Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ppc_michael

Original poster
Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Something stinks in Shanghai CN. My 17" Powerbook finally shipped August 15th, and after a few stops in Shanghai, it's now still in Shanghai with "Shipment Exception - Delay beyond our control." What is that? I search here revealed that others have had the same problem in Shanghai, but they didn't really mention anything else about it. How long can I expect to wait with this one? What does it even mean?

I want my effing Powerbook.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
They mean weather, plane crash, airport closure or labour disruption, or war, or pestilence or plagues of locusts... basically any of the events that allow them to get out of their delivery committment under their terms and conditions. You know the motto, "when it absolutely, positively has to ....have our @$$=$ covered by lawyers"

persianpunisher

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2005
yea bro, I got that too, but whats worse is that when mine finally shipped from Shanghai to Anchorage, it went to INDIANA-not Utah, where I live. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!!! :mad:

cardiac dave

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2005
iToronto
persianpunisher said:
yea bro, I got that too, but whats worse is that when mine finally shipped from Shanghai to Anchorage, it went to INDIANA-not Utah, where I live. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!!! :mad:

Indiana = distribution center, where it will re-route to the west on another truck. What? You think they have direct fedex flights from Alaska to Utah??

The shortest route is not the most economical route. 90% of fedex shipments pass through Indiana or Georgia. (OK, I made that statistic up... but it's a high number)

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
cardiac dave said:
Indiana = distribution center, where it will re-route to the west on another truck. What? You think they have direct fedex flights from Alaska to Utah??

The shortest route is not the most economical route. 90% of fedex shipments pass through Indiana or Georgia. (OK, I made that statistic up... but it's a high number)

EXACTLY.

UPS, DHL, FedEx, they all do the same thing.

Just make sure you look at the shipment day and expect it then. I dont even care if my package goes to antartica, as long as it lands infront of my door on the day it specified

Gwendolyn

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2005
Massachusetts
FWIW, when I ordered my PB, the original shipment day was quite early, but when the PB got into Anchorage, then they revised it out by several days. It seems that the original shipment dates weren't taking into account the couple of days it took the shipments to clear through customs (or the International Dateline?), and by calling the International Shipment line from UPS, I was able to get a closer estimate to the actual arrival date. I'm not making apologies, since I would have hoped the shipment dates provided would be more accurate, but I figured I might as well mention that even if your shipment date does move back, it is not particularly uncommon. Upon reflection, I think the date they originally told me that I would receive it is the date when it instead reached the US, and they ended up adding an additional 3-4 days after that. I was relatively bummed out at the time, but at least my PB was worth the wait.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
persianpunisher said:
damn, damn it all

Yup, mine went to Indiana as well, but it was only about 1 day before it was in NY from there. That was UPS though. Maybe they both have facilities there...

daustin

macrumors member
I got that message too when I ordered an iPod, but I got it in about two days....but I live in Indiana!

And yes, there is a FedEx hub in Indy (the second largest one after their headquarters in Memphis) so the odds are that your shipment will pass through here. There are all kinds of shipping hubs here so don't be too concerned when your shipments seem to make an unexpected stop :)

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
cardiac dave said:

Yep I work 3 miles from the fedex facility and I can see all the planes come in. So many people's iBooks are just 3 miles from me at one point in time or the other haha.

MacVM

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2005
Yep, I called the apple store awhile ago and apparently there was an earthquake in China...wtf? Has anyone heard about any earthquakes in China recently? I say if they hadn't had my ibook sitting in China for 3 days, they would have been able to ship it BEFORE any earthquakes occur(r?)ed. I'm pretty pissed with Apple's service right now. They're failing to make a happy camper.

verozov

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2005
Columbia, SC
i think mine said the exact same thing but also stated paper work missing... i geuss apple took care of it because it got to my house a few days later although it did stay a couple extra in shanghai (cuz of the paperwork i geuss)

persianpunisher

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2005
Ok folks, so went to tracking, and it says this:

Aug 17, 2005

3:03 PM

Departed FedEx location

INDIANAPOLIS, IN

3:26 AM

In transit

What does this mean?

ppc_michael

Original poster
Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
MacVM said:
Yep, I called the apple store awhile ago and apparently there was an earthquake in China...wtf?.

Good thing my Powerbook has that sudden motion sensor. ;)

It's been 24 hours and it's still stuck in China with that message. I'm getting pretty pissed. Good thing I didn't pay for shipping.

Edit: Yay, as I wrote that message the status changed and it's suddenly in Alaska. BTW, anyone else notice how Google indexed a few FedEx tracking pages? Seems like that's a security risk.

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
wako said:
EXACTLY.

UPS, DHL, FedEx, they all do the same thing.

Just make sure you look at the shipment day and expect it then. I dont even care if my package goes to antartica, as long as it lands infront of my door on the day it specified

I ship via UPS all the time. I can be sending something to New Hampshire (I live in Massachusetts) and they will send it to Kentucky (UPS's Main Center), and then back to Manchester, NH.

Very weird.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
persianpunisher said:
Ok folks, so went to tracking, and it says this:

Aug 17, 2005

3:03 PM

Departed FedEx location

INDIANAPOLIS, IN

3:26 AM

In transit

What does this mean?
It means it is in transit to your local distribution center, probably Salt Lake City. Did you get free shipping or pay extra? Free shipping might go by ground.

persianpunisher

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2005
you got DAMN lucky. Mine stayed in shanghai for 2 days, then went to anchorage, THEN to indianapolis, and THEN to memphis and then to SLC, then the guy was going to deliver it at 10 this morning, but I was at work, and my brother was asleep when the fedex guy came to drop it off

CJLevinsk22

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
Believe me, FedEx's tracking is enough to drive you mad! My new PowerBook took an international world tour before arriving on my doorstep. Have a look!

track.jpg

It's seen more states than I have! :p

-Chris
CJLevinsk22

initialpatch

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2005
Really now, people. Who cares where the package goes... And on the subject of "delay beyond our control"... why is that so surprising? Shippers are not exempt from real life.

Here's my silly Fedex experience:
My company shipped a very important box to The Netherlands containing some of our software. The package seemed to be taking *quite some time* to reach it's final destination. Weeks after the shipment we were told by our distributor in The Netherlands that the Fedex truck had been *robbed* outside of Paris. Karma?

... I also find it interesting that our distributor was the one who originally informed us of the shenanigans. Fedex called days later (maybe even a week) to let us know the status of our shipment.

In conclusion, that sucked. But now I breathe a sigh of relief every time I see an additional log in the tracking window for my packages! At least it's still "safe"...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.