Fender or Gibson?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TheDance511, Mar 3, 2007.

1. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

For all you guitar players out there... Some of you guys are Fender guys and some of you are Gibson guys....some of you are neither..and you sacrafice sound quality for the decision :) ... But which are you.. I have a 2004 Gibson Flying V (Black) and a 1983 Fender Stratocaster (3 color sunburst)... Both of them are nice but Fender is my sound.. The Gibson is still awsome.. But which are you?:cool: and for you Non-Musicians...Chevy or Dodge

P.S. Mods...Don't close this thread :D its legit :D

2. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

Fender tele' all the way for me! Although I can't afford one of my own yet...

I love Ovation acoustic/electrics as well :D

3. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Although I'm not a guitarist (I kinda play bass), I've always preferred the sound of Fenders...

4. TheDance511 thread starter macrumors 6502

yes fenders are nice and smooth i think gibson are for all you metal heads out there....but im mroe asy going so fender jaguar all the way... white with brown pearloid pickguard YA ! :D

5. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Fender vs Gibson? Isn't this the "holy war" for the guitar world?

For my money, there's hardly a better sound to be had than the sound had with an old Fender Telecaster. I love it.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

G&L > Fender for me

G&L Strat, transparent blue

I have a Yamaha Paul-style with humbuckers, its nice, but not spine-tingling like the G&L.

I'd get a Godin Multi-ac if I had the money.

Still undecided over a hollowbody...

7. RajK macrumors newbie

RajK

I'm a Gibson man myself. Fenders are nice, but not what I'm looking for in sound.

However, I fully intend on having several Fenders when I'm rich and can afford them.

8. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

for guitars, they both have their places. The Gibson's humbuckers give better punch than the single coils, but the SCs give a much sharper sound. It's all about the sound you want.

For bass, out of the two, there is no competition. Fender make much better basses than Gibson. When i was buying my Jazz Bass (see sig and google it), i played a whole lot of stuff; warwicks, spectors, fender Js, fender Ps, Gibsons, Music Man, etc. The Gibsons sounded dull and unexciting, and they felt hard and cheap. Whenever I played the Fender Jazz, it was bright, easy to play, responsive, and just fantastic to play. Those who have lusted after a single guitar in a shop know what i'm talking about.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I prefer the Gibson. On a sound level they're just more appealing to me, and they simply look stunning, just seems to me that a Fender doesn't look like it's worth that much to a non-musician, but an SG or Les Paul? Phwar!

Of course I'm just a piano/synth guy now so...

10. jonharris200 macrumors 6502

jonharris200

11. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

I've got a Les Paul, which is nice, but I've got an Epiphone LP100 (with Seymour Duncan LP-59's) that I like a lot better.

I've had two Stratocasters, an Ovation hollowbody electric (which was awesome), and even an EKO. Out of all of them, the LP100 is my favorite. I'd rate the Les Paul 2nd.

...the two Fenders...eh. They sound awesome, but my style doesn't particularly lend itself to their sound. And they never stayed in tune that well for me. In the right hands they're the bomb, though. Nice instruments.

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I should clarify, a lacquer Besson, with a big (12") bell. Although smaller bells have their places. I'll have to try a silver plated Besson some time...

13. jsm4182 macrumors 6502

I've always liked fender. I have a tele and two squiers. I do have an epiphone dot studio, its the only guitar from gibson/epiphone I've ever liked the feel of.

14. apple1984 macrumors member

apple1984

If I had to choose between the two, I would definitely say Fender. But overall, I would have to choose Rickenbacker as my axe-maker of choice. I play a Rickenbacker 4003 bass, a Fender Precision, and an Epiphone Les Paul. I tried several gibsons when I was shopping for a new bass, but they just didn't have the right sound or feel, so I would with the fireglo rick. Rick FTW baby! Although I still use my precision, and fender is my exclusive provider of amplification.