Feeding frenzy at Apple Stores!

Discussion in 'Community' started by jsw, Jan 22, 2005.

1. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

My daughter and I got to our local Apple Store this morning 15 minutes before it opened, and well over a hundred people were already in line in front of us! Things were very efficient, though, and I now have my mini (might return it, pending possible reimbursement from work, but I had to at least get one).

It's nuts here!

Anyone else at or back from an Apple Store this morning?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Good morning, jsw...

Sounds feverish, there've been a few posters already this morning saying they were about to rush into town.

Once you've got it set up, do let us have (and I'm sure you will) your review of the Mini.

I liked your Shuffle one ;)

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

If you wanted 512MB RAM, do the people at the Apple Store install it on the spot or is it something you have to pre-order?

4. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

They have nothing in yet for the minis (at least here in Salem, NH) - no RAM, no SuperDrives, no Bluetooth, etc. They're offering free labor for later installation, though.

All the minis they have here are stock 1.25 and 1.42 models.

5. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

Assuming I keep it (still waiting to see if work will help out, as I bought it to bring into work), I'll definitely post a review!

BTW, converted two waiting-for-Shuffles people in line into new mini owners! They were upset that there were no Shuffles and ended up happy new Mac owners... well, I hope they'll be happy. ;)

6. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

FWIW: still at least 50 minis at the Salem, NH Apple Store. Presumably, other stores are well stocked also.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Do you also have a reality-distortion-field of your own?

As it wears off, I can imagine these people getting home and realising they've spent a few hundred dollars on a computer instead of an MP3 player... :D

8. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Whoa jsw, thanks for the tip!!! It's 6:40 a.m. where I am now, and the local Apple store is opening at 9:00 a.m. I was debating whether to leave now or to, you know, get presentable first. I guess I don't really have a choice, do I. ;)

I wouldn't be up this early if it weren't for my Sad Near-Shuffle Encounter™ yesterday ...

I was at an Apple store, just doing a quick check to see if the Shuffles came in yet. (They said earlier that they'd likely have some on the shelves Friday.) Well, they said they hadn't received any yet, and to check back later. So, I left the store at 10:45 a.m. and went to the store next door to pick up some makeup I'd been meaning to get. My receipt for the makeup is stamped 10:54 a.m. I walked past the Apple store on the way to the parking lot, and thought about going in ... then I thought, naaaah.

I called the store later and the lady told me they had received some Shuffles in the morning, and had sold out by 11:00 a.m.! So in the 10 minutes I went next door to buy my makeup, they apparently put the Shuffles up and sold ALL of them .... GRRR. Anyway, that has been my motivation to wake up this early ... I just had to share my sad story with you all. ;)

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It'll play MP3s all right, they'll just have to invest in a heavy-duty lanyard. :D

10. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

I don't know - they aren't much heavier than the 4Gs... these things are tiny!
    It's the UPS or the power cord that will cause portability concerns... but they'll hold up to 80GB! ;)

11. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

FWIW: The minis do have built-in speakers. They are not, um, audiophile quality; just heard one playing iTunes. Still at Apple Store, waiting for friends to come and buy their iMac and eMac (or mini).

12. Zaty macrumors 65816

Thanks for the report! How are the minis selling? Sold out already?

13. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

Got to my Oakridge Mall mini store at 10 past 9:00 there were about 5 employees and 5 customers in the store. I would've been in and out with my mini in 5 minutes if I hadn't forgotten about the EDU discount and had to go back and get a credit.

14. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

They had a ton of them. Still 12 left in Salem, NH store. Leaving shortly....

15. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

stuck in burbank till tues pm, going back (visited yesterday too) this afternoon and rumage through the pickings at the glendale store.

Did buy the freefall software yesterday, I'm on the dell provided by work till I get home-who knows my have a new addition in the family by then (mini?).

16. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

8 left. Friends are here, buying their first Macs - a 20" iMac, a 12" iBook, and an emac for their daughter. Their 4 year old daughter. :eek:

They are not my poorest friends, obviously. Well, maybe they are now. ;) But at least they jumped in with both feet!

I hope I can wait to see if work will reimburse me before opening the box!

17. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

LMFAO!!! Thats exactly why i have my iBook. In Canada it took like an extra 2 months to get stock of the 3G iPod at my local dealer so i just got my iBook instead... Just kinda funny that you mention it.

18. bentmywookie macrumors regular

There were only 3 people at the Mini Retail store in Stanford shopping center when I got there at 9:00. Alas, no Shuffles in stock like they said there would be.

The worst part about it was that when I asked, the woman told me she could put me on the waiting list. Lovely to hear only then when I had already called practically every day that week to see if they got them in stock.

I would advise anyone else waiting for them to check with their local Apple store about this waiting list thing.

19. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

woke up early to hit one of our stores with a friend of mine..we both wanted gig shuffles but sadly there were none. So instead I bought iWork

There was a cute chick in the line next to me buying a mini...and the people in front of us bought a mini, and after they paid for their stuff the guy talked them into buying an iPod mini!!! I was amazed!

There were only about 7-10 people there this morning...not much of a turnout :(

20. alywa macrumors 6502

Towson, Maryland (Near Baltimore)

Our Apple store was also mobbed. Around 40 people were waiting in line when I got there. The employees instructed folks to speak to a employee quickly if they wanted a mini, as they didn't expect them to last. On a side note, the mini is freaking sweet. I wish I had a reason to get one, they are so cool.

I really wanted a shuffle, but alas, they haven't arrived yet. Oh well, I'll wait.

I did pick up a copy of iWork (no edu discount at the store! Grrrr...), anyway, I drove all the way up there, so I figured I'd spend the extra $30.

Anyway, Pages is really cool. I've just started to play with it, and it seems like it will be great for brochures and the like.

Keynote 2 is great. I didn't own Keynote, so purchasing this was a no-brainer. It imported some old ppt files with no problem, and I was able to apply the cool new themes and transitions with minimal effort. I can't wait to do my next presentation now.

I held off on iLife as I'm planning to purchase another computer later this year, and will get it then.

Hope others had fun and got what they wanted.

-alywa

21. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I work in Timonium, drove by the Towson store on my way home this morning, and almost stopped in to see what was up. I thought I'd better keep going if I wanted to beat the storm, as we already had better than an inch on the ground (about 5" here now, 3 hours later).
    Besides, if I went in, I'd have ended up buying an iSight and a copy of iLife (and a Shuffle, too, if they'd had one), and would have been the recipient of one vast load of crap from the wife...which would have been well worth it. :rolleyes:

22. dotnina macrumors 6502a

iPod Shuffle Scenario: UNBELIEVABLE

Okay, so I got to the Apple Store over an hour early. I was about the 20th person in line. An Apple employee came out at one point and said that Shuffle sales would be one per person, so I was feeling pretty good about my spot my line, right. He wouldn't say how many they had available, but surely they would have AT LEAST 20 Shuffles, right.

Turns out they had LESS than 20 Shuffles in all, more like 10-15! I couldn't believe it! I called once a day since Wednesday just to make sure they would have some in stock, and they emphasized that they would with a huge YES. They said they would have a "limited supply," but 10-15?! Just nuts. :mad:

23. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

That bites. They most likely came in cartons of 12 or 24 units, which means the Apple Store employees took first dibs. Guess you can't blame 'em though, 'coz we'd do the same thing if we worked there.

24. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Woke up at 7:30am PST (got out of bed at 8 though ;) :eek:) to go to the Apple Store in Valley Fair in San Jose, C.A. Got there about 8:45am and it was packed. About 100 people in line when we got there. They ran out of the iPod shuffle and had to have customers write their name's down to be on the list for new orders. But they apparently had plenty of Mac mini's, which is what we came for. Had a lot of iLife 05 and iWork boxes on the shelves.

Just outta curiousity, was anyone at the Apple Store in San Jose, Valley Fair? As I was waiting in line I was wondering if anyone there were MacRumors members.

25. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

~100 minis sold in Salem, NH

When I bought my mini this morning, I asked how many they had originally had in stock and was told "over a hundred". As of when my friends left (after I did) they were down to three.

That's some serious moving of inventory!