Feels good to get rid of old computer junk

Discussion in 'Community' started by JesseJames, Aug 20, 2004.

1. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

I just whigged out a little while ago and got rid of some old computer stuff that was taking up a little too much space.
    A CD burner, a keyboard, an external modem, and you guys may damn me for this but an old beige G3.
    They were all in good working condition but I didn't need them and didn't want to go through the hassle of selling them. So.... I embraced my inner caveman and went ape sh*t on them a la hammer.
    IT WAS VERY CATHARTIC; LET ME TELL YOU. Parts flying everywhere. The most satisfying noises of destruction.

Vent some frustrations. :p

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...you destroyed a working beige G3???? Okay for the other stuff, but wrecking the G3 was a real waste. There are lots of places that would have loved to have your old computer.....don't you think you would have gotten just as much of a good feeling by making a charitable donation of it to somewhere that could use it? Maybe get a tax deduction for that too. I can't deny the pleasure one sometimes gets from taking the hammer to something, but you got that with the other old stuff.....oh yeah!

4. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, it had SCSI harddrives and they sounded like a jet engine spooling up.

I know, I know. What the hell can ya' do.

I'm pretty happy with my Quicksilver here though. I happened to discover an old external firewire harddrive while I was in the ecstasy of destruction. I gingerly set it aside and continued bashing.
    Afterwards, I took out the ATA harddrive in it and dumped the housing. I was delighted to see that it was a 34GB device. It is now in my Quicksilver as a slave drive.
    A little weird seeing 2 harddrive icons over in the corner.

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

All I can envision is the scene in Office Space where they bring the laser printer out to the field and kick the crap out of it.

"PC LOAD LETTER?! What the **&%! is PC LOAD LETTER?" :D

6. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

In my town we have a computer recycling program, where people bring their old computers down to the dump, and they get put in this huge storage container, then, every year or so, volunteers from the town go down and disassemble the computers into metal, plastic and other, to be recycled and reused. Now, most computers aren't designed to just snap apart for easier recycling, and we aren't about to spend 20 minutes on each computer, for 800 computers, so we employ our good friend the 15 pound sledgehammer. Yes. Yes. Yes. It's a beautiful thing. We're helping the environment, scrapheaps in china, and venting 50000 years worth of pent up rage with each and every computer. :)

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It's a little late for JesseJames, but I'm going to take some useless equipment to Office Depot before their free recycling offer runs out September 6th.

8. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

this reminds me of the time i dumped my really discusting couch off my 7th story window. my roomate and i had the one side of the building to oursleves, so when i got my new couch we decided to dump the old one off the balcony :)

ahhh.... destruction is good :)

9. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

bite your tongue you iconoclast! Say fifty "Hail Steves" before you go to bed!

10. emw macrumors G4

emw

Nice program, but be prepared to make a few trips...

Seems a little odd that I could bring in my complete ancient PC system at one time, but if I have 3 old cell phones, I have to make 3 trips (or bring friends).

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Pop open the case and load it up with PDA's and cell phones...

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Bring a couple of friends or relatives along.

13. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

14. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i gave away all my stuff but sold off my old apple nt laser printer for cheap

but once, and only once, i smashed this 40 dollar acoustic guitar, like garth brooks, and it was very exhilarating...but i later felt bad about it and i don't see myself doing it ever again

i can't see how someone like garth, the who, and kiss can go out like they did every show and trash at least one guitar...of course those artists could easily afford to do that and i suppose it helps sell tickets

15. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I swear to god one of these days I'm just going to kick this p.o.s out the window! :D