Feeler Thread - Value of Powerbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MiLife, Oct 14, 2004.

  1. MiLife macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2004
    Location:
    Granville, OH
    #1
    I have had the sudden urge for more power recently. I have a Powerbook, and the poor thing never leaves my desk but once every other month or so. So why not upgrade to a Powermac if the portability is not something I am fully utilizing?

    The powerbook is running at 1.25 Ghz and has one stick of 512 RAM, leaving the other open for easy upgrade. It has a 2X Superdrive, Bluetooth, AP Extreme and a brand new display courtesy of Apple. I have two adapters for it, a Kensington lock, some Adobe software, lots of music, and Applecare until early October of 2006. I could also throw in my Apple wireless mouse and keyboard if I could get more for it.

    So, what does anyone think? I was hoping to get around $2000 for it, as that would make a nice dent in the Powermac purchase. Please let me know what you think, or feel free to make any offers.

    Thanks for the help!
     
  2. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

    hotwire132002

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2004
    Location:
    Cadillac, MI
    #2
    Well, seeing as my old iMac (800Mhz G4, 17", original model) would have gone for ~$1000 on eBay if I had been willing to sell it (though that was before the iMac G5, I checked that out a couple months ago)--I think that this could go for around $2000. I would say check around eBay to see what they're going for.
     
  3. jcru macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2004
    #3
    I was in the same situation recently. I have a PB 1.25 that never leaves the house (but it is beautiful!) and I was wanting more power. So I bought a dual 2.0 G5 --- now I have both machines. Kinda nice, but not really necessary. So I'll probably sell the PB soon. They still seem to keep around $1800-$2000 being nicely config'd with SD and extra RAM.
     
  4. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

    sw1tcher

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    #4
    Yeah. $2000 sounds about right. $2100 tops.

    I'm basing this on the fact that I can get a new 15" 1.5GHz PB with 512MB RAM, 80GB HDD, 4x SuperDrive, etc. for $1,999 through school.
     
  5. MiLife thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2004
    Location:
    Granville, OH
    #5
    Thanks for the help, guys. I still don't know what I am going to do about this, but at least I have some idea where I stand. Thanks, again.
     
  6. djkny macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2003
    #6
    Gees, what a deal ... .which friggin' school??
     
  7. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

    Steven1621

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2003
    Location:
    Connecticut
    #7
    hey i am currently in the same position. i am very tempted to sell my powerbook and get a new imac.

    what do you think the system listed in my sig is worth?
     
  8. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

    johnnyjibbs

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Location:
    London, UK
    #8
    Why don't you keep your software? If you sell your Adobe software, you will not be able to legally keep an install on your new Power Mac. Likewise, if you're talking about music ripped into iTunes, this would again be illegal. Why not keep the wireless mouse and keyboard for your new Mac?
     
  9. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

    johnnyjibbs

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Location:
    London, UK
    #9
    If I were you I'd wait around for another year or so. The iMac will give you a bigger screen, but you'll lose portability, have a much poorer graphics card (with only half the video RAM) and I doubt a 1.6 or 1.8GHz G5 will be THAT much of a step up form your 1.5GHz G4, especially with the poorer graphics card. I wouldn't think it would be worth it, especially as your PowerBook is so new.
     
  10. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

    Steven1621

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2003
    Location:
    Connecticut
    #10
    alas...i think you are correct. no new imac for me. can't rationalize it just yet.
     

Share This Page