Feedback on MacBytes XML/RSS ?

Discussion in 'Community' started by arn, Jul 11, 2003.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Hi,

I'm looking for some feedback on an XML/RSS feed for MacBytes.

It's been requested by many folk... so I'm looking into doing it.

By it's nature, MacBytes is perfect for RSS feeds. Small blurb, link, and you could go straight to websites via these lnks.

In fact, you wouldn't even have to go to macbytes.com at all.

That's also the problem. While I like providing these links, I also want people to actually visit MacBytes... both for ads as well as other announcements and community activities.

So, where does that leave me? Well, I personally don't use RSS/XML feeds to navigate websites myself, so I'm asking readers about it. What's your feel and how would you like it handled?

arn

2. medea macrumors 68030

medea

If you don't mind doing the work I like the site as it is now.

3. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

well, the site as it is will continue...

the RSS/XML feed would be in addition, rather than in substitution.

arn

4. Vonnie macrumors regular

I would love to see an rss feed so I can integrate macbytes in netnewswire.

If ads are important, maybe you can set all links in the rss feed to "goto.php?www.real-url.com". goto.php can then briefly flash an ad, before automatically transfering you to the real site.

5. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

I always thought that MacBytes was just like any other Mac-related XML feed... except without it being XML. You are right, making an XML feed will defeat MacBytes' purpose, which I feel is to provide the same type of news as XML feeds to those people who don't want to use an XML feed reader, like me.

irmongoose

6. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Or couldn't you put a text add in the feed?

Even know its not a story... a little unethical but if you need the advertising...

7. krohde macrumors member

NetNewsWire

Well I use NetNewswire to get all my news and macbytes is one of the few sites i actually have to visit to get the bits and bytes.

Please make a RSS/XML feed available. I'm sure i'm not the only one.

Thanks

8. simX macrumors 6502a

simX

So, arn, I take it that you've decided to not make an RSS feed for MacBytes.com?

Do you get money for views of your ads, or just for impressions? Because I think that many of your readers probably go to macrumors.com too, and you can't read all those stories from NetNewsWire -- you just get the headline and a small snippit of the actual article. So you actually have to go to the MacRumors website to read the story, which means people will see banners and perhaps click on them.

I know it's hard to fund MacRumors, but you already do have ads, popups, and you have a subscription service. Do you absolutely need the revenue from MacBytes.com , too?

I dunno... I just have a real problem with advertising, not with the website creators making money, but just because of the sheer annoyance. I really do understand that you need to make money, but perhaps you can just provide the RSS feed as an extra benefit for readers of MacBytes.com .

The other thing is that not everyone uses RSS readers, so those people aren't likely to change and start using RSS readers just because MacBytes.com has an RSS feed. It's only those people who already use RSS feeds (like me) who would benefit from such a move.

With a website like MacBytes.com , it's kind of weird, because, as you mentioned, there really is no reason to visit the website at all if you use an RSS feed. But, personally, I still would like to have one provided.

I hope I don't come off as sounding like I want everything for free, but I'd just really like to be able to use NetNewsWire for MacBytes.

EDIT: Hey, here's an idea. How about you provide the RSS feed, but don't post the link on MacBytes.com at all? Simply provide the link in a private message to people who specifically ask for it. That way, it's provided for free, but you actually have to work to get it, and for those who don't think to ask, they continue to generate ad revenue.

A variation on this idea would be to only provide the RSS feed to people who've submitted a small number of stories (like 3 or 5), so that at least you know that they're likely to visit the website at least a few times to generate ad revenue for you.

9. simX macrumors 6502a

simX

10. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Hey...

like I said... it's not all about ad revenue.

In fact... it's not about ad revenue much at all on MacBytes. MacRumors dwarfs MacBytes' traffic, so any impact MacBytes have on our server costs are minimal.

That being said... we put a not-insignificant amount of work into MacBytes... and it's nice to know that people actually visit it. ;)

In the end, I think there will be an RSS feed... and soon. :)

arn