FEMA Director Michael Brown resigns

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Sep 12, 2005.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

No surprise there.

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If only!

4. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

That's about as elusive as the 3 GHz PPC.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That could conceivably still happen. Try the Powerbook G5....

6. mac-er macrumors 65816

I would bet my marbles that he was told to resign. This wasn't by choice.

Back to the horses for him...

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Interesting that this was allowed to happen on the first day of the Roberts hearing. You would have thought Rove would have wanted this taken care of over the weekend instead of allowing it to overshadow the opening day of the Senate hearings.

But yeah, no surprise Brownie's out. And I'm sure Bush wasn't too happy that Democrats got to call for Brown's job and then Brown resigned. That doesn't look good and is also highly uncharacteristic for this administration. On the other hand it gives the Democrats one less prime target. The administration isn't having to defend leaving Brown in his position - a basically impossible thing to do.

Brown f'ed up so bad Bush may have to come up with a medal higher than the Medal of Freedom Tenet got. :p

8. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Of course. He was dazed and confused. He didn't seem to realize the gravity of his incompetence. This was way over his head. This **** is going to the top.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

They're not exactly in short supply.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Of course not, but none quite as juicy of a target as the guy who went on TV and admitted to not knowing the Superdome was full of people who needed help a full 24 hours after it was broadcast on national TV stations. And ultimately it is FEMA that is directly responsible for disaster awareness. Other federal officials are responsible for not knowing or not realizing or not wanting to get involved, including Bush, but they have a more indirect responsibility than Brownie. So yes, there are other targets. But it will be harder to get to them both because they can point to this as them doing something about the problem, and because Brown can now be blamed for everything by anyone with anything at stake. Chertoff's got some 'splaining to do, and the WH should explain why they didn't assign any high-level person to monitor this stuff for the president. But those questions can be avoided with careful obfuscation and/or technicalities.

Note I'm not saying this is good. This is some devils-advocate stuff, how it will be spun by the right. The fall guy has been found, and it's a low enough person that no one high up gets tainted by it. And it's not like patronage appointments are something Republicans just invented. Of course Clinton was smart enough to know that the head of FEMA had to be competent. Other agencies and ambassadorships could be used sure, but the head of FEMA was competent.

And the next head of FEMA better damn well have some experience in disaster management.

11. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Chertoff should be next along with all the political appointees in FEMA. Good riddance, Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job!

12. mac-er macrumors 65816

I love you, mactastic!

This was so subtle, but I laughed my ass off.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Not only would you win that bet, you would clean house betting that the conversation was unpleasant for Brown.

Interesting sig...

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

"You probly think this sig is about you, don't you?" And I quote.

15. mac-er macrumors 65816

"Don't you, don't you"
    "You're soooo vainnnn."

Actually, I put that in there...and then 2 minutes later, I was like..
    "Oh yeah, mactastic."
    But, I figured I'd boost his ego by leaving it in there.

16. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

FEMA stands for ...

Now that Michael Brown is out will somebody please distribute the handkerchiefs and tissue boxes. How on earth will my central nervous system ever get used to the seismic shock of such a news event?

And for declaring on TV that his boy Brownie was doing a heckuva job, President Bush deserves to be taken to Bethesda Naval Hospital for an EEG. The reason he was so impressed by the FEMA loser is because Bush sees a reflection of himself whenever he is within close distance of ineptitude and mediocrity.

The true hidden meaning of what the FEMA acronym stands for:

Failed Example of Management A*******

17. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Wow, didn't see that coming. :rolleyes:

So many good diversions today in the media from the future of choice, civil rights, and the Supreme Court hearings on Roberts. Kudos to 'ya Rove - if only the Left could spin half as well. :rolleyes:

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

...wherever you are!

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Actually, they didn't want him either. Can't find the link, but he was fired from that job too. I was figuring he'd resign, or go for early retirement or something. That's what he was planning on doing later this year anyway (so they've said). But I guess BushCo has to put on their best show and make him the fall guy. Of course, it was his fault... but that 38% is still going to hold on to the idea that Bush is a good Pres. and that none of this is his fault.

Now who was it that hired Brown in the first place? He was buddies with him, got him a cushy job that he was woefully unqualified for. He's done that with a bunch of really important positions. It's on the tip of my tongue. :rolleyes:

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

and guess who's the last to know about brown's resignation. bush!

link to QT movie

unreal what he's saying, about how it's unbelievable that people came from all over the country to help out. we're americans, you *******. please remember that you don't represent us nor share our values. now go give KBR another no-bid, cleanup contract.

21. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

It looks like the fellow who is to replace "Brownie" actually has some experience in the field. Imagine that, it only took the largest natural disaster in the nation's history for Bush to get the message. Of course, if he'd replaced him with another political hack certain southern states may have seceded again.

New York Times

edit: Uh oh! Now I'm hearing reports that Paulison is the guy who brought us the miracle of duct tape as an anti-terrorist device. Somehow that doesn't inspire confidence.

22. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

:eek:
    i'd reccomend listerine

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Actually, I kind of have to say- this is one thing they did right. He's gone. I actually thought they might keep him.

24. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I knew he would resign but I'm suprised at how quickly it happened. I figured in a month or two he would suddenly have the urge to spend time with a sick relative :rolleyes:

25. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    thanks for the link zim.

holy cow bush must have a degenerative brain disease...or maybe he just has a huge bowl of moron for breakfast every day.

nice of him to admit the reporters know more than him. geez, the man has no grasp of reality much less the scope of his job responsibilities...such as being informed.