Feeling Down ...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacPanda, Nov 28, 2006.

1. MacPanda macrumors regular

Hey Folks,

I need your advice on this. A few days ago i was at work (Toys R Us) and i know it is crappy sales job but it gives me some money and i was gonna save up the money to buy a macbook. Well i went in and was doing my work and all of a sudden i was called to the managers office. The manager who is really nasty asked me why i had clocked into the clocking in machine at 2 when i started at 4 but i never did so. I simply explained that i had not done anything like that and he started getting aggressive. So he sent me up to the training room and suspended me for apparently stealing company time. So i went home and was told to come back on Saturday. After speaking with a few of my friends and some people close to me, i decided to hand in my notice. So i came in on a Saturday and i knew he was gonna try and fire me so i decided to to hand in my notice. I have another part time job but i don't feel it was fair. Also i worked there for over a year and never had one hour of holiday, when i asked for holiday they keeped on denying it. I am feeling angry but also very down. I need your advice and your take on this.

Thanks,

Anthony.

2. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

If you didn't do what he accused you of, file a complaint with upper management. I would not take this lying down! Don't matter if the job is crappy, I wouldn't tolerate people acting that way to me.

3. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

You shouldn't of handed in your notice if you truly did not steal time. I've worked in so many places that were unappreciative of its employees, and it sounds like Toys 'R' Us is one of those places.

No holiday at all after a year of working there? You should have been at least entitled to a few days. Being fired doesn't necessarily mean your resume and chances at a new job will be ruined; if you quit and your new job contacted Toys 'R' Us for a reference, they're likely to state that you stole time anyway even though you quit.

Don't stand for someone accusing you of something you didn't do. If upper management can't help you, go tell your former boss to shove a tickle me elmo up his ***. They should know how stressful it is to work in retail during the holidays.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That sounds like a very unfortunate situation, and your manager put you in a really bad position... unless you have been accused of this before, most decent people would give you the benefit of the doubt and acknowledge the possibility that it was a mistake, if it happened at all, etc.... Anyway, I hope you find a replacement for it that stinks less. :(

5. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

You need to take you mind off it. Here is a milk bottle, some petrol and a lighter. Go and make something creative! :D

6. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

i hear stuffed animals make a good bonfire.

ontopic:

yes, your manager was a douche. he should be proved wrong.

dont let someone "walk all over you" if you can help it and 100% know you are in the right.

take a stand, its probably one of the few times youll be able to "stick it to the man" and walk away smiling.

7. MacPanda thread starter macrumors regular

The sad thing is that i feel kind of cut off - i used to work in the multimedia bit so i used to do all the new games and put them out for sales, put up the displays for the new stuff in the store and sell macs. I was proud of my little own bit and looked after it really well. The sad thing is that the allegations were false, if i was to steal company time, i would a steal a whole day not two hours and this is the first time anything like this happened, the sad thing is i couldn't go back and work with those back stabbing people. I wrote a really sharp notice letter - since i have worked under .... i have not recieved the courtesy nor the respect that i have deserved ... i have been subject to a rentless campaign of bullying and harrasment and furthermore i have never recieved any holidays. The logic behind me resigning is that if i got fired it would look bad on my record and be hard to clear my name, and resigning was the easiest way. Truth be told all the people who i used to work with had left and moved on cos the management is really nasty. I am also getting a solicitor to get my holiday money which actually should be quite a lot.

8. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I don't know that it's too late to make an appeal to upper management, explaining your position and why, precisely, you decided to step down. A letter that contains the sentiments of your previous post might go a long way toward making your case.

Of course, there's the larger question of the degree to which you feel returning to your place of employment would be toxic for you. Why not put in apps at other retailers that also stock multimedia goods? If it's something you want to do, pursue it! As terrible as this situation is for you, don't neglect the opportunities it provides. That's a life skill that will serve you well in the long term.

All best.

9. railthinner macrumors regular

chill

Write a POLITE letter to a head office and explain why you left and how you were treated by your manager including the lack of holiday. If you're full time that's illegal. I don't know about part time, but there must be some regulation. Don't get all bent out of shape about something that won't mean anything to you in a couple of months. Take it as an opportunity to find a better job.There's tons of retail openings this time of year.

10. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

You won't get much help here apart from messages of sympathy.

What you need to do is consider the facts of your employment situation with this company.

Is that your manager is "nasty" due to you being a part time employee?

What were the reasons for your time off? Certain activities are protected by law and you must be given reasonable time off. You should be entitled to about 4 weeks of statutory holiday leave, pro rata.

What are the terms of your contract? Do you have one? You should. Does it contain details of your holiday entitlement?

Your solicitor will probably advise you to begin tribunal proceedings. Did you know you can do these yourself, for free?

Have a look at http://www.employmenttribunals.gov.uk/ and get some more information.

Good luck.

11. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Another factor...the mistaken punch may have been by another employee grabbing the wrong time card. If that's the case, it shouldn't be too hard to prove it...they always leave a paper trail.

If you like the job, appeal to upper management and try to get placed in another store.

12. Garden Knowm macrumors 6502

Hey MACPANDA..

I am really sorry about your situation. Your story is very touching... nobody likes to see the working MAN get the shaft. Life will be full of these situations. Keep your head up and spread smiles. Tell the truth and don't let other influence your moods with their false accusations. Smile and spread the LOVE. It will always COME BACK!

spicyapple.. you picture is AMAZING!

13. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Send a complaint to higher ups about what happened. Don't try to reapply there, it's not worth it working for companies that don't appreciate you.

Sorry about what happened :(.

e

14. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I use to work at Home Depot while going to school and I used to rack up a lot over over time by forgetting to clock out. Of course I never got payed for it. The office people would ask me why I didn't clock out and I would tell them I was too busy to. :p