Feelings about MacWorld 05

Discussion in 'Community' started by Metatron, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Metatron macrumors 6502

Metatron

I was noticing the ratings on some of the Macrumors articles. The Flash iPod has high negatives as well as the PowerBook updates. I for one agree with the negitave ratings.

The positives, iWorks, headless mac, possible iTunes phone.

Now the opinion...

We are the installed based for apple and they depend on us for sales to keep them alive. Now of the updates tommorow apply to the general installed mac community. Think about it before you reply.

Flash iPod...no screen, real us to the public except for when you exercise.....none.

Powerbook updates....they could have given us these speeds 9 months ago which just goes to show that they are just overclocking the damn thing. Nothing....absolutly nothing new except BT 2. Just a complete waste of time.

iWorks....great, glad to see that apple is innovating in the softwear field. But Apple has always done that. We buy mac for the sofwear because God knows I would buy a AMD fx-53 if I could run apple's softwear on it. Screw the hardwear. I need function...not form. Also, I have MS Office, as do all of you most likely which means this update too is wortless.

Headless Mac....great, for those who are new to the Mac OS and mabey if converted to a media center. Real use for us....none, again. No real purpose. I would not buy one of these to work on. They will be an emac without a screen, and knowing apple, you will not be able to put a faster GPU in the thing so u can at least play UT2k4.

Moble iTunes....great, but no real use...that is what my ipod mini is for. I will think about it when my cell contract is up in a year...think only though.

Conclusions:

Nothing about this macworld...in my opinion...is for the current installed users. It is all about switchers. And that is not bad, but it does put me at a disadvantage. Why by a powerbook when the next version of OS X will mostly likely be 64bit only. All current ibooks/powerbooks will end to have upgradability. I just think apple should focus more on making us happy.

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well I'm not excited because I'm not going to buy anything this year, and the most boring product to me is the iTunes Moto-phone. I mean, lots of phones can play mp3s, some play AAC files. There's no magic in that. All this phone does is allow me to play Fairplay DRM'ed, iTMS purchased music on my phone. So what if a phone now supports DRM? I'm not going to run out and buy it because it does.

PB updates....well, they're not that slow, so making them faster is good. Standard 5400rpm HDs is another plus. BT 2.0.....I don't care right now. Give me 2 years.

iWorks.....or Pages + Cells + Keynote 2.0.......could be a big deal, but I need MS Office because of the (maths) equation editor, which I find to be simple-stupid to use. :)

Headless Mac.....exciting! My parents could get one. However, I doubt I'll get too excited about the design since it'll definitely have a more conventional look.

Asteroid, Flash iPod: Don't know what Asteriod really is or does. Flash iPod doesn't excite me, but I think that if I were to see it tomorrow, I'd have to change my underpants, because that's what Apple always manages to do to me. ;)

4. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

I think you are only partly true. Yes, the miniMac is likely designed to draw switchers in and an iWorks suite will serve to increase the perceived value of that package. Now, if that were the end of the story, I think this still benefits all Mac users by expanding market share which can only have a good impact on application development. Plus, higher volumes of Macs shipped will lower component costs and likely lower all Mac prices.

But, that is not the end of the story. I have seen countless people on this forum say they would love a miniMac as a second (or third) Mac to be some sort of media center. There are also countless people saying they would welcome a flash iPod with no screen because that is how they would use it at all times--know exactly which songs you chose to load on and let it shuffle--especially if no screen means super battery life.

Beyond these, I think a new iLife, updated Keynote (within iWork or not), Asteroid, increase size of iPod mini and a 10.4 shipping date (perhaps) have widespread appeal.

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Well, I agree with many of your points, except:

The headless Mac: I'm really looking forward to this. If it's a 1.25 GHz G4, and able to drive a display to the display's actual native resolution (unlike the iBook, which limits the external display to mirroring, thus 1024x768), and at $500 to boot, I'll probably get it and sell my iBook. But I do admit I still have some reservations - how's the memory, HD and GPU? All those are question marks, and could potentially kill the deal for me. We'll have to see in 11 hours! ;)

iWork: THIS, this is what I'm really looking forward to! I do have Office v.X, but if Apple comes out with a unbloated, sleek word processing, spreadsheet and presentation suite, I'm buying it on the spot!

6. Jaz macrumors regular

iWork would be nice, anything to get rid of that bloatware Word. It's better on Mac but it's still crap.

Like many I am not fussed at all by this Macworld. It just seems to be ... boring. Can't believe I am using that to describe a Macworld, but as the thread starter points out, almost all of the items are slight upgrades or mods of current products intended for those who are looking to join the Apple world.

NAB and WWDC seems to now be the show where Apple introduces real innovation and heavy duty hardware. Most is pro stuff, which I guess is more relevant to me, but still Macworld used to be more exciting.

WWDC '03 gave us G5, Panther and iSight. NAB '04 gave us Motion, FCP 4 HD, Shake 3.5, DVD SP 3. WWDC '04 gave us Tiger, 30" Cinema Display.

Macworld '04 gave us ... iPod Mini, Garageband and G5 version of XServe. Apple Expo Paris '04 gave us ... iMac G5.

Macworld '03 was the last great one; Al Powerbooks inc. 17", Safari, Keynote, Airport Extreme, Final Cut Express.

I got up at 4am Sydney time to watch the '03 and '04 Macworlds live. No live broadcast this year, but if the rumours are true and those are the items for launch tomorrow, I'll probably watch the delayed one in a few weeks when I have nothing else to do for a couple hours. Based on the rumours I prefer my sleep even if there was a live stream.

Here's hoping "one more thing ..." is something no-one has even hinted at, and Apple blows us away with something we never knew we needed but now all want! I want to be excited but can't muster the will to care this year.

7. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

iLife '05 would be nice to have, I hope iPhoto goes a wee bit faster on my PowerBook. Releasing Mac OS X 10.4 'Tiger' would be prefect timing since I want to re-install Panther on my PowerBook (only have 1 gig of free space :eek: ) But I think in reality Tiger is still off a bit and iLife 05' will probably wait for Tiger.....and 3ghz PowerMac G5s won't come 'till June along with the 1.6 G5 PowerBooks and the Color Mini iPod (lol). But I think we'll see some cool stuff at Macworld.

Hopefully a nice surprise or a 'one last thing' :D

8. Jaz macrumors regular

Finally thought of what I want from Macworld tomorrow ... a release date for Tiger.

That would be great, cause it looks amazing.

9. Metatron thread starter macrumors 6502

Metatron

Well I am glad I didn't get flamed by you guys. I just knew that people would label me a trouble maker over my opinion. Glad to see I am not the only one let down by apple.

I will admin, I thought of grabing the headless mac for a media center, and it would be really neat if steve's one more thing is an airport express remote with software to stream video from the media center to a tv to watch view our pictures movies and check our email. That would just rule. Walk into my living room in the morning with my hot cup of joe and grab the remote and view my email why I fry me come eggs.

10. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

You do know that you're commenting on rumours, none of the things you've based your comments on can be seen as fact...don't you think you should wait before giving your conclusions?! Or at least say these are your feelings about the latest rumours?

Once the keynote happens then you can start your whinging about what was and wasn't released. :rolleyes: