Feel you age

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Nov 26, 2003.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Born Before 1985? Then You Are...

...OLD! And here's proof.

Every year Beloit College in Beloit, Wisconsin publishes what it calls "The Mindset List"--fun facts and figures about the incoming crop of freshmen so professors will be able to relate to their new students.

A way to look at the way 2 generations view the world.

2. Wes macrumors 68020

Jun 22, 2001
  3. celaurie macrumors 6502a

Mar 2, 2003
    Edinburgh, Scotland.
  4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    This hits me most Septembers as I face another cohort of students at the Uni, my favourite so far has been during a discussion of production values in the recording of music, when I was extolling the genius of George Martins work with the Beatles, when one student raised her hand and asked "Who are the Beatles?"...:eek:

Thankfully everyone else in the class thought she was as ill-informed as I did, and they'd all heard of the Beatles, but I did feel old for a moment.:D
  5. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2002
    reading THAT list of whys makes me feel i was born in 1999. i have NO IDEA who are the majority of those people or those events anyway.

even though i was born a lot before 1985.

i don't like most of the people of my age either, they feel and act old. well, i never was a kid, i hated kids movies etc, so maybe i'm then now getting younger. :rolleyes:
  6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    There's some things on there that meant nothing to me as well, and I'm 1977. I'm thinking it's inaccurate, as it's unfair to put class those born in the 1970's with those of the 1960's or even 1950's, as there's still generation gaps there.
  7. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    What about those of us born in the 1940's eyelikeart? I'm from 1948. There isn't much on the list of 50 that I can't relate with. The one that doesn't trigger a memory is Benigno Aquino. Keeping up with the younger set on this forum is a good way to stay and feel young.
  8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    They forgot one:

51. Macintosh computers have always existed.

And, based on what those born after 1985 are likely to remember, you might add

52. Macs have always been Power Macs.
  9. bryanc macrumors 6502

Feb 12, 2003
    Fredericton, NB Canada
    I was born in '65, and I don't get most of those references. That list is not only completely (and understandably) Amerocentric, it's also very culturally biased to a small segment of American society.

10. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2002
    tells more of the writer i think.

1. who are they?
    2. what is that?
    3. i don't remember it ever not being
    4. yawn ..
    5. who is he?
    6. who?
    7. who?
    8. i have never heard the word 'automatic' being used in the context of transmission
    9. yes .. isn't that statement racistic though?
    10. what?
    11. ppl have always known unprotected sex is bad, not just after 1985
    12. yea right.. in europe you could still buy it leaded till a few years ago
    13. who is he?
    14. what is that?
    15. who are they?
    16. my family never had one
    17. what connection?
    18. why?
    19. i have a return key on my mac bought this autumn
    20. yawn .. well, my first did. that was around 1987
    21. that time ofr of the frase is wrong. if that was true with the basis of people born after [year xx], equally USA has never been signed the independency.
    22. do you have to look on the mean or the message?
    23. who?
    24. really? never cared?
    25. sure.. <yawn>
    26. never knew
    27. so?
    28. really?
    29. really?
    30. did someone really go online with those?
    31. when didn't it then?
    32. i fail to imagine the kids born in 1985 or later having been equipped with pin numbers as soon as they were born.
    33. really?
    34. never seen
    35. never seen otherwise
    36. who?
    37. really?
    38. ...if they live anywhere where it flies from/to
    39. except in most parts of the world where they still exist
    40. never, and never
    41. personally, how many people do you know who have been able to make photocopies home (now, or in 1985)? i none.
    42. who?
    43. well, not _everyone_ born after a year [xx] is automatically able to fly since the day they were born. (i guess _i_ was able to? my first flight was when i was a few weeks old)
    44. that is an attitude, not a generation. i know ppl of both groups, born any give year after the 1950s
    45. who?
    46. really?
    47. really?
    48. really? (how come i never have heard of them then?)
    49. me neither
    50. who?
  11. Datazoid macrumors regular

May 10, 2002
    They mean an automobile transmission, not like "communication". You know, as opposed to a manual (stick) shift?

( ) [P] ........ [1] . [3] . [5]
    | | [R] ........ |- | . |- | . |- |
    | | [N] . vs .. ========
    | | [D] ........ |_| . |_| . |_|
    | | [2] ........ [2] . [4] . [R]
    | | [L]

(the dots are only there because extra spaces get edited out)

Are manual (car) transmissions really a thing of the past? (for all those except enthusiasts, that is)
  12. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    I was stating cases, not being competely literal. The point is to say if u don't know who those people, places or things are, it's impossible to place u in a "1985 Young" category. That info is much too broad to label anyone.
  13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    Fine, I'll do it too. I was born in Feb. of '85 myself.
    1. I only recognize Orson Welles, although a few others look familiar
    2. That sound comes from Redmond WA.
    3. Almost.
    4. Not for me :D
    5. And popcorn, duh :p. Yeah, didn't he dabble in acting a few times ;)
    6. When was he not?
    7. Yeah, I like having a foam body.,
    8. Whenever I ask someone, "is that an automatic?", they always talk about their gun :rolleyes:
    9. Other leaders have funny looking spots on their heads?
    10. The what now?
    11. Maybe for you...
    12. Unless you have some 40 year old gas sitting at home
    13. There's always reruns
    14. And why would we care?
    15. Garrison Keillor kicks ass, and that's what reruns are for, the video can't die.
    16. Since when do sedans and minivans count as SUV's?
    17. Could you explain?
    18. right...
    19. I use the return key many times a day, over 50 in this post alone
    20. Not until this past September :D
    21. Did someone go back in time and destroy the factory or something?
    22. Depends on who it's from
    23. *shudders*
    24. Isn't that the point of the draft?
    25. Do I look like a cow to you? :mad:
    26. As opposed to uptown?
    27. Oh great, more people :rolleyes:
    28. *beep* *beep* *beep*
    29. just barely
    30. Says you...
    31. When did that change?
    32. Um, no.
    33. Only to the less informed.
    34. What do you call washing and waxing on a Sunday afternoon?
    35. It hasn't?
    36. The who now?
    37. Oh joy.
    38. Well, yeah.
    39. What kind of "classy" restaurants do you go to?
    40. ?
    41. Only after we got a scanner. Photocopy machines are expensive.
    42. Again, only to the less informed.
    43. I don't remember seeing phones on the first plane trip I went on. But then, I don't remember anything else from when I was 5 months old either.
    44. Aren't most yuppies former hippies?
    45. Congratulations?
    46. where?
    47. What kind of music do you listen too again?
    48. And soon, they'll take over the world, MUAH HAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!
    49. The more they wear, the better.
    50. Not offending as many people as Howard Stern I bet.
  14. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2002
    Oh. Those. Sorry. I have NEVER seen any cars with any other shifts than manucla / stick in Europe, EVER. The automatic are common just here in States, and it does piss me off when I am asked if I can drive with manual shift. .. heck yea, I learned to drive in Europe. :rolleyes: :mad:
  15. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    I am with Eye on this one. I was born in 1976, and I related to most of the points..

I think they really should have moved the date back another 20 years to 65....
  16. Datazoid macrumors regular

May 10, 2002
    Anyways, my responses (1982, so I guess I'm "old" ;) ):

1) who, who, who, he wasn't, who, who, who, who, and what?
    2) what?
    3) "Always" is relative. Although my first memories of a conflict are of the Gulf War, I am quite aware that they have not been a "problem" for eternity. In fact, they kinda faded away as a "problem" during Clinton's tenure (yes, they were still there, but nobody thought about it, at least, nobody I knew)
    4) I guess there has been a mass extinction of Mac users (or those who are less fortunate). That said, for me, this is relatively true...
    5) How many 18 year olds pay that much attention to salad dressing? I just found out about it this year, though I did know about his "other" ventures ;) ...
    6) um, who?
    7) I always kind of thought of Bert and Ernie as ageless...
    8) Because everybody has guns and nobody has cars, right?
    9) ???? What are they supposed to look like? Little green men with laser guns?
    10) The WHAT?
    11) Uh, well, *I* surely don't remember being tested for AIDS as a kid....I doubt THAT much has changed in three years.
    12) Caught me on this one, I do remember, from VERY early childhood, signs that included both Leaded and Unleaded gasoline. That said, of course, I don't remember a time with no unleaded gasoline...
    13) who?
    14) I am with the "Didnt know, didn't care" crowd...but I guess a "fact" is a "fact", just like, if you were born before 1985, then you have to be older than 19.
    15) who and who?
    16) i. WTF is "being fuelish"???? If it's what I think, its not very punny, and I don't see how its not true (darn gasguzzlers).
    ii. Look, I grew up with parents that always had cars that cost <$1000, so it wouldn't matter WHAT decade I was born in, my family wouldn't have one.
    iii. SUV's haven't been mainstream for THAT long, sorry...
    17) Only when I....oops, wrong forum ;) (for those who don't know this one, it's the "This is your brain, this is your brain on drugs" PSA)
    18) uh...ok, a what, and why would I do it?
    19) Mr. 1985, meet my iMac, iMac meet Mr 1985...
    20) wow...I guess 1985'ers have some pretty nice funding, since I've only had a laptop for a couple years....
    21) Riiiiiiiiiight, I'll keep telling myself that when one drives past me.
    22) i. um, a TELEGRAM? are we talking 1985 or 1885?
    ii. A long distance phone call....well...not sure on this, but I think it depends more on who calls...
    iii. A fax. OK, whose parents have a fax machine....*hears a cricket chirp*
    23) OK, are they saying what we "know" or what we have experienced. Do I know the Osmonds have a talk show? Yes. Have I ever watched it? No. Do I know that they were on a very popular tv show as children? Yes. Have I ever watched it? No.
    24) ok...
    25) Mooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
    26) 3-point shots from WHERE? I guess my ignorance could be due to the fact that I have NEVER WATCHED PROFESSIONAL BASKETBALL...
    27) um, well, what did you expect them to do? Clone themselves?
    28) There are many stores that STILL don't have scanners, actually. But as for major, big box (Safeway, Albertsons, etc) grocery stores, I can't remember going into one that didnt have a scanner...
    29) have they? (in my lifetime, that is, of course I know they used jeeps before that) Not really something I ever cared about...
    30) the what?
    31) never looked that close...
    32) WOW....I've only had a pin # for 3 years....
    33) Store:1 Government: 0
    34) Again, not something I ever knew about until quite recently, so I have no idea whether or not it was around. What I do know is that AFFORDABLE it is not...
    35) I guess...
    36) uh, the who? I thought he was a rapper?
    37) blah
    38) That is, if you live in that area, and have had ample opportunity to fly on airplanes...
    39) REALLY? AWESOME...I'll make sure to walk in naked next time...
    40) blah
    41) OK, who stole the Xerox machine from the 7/11...
    42) too young to remember when he wasn't, but again, blah...
    43) Fly much?
    44) As others have said, aren't many yuppies ex-hippies?
    45) and?
    46) or a Beatles song...
    47) Um....okay.....
    48) Oh yes, they're just everywhere!:rolleyes: I actually do remember reading about their "invasion"...but I have yet to see one...
    49) I guess
    50) who?