and have to wait until Monday to get my computer (thus losing my opportunity to set up the new system over the weekend).

2. Placeholder macrumors member

Placeholder

They're not always the best at updating their sipping status. My MBP came in the middle of march - it had been stuck in Alaska for about 2 or 3 days, so I got on the phone one lunch hour and tried to figure out what was happening. Low and behold, while I was getting mad at the automated phone system, a knock came at my door!
    The updates aren't the most reliable, but you can generally trust the est. shipping day (I think mine was even a day early).

3. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I've noticed that a lot of the delivery companies have trouble with updating. My iPod went from my area back to AK on a Fed Ex truck while it was sitting in my living room. My PB was in Houston when it magically appeared at my front door in the DHL man's arms...I think they try and use the estimated date as their "it will be here by then and don't call to piss and moan about it until then" abosulte worst case arrial date.

4. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

Thanks! Sounds like I'd better hang around home today and tomorrow, just in case the FedEx dude picks that time to show up...

5. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Ugh, don't get me started on FedEx Ground...I never have good luck with them.

FedEx Ground doesn't deliver on Saturdays. The only way it'll come on Saturday is if you paid extra for next day air or something...but then it wouldn't be shipped via FedEx Ground. This happened to me once before with them, where it said Saturday and I stayed home all day just in case. It didn't come until Monday, and I confirmed that they don't deliver on Saturdays...

This week, I worked from home expecting a package on Tuesday. It could have been delivered on Monday, because it reached the FedEx location a 1/2 hour from my house on Saturday morning (per the website), but they waited until Tuesday to use the full 5 business days delivery time.

So anyway, I see the site updated Tuesday morning saying it was out for delivery. I had signed up for email exception/delivery notices, and much to my surprise, I get a delivery exception email saying that they attempted delivery but no one home to sign for it. This was interesting becuase I was in the living room working on my laptop with the front door open and in silence (no TV/music/etc... playing). I go to the door and there isn't any door tag like they are supossed to leave. So I called FedEx to confirm my address and see if they could have the guy make another attempt, but they couldn't do anything because the driver's radio wasn't working.

So I had to work from home 2 days...fortunately I have that option, but it is difficult and still a PITA. Okay, that's the end of my rant...sorry about that.

But no, the only people that deliver on weekends are the 'next day air' type of people. Ground shipping is a Monday through Friday business...

6. birdking macrumors newbie

M Dogg, that is false. FedEx Ground does deliver on Sat. if it is being shipped to a residence. But that being said, they do not deliver on Monday (HomeDelivery). I ship using Fedex Ground and UPS everyday......Sat delivery is very common for FedEx Home delivery service.

wordmunger, if it says Sat 4/22, track it that morning, or Fri night. You will see an arrival scan in your area most likely.

7. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

Thanks, Birdking. That's just what I needed to know. It does sound like FedEx ground is quite a bit sketchier than regular FedEx, so your experiences don't sound entirely incompatible with those of m-dogg.

8. birdking macrumors newbie

They are very sketchy, mainly because they obtained the ground service from RPS. RPS drivers were all private contractors. So, now all FedEx Ground drivers are private contractors. They beat to their own drum, thats for sure. Good luck.

BirdKing

9. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

OK, so maybe the approach varies from driver to driver?

Well, birdking's comments would at least explain why I didn't get my latest package on Monday if they don't deliver on Mondays.

I think I'm just jinxed when it comes to deliveries, especally with FedEx. I prefer UPS, but that's my personal preference. I'm sure others probably hate UPS...

Hopefully it arrives for you on Saturday wordmunger - Reply back and let us know when it comes. I'm curious...

10. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

I guess that explains why my FedEx driver yesterday was driving an Enterprise Rent-a-Van...

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

We need a FedEx ground support group. They have made me very upset on multiple occasions. Like... the online system will show two failed delivery attempts, but there've been no stickers on my door. Call them... Oh, yeah, the delivery attempts failed because they WENT SOMEWHERE ELSE instead of coming here. Heh. Funny, that. :rolleyes:

I really don't think FedEx appreciates how much damage these ground contractors are doing to their reputation... Or am I over-reacting? I've yet to hear people really be enthusiastic about them. Even the FedEx customer support people get frustrated at how the Ground service responds to *their* requests. God.

12. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

Philberttheduck

My iMac was never updated via UPS Gound Online (gddmn them.. they worried the f out of me). But eventually i got it. So no need to worry

EDIT: FedEx.. hehe sorry got confuzed

13. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

I don't think I'm going to take any free fedex shipping offers anymore, since it probably means theose guys. I'll just pay for the 2 day air shipping next time...

14. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

The difference I noticed between UPS Ground and FedEx Ground is UPS has a better and accurate tracking info. For example, I know if I am getting a delivery from UPS as their web site says the driver is out for delivery. On the contrary, FedEx web tracking site does not show that important info. It only shows it departed sucn and such a depot. I can guess if the delivery is going to be today or not by how close the depot is to my town. Also, I noticed FedEx's web site indicate the conservative delivery day (they typically add one day). Going back to UPS, they are pretty much accurate from the time they show on the web tracking. I think this speaks itself about which company has more confidence on on time performance.

I know this comparison may not be applicable to other regions as UPS, FedEx, and DHL tend to have strength and weakness depending on the regions.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Fedex tracking is horrible. I just had a package delivered to me an hour ago, and it still says out for delivery, so I guess they don't update often or something. This was an overnight package too, btw, not a ground.

16. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Piling on the list of not updated information, yesterday afternoon a USPS priority package was sitting in my living room waiting to be picked up from the Shipper (it went from electronic information recieved to delivered). At the risk of being to kind, I figure I would sacrifice some tracking in exchange for better service...

17. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

Thanks, everyone. Just wanted to chime in to let you know that iMac arrived as scheduled, at 10:10 a.m. today.

18. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Good to hear. Glad you have better luck than me...and sorry I gave bad advice... :eek: Enjoy your new iMac!

19. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Ground doesn't mean that they will drive it across the country. It just means it will sit in a warehouse until they are ready to fly it over to you. The package is just given a lower priority compared to other packages. So tracking status shows no progress between shipping to a warehouse until the day before you package is suppose to arrive.

That is my theory anyways.

20. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

The advice wasn't necessarily bad; maybe I just got lucky.

BTW, love this computer. It's too bad I have to use it to do work!