Feeling bad for buying a Wii...need some help.

Discussion in 'Games' started by applecrag, Dec 18, 2006.

1. applecrag macrumors regular

Jun 7, 2004
    Hi everyone. This may sound like a pointless thread, but I feel guilty for getting a Wii. It is a great system and even though I waited in line for over 8 hours, I feel like I "stole" a little kid's Christmas present. I guess I wouldn't feel so bad if I was younger, but since I'm 18 I just feel...guilty. Any better ways I can think of this situation? Thanks. :(
  2. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

Jun 15, 2006
    8 hours you say?

Any kid could wait!

I do not celebrate Christmas and let me tell you how jealous i have felt the past 8 years (im 13)!

Of course i realized how material-listic Christmas has gotten and now Christmas is total gift giving and things, when you SHOULD be honoring Jesus's Birth!!!!!!

Sorry for the religious comment but im thinking that any kid should be able to wait! And instead celebrate Christmas how it should be!

You waited 8 hours you deserve it!
  3. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    Are you British? You may have stolen mine :p

Don't feel guilty. Love it. It's Nintendo's fault for 1) making the Wii as desirable as it is (silly point) and 2) not making enough of the things. A system has never been this sold out in my town before. ever.
  4. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    I stayed in line for 13 hours for a Wii, I don't feel bad, a younger kid could have stayed in line, actually there was a couple of younger kids in line ahead of me with their father.

was fun thou, and this was on release day too
  5. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

Jun 15, 2006
    I thought you got one off play.com?
  6. hqsbud macrumors member

Nov 10, 2003
    Well, if you had given it up to a little deserving kid, then he, in effect, has taken it away from some other, maybe even more deserving kid. Someone has to have it, so why not you?

If you still feel guilty, there are lot of places that take donated toys and gives them to kids who can't have one at all. Their Christmas would be made with a much cheaper toy than a Wii.
  7. applecrag thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 7, 2004

Well, I got to the Best Buy at around 12 AM and got in line around 4...so technically I stood in line for about 4 hours. I don't know...I can just imagine some old lady wanting a Wii for her grandson when I got it...silly I know. Anyway, thanks for the support guys.
  8. Chone macrumors 65816

Aug 11, 2006
    Don't be sorry for the religious comment, thats what Christmas is all about, if you celebrate christmas and do not believe in Jesus Christ then you are celebrating a holiday you are not supposed to and don't know whats its about... I see that religious aspect of life has been lost in the USA... especially with Christmas and kids.
  9. applecrag thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 7, 2004
    Hmm, good point.
  10. applecrag thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 7, 2004
    Yes, that is true. It's all about Santa Claus and presents now. I'm glad I get to go to church every Christmas Eve with my family still and set up our little Nativity Scene. :)
  11. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Who cares? If you want the console for yourself why does it really matter?
  12. bobber205 macrumors 68020

Nov 15, 2005
  13. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Jul 29, 2005
    You have the wii and you think you feel bad???

I have the wii and ps3 and I feel like I stole 2 Christmas, one kids christmas and one teenagers christmas.

Also waiting 8 hours isnt that bad. I mean I waited 14 hours in a pre order line at gamestop and I beat out everyone includeing this soccer mom. I felt bad that all of us were taking away Wiis form little kids.
  14. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
    Are you sure your guilt is about the Wii? Not saying you can't feel guilty over this, but it seems to me like you might be displacing some other guilt from some other space/event in your life into a safer space.

You have real human depth -- so, go change the world already.

15. SkyBell macrumors 604

Sep 7, 2006
    Texas, unfortunately.
    not to make you feel worse, but ya, I'd feel guilty
  16. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Feb 19, 2003
    Planet Zebes
    Do not feel guilty. Enjoy your Wii. Had you not bought it there's a good chance someone would have bought it and sold it just to make a profit instead of enjoying it themselves.

17. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    I guess you'd really hate my Hindu friend, who gets xMas presents, and has had a xMas tree in the past:)

But I have to say I love my gift giving,, money based, not really a religion based hoilday(..maybe a little) , called Christmas just fine:p
  18. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Feb 10, 2006
    Western Australia
    your 18 and feeling guilty? I'm 29, I guess that makes me super guilty.

invite all your mates over and play the **** out of it... that will fix you up :cool:
  19. Malus macrumors 6502

Jul 19, 2005
    Im 19....I waited just like you.

Fact is, those kids will get their wii. So they have to wait a little bit longer. ITs ok, they are 9 years old and have a whole life ahead of them of disappointments.

Enjoy the system!!
  20. applecrag thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 7, 2004
    Yes, I am sure the Wii is the reason I feel upset. I'm not displacing any other guilt as I am usually pretty good about clearing my conscience. If I were to send it back, my family/friends/etc. would think I'm crazy...
  21. applecrag thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 7, 2004
    LOL, thanks...I guess. :rolleyes:
  22. sam10685 macrumors 68000

Feb 2, 2006
    Portland, OR
    you didn't re-sell it... your at home enjoying it... and that really is what it's supposed to be used for. don't feel guilty at all.
  23. fuzzwud macrumors regular

Jul 30, 2004
    invite your little cousins (if you have any) or friends and neighbors to play
  24. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Jul 29, 2005
    I would think twice about that. Would you like to pay for a new t.v.? Think about how nice that wiimote going to look inside your t.v.
  25. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

Aug 14, 2006
    Don't feel bad. Go play your Wii- that'll make you feel less guilty. I waited for 10 hrs. I DON'T FEEL GUILTY AT ALL- at least you're not selling it, maybe you prevented someone from making a profit off the wii!