Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacRumors has received word that FedEx is making preparations for a "surge volume" event during the period of September 21-24, coinciding with rumors of an iPhone launch in the United States and several other countries on Friday, September 21. While neither Apple nor the iPhone 5 has been specifically mentioned as the source of the surge for FedEx, the iPhone 5 is expected to be introduced at next Wednesday's media event, and a launch nine days later would be in line with several past product debuts.

fedex_sep12_surge_event.jpg

As revealed in the notice, FedEx seems to be limiting employee travel and training around this period, making sure as many workers as possible are on hand to deal with the surge of shipments. The carrier is generally Apple's primary shipping partner for U.S. orders, although Apple will sometimes use other carriers such as UPS during times of heavy demand.

Article Link: FedEx Planning for 'Surge Volume' Event September 21-24, Coinciding with Rumored iPhone 5 Launch Date

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
lol...we're even down to the shipping carrier now?

Last edited:

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
WOW! It sounds like there might be a new iPhone launched later this month! :eek::eek::eek:

Next up.... "STARBUCKS prepared for surge in late-night coffee drinkers waiting in line overnight for new iPhone"

steviec

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2009
This surge is actually due to me. I'm Christmas shopping a little earlier than usually -

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Wooow, this just proves that the world literally revolves around the launching of new iPhones! Ridiculous how popular they are!!! :apple:

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I just hope Apple's servers are up to the "surge volume" of online orders they're going to receive the minute ordering opens. I spent about two hours clicking and reclicking the last time the iPad went on sale. For that matter, AT&T better get its act together as well since there will be verification needed from their end.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Wooow, this just proves that the world literally revolves around the launching of new iPhones! Ridiculous how popular they are!!! :apple:

You should see the news outlets too. I remember news trucks coming out to interview those that were in line during the wee hours of the morning.

CaryMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2006
Morrisville, NC
lol...we're even down to the shipping carrier now?

These rumors are like heroin. Just a little bit more please!!!! Next we are going to see a report on how Apple has contracted with a company to make sure all the windows are washed thoroughly in all the Apple stores.

One thing that hasn't really come to light is any advertising rumors. Remember back in 2008 when the filming of the iPhone 3G causes all kinds of frenzy in the rumor community.

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
I would have thought they would be doing more work leading up to the 21st instead of after. Something more like 19-21. I guess that's why I am not a logistics expert.

duaneu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Bellevue, WA
I remember at the iPhone 4 launch 2 years ago, the FedEx tracking site got crashed by anxious iPhone customers hitting refresh every 30 seconds.

chris001

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Vancouver

No, it doesn't.
You are on an apple rumor website. Do you expect them not to report on this?

That's like going to a star trek website and having them report on a new movie coming up...

Though, I do agree that Apple is a big player in the world market. But, most people could care less about the new launch

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.