Feeling bad, I am lost. What would you do if you were me

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ke2000, Mar 24, 2006.

1. ke2000 macrumors member

This is something about my life.

I got excited today after I've got my graduation pack, a handbook and a form. i phoned home and talked a lot with Mom and Dad the coming graduation ceremony in July and how important to them and me, as I am planning how many guest tickets i need to apply. I want them be here, but they haven't been enthusiast since the first time I told them the such event. Especially dad was kinda resist.

I haven't known any possible reason until.....My dad said he knew the importance but I'm coming home for job after graduation. I felt that he was upset that I rejected his insistence of getting a master degree because that is the only option I can stay-in England longer. (No one from China doing a business- related degree has been easy to get a job here, and since I am doing a bit badly at my subject, I cannot foresee this is an option). I'm coming home also defeats his hope on me stay-in in here. I can understand he wanted me to stay because the job market is bad in China although he missed a point that getting a job here for me is even harder. He is having inferior feeling of me, and so am I. I did get excited after I've got the pack. Now I regret being high. I should just be low-key and quietly slip off from this country.

I hate myself. I don't like my life¸

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

A lot of people are in your bag or in that pot. Do not dislike your life it's a blessing to be alive. Although your father has plans for you..you should do what u want to do because in the end its just YOU. There is always a brighter side you just need to focus on/creat a plan that can get you close to or where you want to be.

Don't hate yourself or your life....one blessing you have is life.

Bless

3. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

I think communication is the best way to deal with it. So many families fail to communicate, or usually it is one sided. I do not understand fully your culture, but I encourage you to do what is best for you, even if it is against what you want to do.

Looking back, I regret not getting my undergrad degree. Now I am attending school, being a husband, and holding down a full time job. If this is something you think you will want in the future, do it now. I wish I would have. Since I am going to attend law school after I graduate, I will be in school until I am 35.

However, if you are satisfied with your undergraduate degree, then you will find a good job somewhere. I am not sure how China works, but in the U.S. you have the opportunity to do anything you set your mind to, degree or no degree. For instance, I have no degrees and am running a placement firm where we place attorneys and other legal personnel.

Don't get discouraged and communicate your authentic wishes to your family.

Also, don't get down about it, what a great step you have taken to finish college. That's excellent!

4. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I, too, regret not continuing on in school when I had the chance. After fininshing my undergrad I was accepted to Northwestern for Masters study, but due to my lack of funds and a general desire to be finished with school I turned it down. Every day I wish I could go back and change that...

5. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    First, I must say that your english is impressive. I can't speak anything but English, so for that alone you should be proud of yourself.

Second, families, especially in China, Japan, and other countries are very passionate about family honor and success. It's probably very important for your father for you to be "successful" in his eyes. But what you have to realize is that you ARE successful in YOUR eyes.

Sometimes it comes down to this: It's all about #1. And you're #1.

Hell, I don't even have a college degree. I don't hate myself for that... You shouldn't hate yourself for not having a Masters degree.

6. ke2000 thread starter macrumors member

My dad can offer my study for a few more years, but.....I am so bored and not clear what I am doing for...When having no incentives I started to doubt .....But I promise him I would go back if I need to study Master someday.

7. ke2000 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for replying and the compliment. I could tell you for speaking average good English I've paid prices.
    Everyone from my country 9 out 10 are straight applying for Master study, it sounds depressing, but you would be very surprise how many of them are applying for. I realistically aim a 2 class degree that is just not good comparing to them.