1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

FEELER: NVIDIA 8800GT (2008 version) for Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Marketplace Archive 2' started by PowerMike G5, Jun 14, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

So I have decided to get an ATI Radeon 3870 for my Mac Pro as I don't game and use the Pro Apps pretty heavily.

I won't be able to sell till I get the new card as I need the Nvidia to actually use the computer in the meantime. But is anyone interested in this card.

It's fairly new as my machine is fairly new.

2. macrumors newbie

did you get it?

Just wondered if you got the ATI card in.

I just got my mac pro duaL 2.8 QUAD this week and it came with ATI 2600

I'm looking to upgrade. I am a video editor (FCP and AVID) and will not game on this machine. Looking for a list of preffered video cards that work with mac pro,. I am definitely not spending $1500+ bucks.

This card you are getting looks good. How does it fit in the slots if its double wide?

Thanks for all your help!

3. macrumors 6502

i have the 8800 myself in my mac pro and noticed the pro apps aren't as snappy as i would have thought. is there a huge increase in performance switching to an ATI card?

4. macrumors regular

hey guys,

I haven't received the card yet, but according to Barefeats, the ATI is much better for ProApps use, around 21%-44% better than the Nvidia.

But the Nvidia still is better for gaming, beating out the ATI in all games (although not by much).

5. macrumors 6502

oh wow. that's a huge difference.... :p man i should have just kept the original ati card to begin with :0