Feingold, Specter Clash Over Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, May 18, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

washpost

this is ****ed on so many levels. never mind the amendment itself (and i still haven't seen the wording, i doubt it's been released), but observe how specter is pandering to the administration to get this thing to a floor vote.

feingold just issued a statement, which i'll post next.

2. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

feingold statement

Objecting to the Judiciary Committee's Handling of the Constitutional Amendment on Marriage

May 18, 2006

Today's markup of the constitutional amendment concerning marriage, in a small room off the Senate floor with only a handful of people other than Senators and their staffs present, was an affront to the Constitution. I objected to its consideration in such an inappropriate setting and refused to help make a quorum. I am deeply disappointed that the Chairman of the Judiciary Committee went forward with the markup over my objection. Unfortunately, the Majority Leader has set a politically motivated schedule for floor consideration of this measure that the Chairman felt compelled to follow, even though he says he opposes the amendment.

Constitutional amendments deserve the most careful and deliberate consideration of any matter that comes before the Senate. In addition to hearings and a subcommittee markup, such a measure should be considered by the Judiciary Committee in the light of day, open to the press and the public, with cameras present so that the whole country can see what is done. Open and deliberate debate on such an important matter cannot take place in a setting such as the one chosen by the Chairman of the Committee today.

The Constitution of the United States is an historic guarantee of individual freedom. It has served as a beacon of hope, an example to people around the world who yearn to be free and to live their lives without government interference in their most basic human decisions. I took an oath when I joined this body to support and defend the Constitution. I will continue to fight this mean-spirited, divisive, poorly drafted, and misguided amendment when it comes to the Senate floor.

edit: link

3. iGary Guest

iGary

You know, gays getting married is certainly the highest or priorities on this country's ****ed up fix it list.

Christ. :rolleyes:

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I have said before but here it is again, Karl Rove the draft dodger is using this subject to try to get its base to the polls because they know they will vote against gay marriage and then while at the polls they assume these same folks will pull the republican lever. Its a game to get the republican base to the polls. Karl Rove same guy who helped out a CIA agent.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I had no idea Plame was gay! ;)

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

How did he help her out?:confused:

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

That didnt come out right, its been a long day........I know you know what i mean.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The Master of Double-Entendre, as always, eh DHM?
    ;)

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

He helped her right out of the CIA.

10. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Amen.

I just get more disgusted each day with what comes out of Washington. Not a single good idea eminates from anywhere in that town. Fraggin fools.

11. iGary Guest

iGary

I mean you know, gas isn't over $3.00 a gallon, thousands of kids haven't gotten their asses blown off in Iraq, our deficit isn't through the roof....homos is the big issue. :rolleyes:

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No, homos are the big issue. :p

13. iGary Guest

iGary

But of course. :D

14. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

But who issues them?

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I read this on MSNBC earlier, and Spectre made a weird statement about not supporting the law but wanting it to go to the floor for a vote. It's like he knows it will probably not pass (they'd need a 2/3 majority in one and 3/4 in the other), but will show the base that they're trying. Make it seem like it's the Dems fault again come election time. Just speculating, but it makes a lot of sense. Russ has just been pissed for awhile now and this was another straw on the camel's back.

Sad. I used to respect Spectre. This was just another in a long line of pandering from him. Same with McCain.