feeling bad and wanting to quit

Discussion in 'Community' started by buryyourbrideau, May 9, 2005.

1. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

hey everyone. i have always been encouraged by support from people on MR so i figured i might as well tell a quick story and see what people think

i am 18 and have been smoking since i was 12. well beginning of 7th grade actually. i used to be kind of a lost cause, i was smoking weed and drinking and partying almost every day in 7th grade. i have then since changed my ways. only partying on a 2 time basis now monthly. no pot really, just a little beer. thats besides the point. so yea i am addicted to ciggarettes and it really sucks. im moving to chicago in june for school and i am not really gonna have the money to spend on my habit. anywho. my father has been smoking for almost 50 years. the other day, me and him got into a fight and i needed a smoke. he had known that i was smoking for a while and just wished i hadnt. i had never smoked in front of him but this time i just had to. i yelled at him and went on the porch and smoked. this made me somewhat uncomfortable. as soon as i came back in, he revealed to me that he had been diagnosed with emphysema three months ago. this broke my heart. he only told me that because he dosnt wanna see me become a life long smoker. this has inspired me to quit. I NEED HELP. preferrably from my gf of six months that i have carried on a long distance relationship with since she is in chicago and i am detroit. i hope that after i move her support will help me quit. just wondering if this kind of support will make the move a lot easier. i really hope i can do this everyone. thanks for any input i receive :)

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

1. Tell all your friends and family that you're quitting, and that they have unconditional permission to remove any cigarettes from your person should they find you carrying.

2. Throw away all lighters and matchbooks, and buy no more. Losing easy access to fire will help prevent you from smoking.

3. Get the gum or the patch. If you can control your nicotine craving through artificial means, that will REALLY help, especially if you lack the willpower to quit cold turkey.

4. Handle your oral fixation with lollipops (sugar free), toothpicks, gum, whatever you need to keep your mouth busy.

5. No more alcohol. Many of my friends only smoke when they drink, so the key is, don't drink. (Besides, you're underage.)

6. Take the money you'd have spent each day on cigarettes and put it in a jar. Within no time at all, you'll have saved up enough for a Mac mini or an iPod.

And good luck!

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think it's great that you're going to seriously try to quit. I think that if your g/f is supportive, this will really help. Clay's advice is really good, too. Studies show that you get benefits starting almost immediately by quitting, and that over time, most of the damage heals. You go! :)

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I can't believe this suggestion has come up twice in the same forum on the same day. :eek: ;) :D In this case, it's a great point, though. Hell, you might be able to get an ACD! :D

5. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

I think your move to Chicago will be a great help in this case. In my experience (not cigarettes, but weed) a change in environment, social and daily rythm really made it much more easy to stop. Use this opportunity well, set your mind on no smoking in Chicago.

So, sing it out loud - you're a quitter and you're proud

A

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

thats an awesome initiative on your part, i hope you can do it!!

Clay had some great points, and one of the best ways to do it is to just not think about it, i know thats easier said than done, but it will help

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Here's a link to a story which made two colleagues of mine finally give up.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4194833.stm

It's the online diary of a BBC journalist which was published on the BBC website. His name was Ivan Noble and he was diagnosed with a brain tumour in September 2002. Until his death in February this year, he talked about what he and his family were going through and I'll warn you, it makes for emotional reading.

Here are the last paragraphs from his final column written the week before his death (while he was strong enough to do so) and the inspiration for my colleagues

Good luck - I'm sure if you are determined enough, you'll succeed.

8. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  9. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

As someone metioned before:

-Nicotine patches or gum
    -Have family and friends support you

and think about...

-How discusting it is
    -How if you keep smoking you'll have a good chance of getting disease-
    ~~Seriosuly 7th grade.
    -How discusting people around think it is

I'm a doctor, I would say try to quit as hard as you can. You'll only hurting yourself. I think the best suggestion is that everytime you want to have a smoke think of your father, the fight you two had, and his medical condition. Also think about
    this, what your lungs will look like if you continue smoking. I don't mean two offend you with the "also think abouts" but seriosuly, sucking in contaminated air is discusting. Also I know if I go somewhere and there is a person smoking near by I can't stand inhaling that discusting odor.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Geez. :(

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Breaking an addiction must come from within.

I'll wish you luck, but there's little anyone here or in your life can say or do to overcome this fact.

12. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Hey, congrats to you man. I did the same thing one month ago tomorrow. I couldn't take it anymore and quite. Haven't had a cigarette since. Let me tell you, it wasn't easy, still isn't. I think about having a cigarette almost all the time these days. The physical symptoms are gone, but the mental withdrawl is still very much there. The hardest was the first week for me, specifically the third day. I went cold turkey though. It may not be what's right for you, but it was what was right for me.

I'm not gonna lie. It's gonna be hell. You're in for one crazy rollercoster over the next couple of weeks, but stick with it, and you will feel amazing. I started working out at a gym and that helped a lot. Working out the withdrawls was a great way to get rid of them.

I honestly have not felt better in years than in the last few weeks. Congrats again, and I hope you stick with it.

Here's the link to my thread about it.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=119482

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Congratulations on your decision to quit buryyourbrideau. You have taken the most step deciding you quit. It's a decision that you won't regret. Your lungs will thank you. Yes, having support will be very helpful. Just don't get discouraged. ;)

14. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

I think something that may help is finding something constructive to replace the habit of smoking.

For example, every time you want a cigarette, instead of smoking, force yourself to go out for a run or exercise–something. I don't know. Find something healthy to replace it with. Maybe a certain food or something would help.

15. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Good luck to you.
    I haven't had a cigarette since February 7, 1999. I smoked almost two packs of Marlboro Lights a day for well over 10 years. I had tried to quit a few times before, but my heart really wasn't in it - I was always doing it for someone else. As soon as I made the decision to quit because I needed to, it was actually possible for me to succeed. Sounds like you have that motivation.
    The first day or so really aren't too bad, but by day 3 or 4 you will hit a wall. Keep strong. If you can make it to one week, you will start to turn a corner. By the end of the second week, you have mostly beaten the physical addiction and are left with the mental game. Let people know you are trying to quit. Most will offer you words of encouragement to help you in your weaker moments.
    My wife and I quit together, eliminating almost 4 packs a day, which equates to about $14. Think about how fast that can add up. Roughly $420 a month in cigarettes, or over $5,100 per year. You can buy a kickin' Mac set up for that. And live long enough to enjoy it, too.

Again, good luck, stay strong, and rely on your loved ones for whatever support you need. That includes the MR community. :)

16. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

ewwwww... smoking...

(In response to someone on this thread: New York is the easiest state to quit in - Banned smoking in public indoor areas)

Just dont do it... chew gum and (like my friend does) pen caps.

You can hold pen caps the way you would a cigarette...

17. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

The governer of Louisiana (the state I live in) wants to raise cigarette tax a dollar a pack. Glad I quit. Although the money is going to give teachers a pay raise, so I almost feel bad for quiting.

18. buryyourbrideau thread starter macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

thank you so much for all the support and kind words you all have said. i am looking forward to feeling better about my health and myself in general.

everyone on here is a classy person and someone with heart to show interest in making myself feel better. i love you all MR! :)

19. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I did the production on a whole website about quitting (teen oriented)
    www.tobaccofacts.org - feel free to browse around.

Keep this in mind too: If you like kissing, you get a lot more snogging done when you don't taste like an ashtray...

PS: They wouldn't let us put in all the photos we wanted to. If you think these ones are gross, should have seen the ones that were edited out... <heave>

20. James L macrumors 6502a

A Couple of more things. I am a paramedic, and you wouldn't believe the things I see each day related to smoking illness. Good on ya for wanting to quit. Now, my points to add:

1) The chemical addiction is gone quite quickly, as has been mentioned here. Once you get through that, it is the habitual addiction you will struggle with. Find something to replace this with... i.e., each time you would habitually reach for a smoke after a meal, when you wake up, etc do have something to do.

2) NEVER QUIT QUITTING!!! Many people give up if they try to quit once, cheat, and fail. If that happens, pat yourself on the back for the few days you didn't smoke and start all over again. It is like trying to push over a pop machine... you might not get it on your first shove, you might need to rock it a bit, but if you keep pushing it will eventually fall over.

Good luck!!!

21. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

You really have to believe smoking will kill you unless the change is permanent. If you believe you'll never kick the habit, all the willpower in the world will not help you to permanently kick the habit. I would suggest you see a doctor and have an xray or MRI of your lungs. Maybe seeing the damage from smoking visually will really start you believing that you MUST quit the habit.

22. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

From personal experience I would not recommend doing the patch or any of those other nicotine things. It only takes a few days for the physical addiction to fade and using the patch or the gum just sustains that added element of difficulty for longer. There will always be that day when you forget your patch at home and even if you've started to break the psychological addiction, the physical addiction is still there to kick you in the butt.

There are actually a lot of articles about people who have quit using the patch or the gum only to find themselves unable to stop using those.

For me there are two big big keys -
    I always chain-smoked when I was playing any sort of game on the computer. I realized that 90% of the cigarettes I was smoking came during the hour or 2 that I spent at my desk. So especially during the first week, I didn't let me self do more than a quick email check here and there. For other people it's different things. The key is to avoid those situations as much as possible. I also loved to smoke after eating a lot so I tried to not eat too much at once.

The second big key is to just stay busy. I bought myself a new bike and I try to exercise more, go read in a park, go play basketball- do things that make me feel good about myself.

There are other smaller things like the oral fixation - the first few days I had about 20 of those pop-ice things a day. I still chew a lot of gum.

Don't hang around other people who smoke especially in the beginning. If you have a friend who smokes, ask them to not smoke around you - you're probably gonna start thinking about cigarettes just from being around that person though...

Also I used "Smoke-Away" - It's just this herbal thing that supposedly helps the lungs heal faster and takes the edge off of cravings... No nicotine in it. It seemed to take the edge off of my cravings, but that may have just been the placebo effect. Anyway, it's a worthwhile investment - I bought my supply of 90 tablets for like $10 ----that's only like 2 packs of cigarettes.

23. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Here's an opinion from a realist.

THERE ARE WORSE THINGS THAN SMOKING. The water you drink, the city air you breathe, and the cell phone you use are all contributing to your death!

It could be worse, you could be on meth or crack and addicted to cold medications and drink yourself stupid every night.

I think smoking's an acceptable form of stress relief. Anytime someone walks by that makes a comment automatically gets the middle finger from me. I hate people that bitch about bars that allow smoking. I hate people that bitch because they got cancer from smoking two packs a day their whole life.

ACCEPT THAT BARS WERE MEANT FOR DRINKING, AND SMOKING, AND SOCIALIZING AND SHUT THE ^%&%^ UP!

AND YOU THERE! YOUR SUING A TOBACCO COMPANY WHEN THERE'S A SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING ON THE SIDE OF THE PACK?!??!?! (this deserves a gun shot to the head, or a good stoning...we don't do much stoning in civilation any more.)

If you're going to quit, DO IT. You have to be serious about it, and not relent. You have to have the will power and ambition, or it won't work. Hypno-therapy's a joke, the patch doesn't work right, and cutting down to lighter cigarettes leaves you craving more. Just do it, and get it over with. (by the way, I've been a smoker for 12 years, and I can admit that I can't and won't quit.)

24. iGary Guest

iGary

Since you like realism, enjoy suffocating in your own phlegm later on in life.

Anyway, the patch is great and worked for me. Five years in July.

25. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Not here in Connecticut. No smoking in resturants and now also no smoking in bars.

All I can say about you people who don't care if smoking is bad for them
    -You only hurting yourself, annoying others, and would you rather stop smoking or continue and quite possibly spend so time having kemotherapy, radiation treatments, etc.