FEMA Chief Relieved of Katrina Duties

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by _bnkr612, Sep 9, 2005.

1. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

Shouldn't Bush be relieved of his duties too?

yahoo article link

2. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I'm sure he's glad he can get back to organizing dog shows.

3. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I have a feeling this might be moved to the political forum... :)

4. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    How many Arabian Horses does it take to respond to a hurricane, anyhow? :p

5. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Before it does (since I can't post in that forum, yet), they're also calling into question whether or not he (and a few other FEMA administrators) are qualified to manage emergency situations.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/09/katrina.brown.reut/index.html

6. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

The
    Arabian Horse Community is not too fond of him, either. Catch you later in the political forum.

7. Angelus520 macrumors regular

the Good 'Ole Boy network at it's finest...

From Reuters Article

New rescue chief named, New Orleans collects dead

"Even as he spoke, Bush faced renewed criticism for packing FEMA with political cronies and saw his approval rating fall to 40 percent, down four points since July to the lowest point the Pew Research Center has recorded.

The Washington Post reported that five of the top eight FEMA officials had little experience in handling disasters and owed their jobs to their Republican political ties to Bush.

Brown is a friend of former Bush campaign director Joe Allbaugh, the previous FEMA head who was a major Bush fund-raiser. Last week, as criticism of his response to the disaster swelled, Bush gave him a public vote of confidence, saying, "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job."

8. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Wow - never knew that. To hear him and the White House talk of his prior experience, you'd think that he single-handedly saved the Arabian Horse from extinction, gave it human intelligence, and created a perpetual motion machine using Arabian Horses. Which, to me, of course, means he's qualified to run FEMA. ;)

Political forum indeed... Here we go!

9. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

At least I learned a new word, cronyism. I will use this word a lot now. :D

10. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

"and created a perpetual motion machine using Arabian Horses"

:eek: i've been looking for a thesis topic, and here it is! :D

11. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Didn't Congress have to approve Michael Brown's appointment to FEMA?

12. mac-er macrumors 65816

No. He is an undersecretary.

Only cabinet members are confirmed by a simple majority of the US Senate. (House doesn't vote on them)

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

so hes not in charge of the Hurricane's cleanup, but the bad part is that he still has his job, one that he is not qualified for. :mad:

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That would be hilarious if it weren't so pathetic, and involve the deaths of so many people. I mean, The Daily Show writers have the easiest job on Earth, thanks to this administration. You couldn't make up stuff like this.

15. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Just in case some think the problem is all about Brown, check out this article in the Washington Post. It's awful high price the people of the Gulf Coast are paying in order for Bush to play his patronage games.

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

even if they did, and the dems had any questions, they'd be labeled as obstructionist.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The head of FEMA is no longer a cabinet-level post, so I don't think he's subject to confirmation by Congress.

18. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Apparently Lieberman was involved in what was a largely pro-forma confirmation hearing for Brown's old position before FEMA was subsumed by DHS. Expect him to be blamed for Brown being in that position shortly. Not that I mind, Lieberman can take a long walk off a short pier for all I care, but I'm sure we'll be hearing how Lieberman is at fault just like Clinton and the Dems are at fault for Iraq because 'they saw the same intelligence'.

Of course if, as Zim pointed out, the Dems had raised any objections to Brown's nomination, there would have been cries of obstructioninsm from the right.

How dare you ask questions of Roberts? contrasted with Why didn't you ask questions of Brown?

20. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

I am. I think the local and federal goverment (FEMA in particular) failed all in the preparation phase.
    but what was a real disgrace was the absurd and surreal lack of response after the initial relief that it was a near miss. the magnitude of the immediate ineptitude and comments of FEMA and federal officials, including our beloved president is appalling. especially after all the post 9/11 bs we have been fed.
    at the end of the day, a disaster of this magnitude, once it occurrs, should be dealt with by the only ones who have the resources and the logistics to deal with it: the federal government.

21. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I am. I think the accountability runs from the mayor all the way up to the President, with quite a few people in between. Regardless of political party.

22. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Well, as long as they're good friends and there's a buck to be made, everything will be OK in the world.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/diary/story/0,,1565941,00.html

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You should live in Chicago. That word is in the newspapers about a thousand times a day. :)

24. diamond geezer macrumors regular

Wow he's leaving FEMA in disgrace, I wonder if that's going to effect his employment prospects or whether they've lined him up another cushy job.

The previous FEMA Chief is now a lobbyist for KBR, a Halliburton company.

How much of the money for the clean up will go to Halliburton companies?

It's just a big money-go-round, like Iraq.

25. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I hear a lot of talk of Fema but didnt Fema get disolved into the Dept of Homeland Defense? If so i think the Feds will try to make Fema look bad when its dept of homeland defense that should?