Feedly Launches New Cloud Platform to Replace Google Reader Ahead of July Shutdown

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 19, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Google Reader is set to shut down on July 1, and while several companies have stepped in to fill the void, Feedly has been one of the most successful replacements with more than 12 million users, up from four million before Google announced the end of Google Reader.
    [​IMG]
    Feedly has transitioned from a simple RSS application to an RSS platform with the launch of a new web interface and a cloud platform that supports multiple third-party applications. Feedly Cloud supports one-click migration from Google Reader, which should make it easy for users to switch over without a hassle, and Feedly also provides a standalone web version that can be accessed from any browser.
    To begin using Feedly, users can visit the website and migrate their Google Reader feeds to Feedly in just a few seconds. Feedly also has a universal app available in the App Store, which can be downloaded for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Feedly Launches New Cloud Platform to Replace Google Reader Ahead of July Shutdown

2. macrumors regular

Doesn't appear to work on IE 8. Nor does Newsblur. I hope something comes along that does! I don't really blame these sites for not supporting this ancient browser -- but it's what we have at work, so...

3. macrumors 68030

gibbz

I know they've promised a paid tier later this year, but moving from one free service to the next isn't appealing.

4. macrumors 68040

ValSalva

My concern too. I'm looking at Feed Wrangler. I also hope Reeder on the iPad or Mac is updated by July 1st.

5. macrumors 65816

flottenheimer

Loving Feedly! Switching from Google Reader to Feedly has actually renewed my interest in the RSS feeds I'm subscribed to.

Across platforms the Feedly layout is simply beautiful — and man, was the migration process easy (almost to the point, that I'm still wondering if I have really migrated).

(No, I don't work at or is in any way connected to Feedly).

6. macrumors 6502a

Even better than Flipboard on the iPad, I think. Love Feedly!

7. macrumors regular

I can handle Feedly in the browser, but I use FeeddlerRSS on my iPhone and iPad, and I love Feeddler's simple design better than Feedly's apps. I hope that Feeddler will be able to use this "cloud" service or that they will come up with their own syncing solution.

8. macrumors 68000

spazzcat

This is the only way to make companies start upgrading. I can't tell you how many hours I lose a month trying make stuff work in old IE browsers....

9. macrumors 68000

musio

10. macrumors 6502

I too question whether I've migrated to Feedly or if it's still just pulling from Google Reader. I assume they do now have all my feeds set up or synching into the system, but it'd be nice to visually confirm that this is true... like let me disconnect my Google Reader account and continue using Feedly without those credentials.

11. macrumors 603

Rocketman

They're also shutting down Google checkout and related services for physical products.

12. macrumors 6502

There's a good write-up or two on their blog about the switch-over, including how to know if you've been moved.

http://blog.feedly.com/

13. macrumors member

That graphic is just... amazing.

I want it as a print or something.

14. macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

I have a feeling the new iPad & Mac versions of Reeder will be released with Feedly support, like Instacast's Mac and iOS app using their cloud sync. It's the only way I can see the developer making money on it.

I like the appearance of Feedly: the navigation, the integration. What I don't like is that I have to use an extension to run it. Not a fan of extensions. Especially since it bypasses Google's 2-step verification on my work computer.

15. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

You don't need an extension any longer. Remove the extension and go to this site to login.

http://cloud.feedly.com/

16. macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

Thanks, this worked great for me. removed the extension completely. Quite a good web app, and it solved my 2-step verification issue.

17. macrumors 6502

Love the illustration!

So cheery, thanks Google for handing us the keys to the car. We promise to take good care of it!

18. macrumors 68000

No. They moved merchants to Google Wallet a long time ago. The killing off of Google checkout affected hardly any merchants since most had already moved.

----------

People were so mad at Google killing of Google Reader. But in their cruel ways, Google actually helped companies like Feedly push RSS readers even further. Feedly was good before the Google announcement but I don't think they would of spent as much development effort had it not been killed off. In the end, the users won.

19. macrumors 603

Rocketman

Nope.

20. macrumors regular

StevenB14

There is an update on the below blog from the Feeddler developer. Doesn't sound great though.

I like and use Feeddler but looks like it's going to be the Feedly app for me. Will keep an eye on what happens with Feeddler and hopefully go back to it one day if they get it working with the Feedly cloud.

http://blog.chebinliu.com/

21. macrumors 6502a

Yeah, same issue here - works on my Mac and personal PC laptop in Safari/Chrome/Firefox, but not on my work PC with IE8.

22. macrumors newbie

Noowit

Hi guys,
    Have you checked out http://www.noowit.com? A new HTML5 web app still in private beta and about to launch to the general public on July 1st (for obvious reasons). iOS app also to be released soon…Noowit is both a content discovery and a curation/distribution platform (the first of its kind reader/writer in a sense as soon users will also be able to author content right on the spot) Just days ago it released a Goggle Reader integration feature allowing users to effortlessly migrate and transform their feeds literally in one click into beautiful personalized mags, that are filtered by their interests. I’d be happy to get you an invite for immediate access if you’d like to review it. Trust me if you try it firsthand it will blow you away…Just let me know where I should email it.

23. macrumors G5

nagromme

cloud.feedly works for me--the unread count was lost (just once) in the transition from Reader, exactly as Feedly warned, and then after that has kept track of my reads/unreads accurately. Great!

However, on my iPad and iPhone, unread counts don't synch. They too got everything changed to unread, indicating that they did switch to Feedly Cloud--but they don't seem to receive any synching from that point on.

Growing pains, I'm sure.

I notice the Safari extension works, but is slower than the new URL. However, what I really want is a Safari extension with an unread count. (And same in the iOS apps.)

24. macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I haven't read through all the posts but have you seen any sync issues?

I'll read a few articles on my phone and they will still be marked as unread on my computer later.

25. macrumors regular

StevenB14

I've not noticed any syncing issues between computer, iPad and phone. Will keep an eye on it. If you are experiencing sync issues I would imagine it would be a bug that would be fixed as soon as possible.