iPad mini Fell and sat on my ipad mini, it's now bent

Discussion in 'iPad' started by shadowjeff, Dec 4, 2012.

1. shadowjeff, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012

macrumors regular

Aug 3, 2010
    So yea long story short: It was raining, and i slipped on the stairs and fell/sat on my iPad mini (ipad mini was in my messenger bag), now it's bent. I have no idea what do now.

I'm surprised it still works perfectly fine and it's even more ergonomically comfortable to hold LOL.

But all jokes aside, what should i do? Do you think the apple store will take sympathy and swap me a new one? I'm a student so i'm trying to avoid spending money but if i have to i guess it's $99 applecare + $50?

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 6502a

Oct 18, 2011
    if you do not have Applecare+ already you can't put it on since the device is already damaged and to purchase Applecare+ after the fact it needs to be inspected by an apple genius.

Your best bet would be go to an apple store and try and explain your financial situation and how the iPad mini saved you from breaking your tailbone xD. I think it is 229 for a replacment.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Jul 1, 2010
    Try reenacting the exact same way you fell on your mini, only this time put your mini in your bag the opposite way...it should bend back to normal. :)
  4. macrumors member

Sep 29, 2012
    i feel for you dude but that made me laugh soooo hard;)))))

Can you not just return it, they rarely take it out the box, or say you recieved it bent like a boomerang;P lollol

If your still in the return window i rate your chances in the 90 percentile of getting a replacement;)

You can now say you have a nexus ipad, lollol
  5. thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 3, 2010
    I was thinking about returning it. But the apple store at my place do check to see if the ipad works before authorizing the return. I doubt that I could say it was 'bent' when I bought.
  6. macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    His "financial situation" is not unique. Unless you get someone to take pity on the situation, apple will take his $229 without hesitation.

OP, if it's better to hold then why not keep it?
  7. thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 3, 2010
    Lol would you want a bent ipad? It's the screen, when you're reading something it's like bending backwards.
  8. macrumors 6502a

Aug 15, 2011
    Its amazing your screen didnt shatter. I dropped mine a couple if feet and it completely shattered. If its within 30 days just call apple and they ll let you buy the applecare plus on the phone. So a swap will cost you $150.

9. macrumors regular

Feb 22, 2012
  10. thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 3, 2010
    I was surprised too! And I'm pretty sure my ipad mini was pressed hard against corner of the stairs when I sat on it.
  11. macrumors member

Sep 29, 2012
    Listen do this and all will be well,

Phone applecare and say you received the ipad in a bent state and you have just opened the product. Your tremendously upset by the whole experience and how can they rectify... They will say they will either pick up the ipad and replace or they will ask you to go the store route. The store route will be good because you can go in there and say you have spoke to applecare (they will have this logged) and they said to go to store for a swap out. I honestly think you have a really high chance of turning this around bro;)

12. thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 3, 2010
    I might try this. But I've had this ipad mini for about 3 weeks already, what if they ask 'why are only you calling now'?
  13. macrumors 68000

Jan 27, 2007
    I want some of what this guy is smoking!

BTW: If by some miracle he gets Apple to accept that an iPad came out of the factory in this condition, somebody in China will likely be murdered! Do you want that on your conscience? :)
  14. macrumors 601

Jul 11, 2009
    Don't commit fraud.
  15. macrumors P6

Aug 17, 2007
    Man, that stinks OP. Take it to Apple and be honest and tell them what happened. They may change it out for free, but are under no obligation to do so.

If that doesn't work, the credit card you used to purchase it may offer some sort of coverage for accidents on new purchases. You should contact them.

If neither one will replace it, you have two options. Enjoy your collectors iPad mini curved edition. Or spend the money to have Apple replace it.
  16. macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2006
    That would be dishonest first off, secondly...surely they can see the registration date for the device when you first set it up. It's an unfortunate accident and I feel for you, but you should just be honest it.
  17. thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 3, 2010
    Yea I'll gonna go the honest route to try to get sympathy from apple geniuses tmr. I will feel bad for lying. If it doesn't work out, I'm not sure if BMO MasterCard has any insurance coverage, I'll try calling and check.

I probably won't pay to get it replaced, because its working PERFECTLY fine. Most people replace their iPads because the screen cracked or it's completely unusable.

Maybe I'll save up some money and just buy another white ipad mini and use both together lmao. The first working curved glass ipad mini, how awesome is that?!
  18. macrumors 65816

Apr 6, 2010
    If honesty doesn't work then I vote make a video of you trying to bend it back and put it on YouTube
  19. macrumors 65816

Jun 9, 2011
    Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    If you don't realize that's completely dishonest, you need a course on ethics.
  20. macrumors 6502

Sep 19, 2012
    New York, NY
    I concur! Try and bend it back to its original state.

All jokes aside, I'm surprised it didn't shatter. Quite remarkable actually. I'd be really PO'ed if that happened to me. Get AppleCare+ and see what happens. If you can't get that bite the bullet and setup an appointment at the Genius Bar.
  21. macrumors 68000

Jul 30, 2011
    one word...RUN

to your local USPTO and patent the hell out of that "all-new" concave mini design before apple does
  22. thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 3, 2010
    I'm actually trying to bend it back, piling my 3 years worth of college textbooks on each corner, but i think the weight isn't concentrated enough to force it back. I tried standing on both sides for a while, doesn't really work. Any other ideas you guys want me to try? :D

I'm not pissed off at all or anything i was actually laughing when i saw the bend. I got unlucky and slipped but oh well... This thing is actually really solid!
  23. macrumors 65816

Apr 6, 2010
    The only way it could work would be bending it back by pressing from the screen side, maybe a book large enough to cover the entire ipad so the pressure is more evenly dispersed. Scary thought but trying to push the corners down just won't have enough force.
  24. macrumors 68000

Jul 30, 2011
    tell them that Jon Ive is a good friend of yours and told you that since it was made out of "aluminium" that it could withstand your arse.

then ask for a replacement on the grounds that the product didn't deliver what was promised by the knight
  25. macrumors 6502a

May 17, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    If I was the OP, I'd write and email all the apple execs, especially the marketing team, to see if i can get some FaceTime (see what i did there?) on tech blogs and news sites to talk about my experience and the durability of the iPad mini...