Fender Roland-Ready Strat?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by intrepkid21, Jul 15, 2004.

1. intrepkid21 macrumors regular

Anyone have any experience using this guitar in Garageband (is it even compatible)? I think it would be insanely fun to drive the GB software instruments with a guitar instead of the stupid MIDI keyboad I have (only because I can't play piano at all..). Any input would be appreciated!

(yes, I posted this on the Garageband forum..but it has been dead today and I want to go shopping for this guitar asap..hope I am not breaking any rules here..)

2. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I think that this is the guitar John Mayer used at the keynote when Garageband was introduced. But I might be wrong. ;)

3. intrepkid21 thread starter macrumors regular

Haha how could you tell? John was just demoing the amps with the guitar..he played a keyboard to show off the software instruments..

4. Bhennies macrumors 6502

As long as it's got a standard MIDI out, I don't see why not. Ask somebody at the store.

5. kanker macrumors 6502

The guitar will have to be plugged into a Roland Guitar Synth that will convert the guitar's output into a MIDI signal, which you can then use to control GB. The cable that goes from the guitar to the synth sends the signal from pickups under each individual string to the synth, instead of the standard block style guitar pickup that fundamentally picks up all strings at once.

6. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

I use to program Cubase with a Strat with GK2 pick up pluged into a Roland GR-50, then midi out into my Atari ST running cubase ( this was quite a few years a go :D) It did work quite well bit the guitarsynth did put out quite a few bum notes, usualy short & at a low volume, you wouldn't notice them if you were playing directly into another synth, but when cubase had quantized the notes they became a pain. I would then have to go back then edit the section to delete all these bum notes. I found that if i recored at a slower BPM the guitarsynth would give out a lot less bum notes. I would hope that the Midi pickup are are a lot better now, compared to when I used then back in the late 80s. What you need its a SynthAxe