fending off the Knights!

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by meeble, May 17, 2005.

1. meeble macrumors member

heya folders,

just wanted to let you know i'm making a charge again in the next week or two to keep the Knights from overtaking us. my output may double for the summer if things work out the way i hope.

lets all make a push, shall we?

peAce-
    meeble

2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Ow no! Not those tin cans again... Although I missed a good taunting, maybe we should let them come closer first. :D

3. meeble thread starter macrumors member

oh those taunts will come sooner than you think - I can almost hear them now...

4. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Well we appear (well my comptuers) to be in the middle of a Tinker storm, all of my macintosh computers have been hit hard, and take quite a long time to complete them.

I will try to keep my numbers up, I will leave my work laptop on when I drive home today, so it can fold in my car :D

5. brap macrumors 68000

I'm back folding for 3446, finally fixed the PC earlier this week.

Production's been low because I've been running it at it's bleeding edge for a couple of days. Math errors don't sit too well with the F@H software :eek:

Hopefully found the sweet spot now, though, so long as it doesn't burst into flames.

6. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

I posted in the Tinker Storm thread

Listen guys: I want to fold and I want to join the team. I have only a P4 PC to offer, but it will fold 24/7, and no one uses it. It should help, no?

Also, if you guys can assure and walk me through it, I will GULP, fold with my iMac G5 at home when it just sits there sleeping. I am away from home about ten hours a day, and use it only about 2-4 hours a night.

I would rather not fold on the iMac... convince me though! The PC at work is ready to go. I also have a Dell tower from 1999 that can fold. Is that one even worth it?

Please advise.

7. brap macrumors 68000

It should indeed... All P4s, even the 'silly willies' have SSE2, which greatly helps with certain work units. If it's a work machine, though, you may encounter firewall issues.
    Don't then. It'll only be loud, hot and annoying - like folding on a laptop. But others may disagree...
    Sure, if it's a Pentium 3 or higher. Anything without SSE isn't going to be worth it; a whole lot of effort for very little reward.

8. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Great!

How do I get started?
    It works for SETI, correct?
    How di I join this specific team?

BTW: I work in a small office: the firewall should not be an issue.

9. brap macrumors 68000

Well, there's the MR FAQ, which is at the head of the distributed computing forum ;)

Basically, just download one of the windows clients from folding.stanford.edu, choose a username, make sure team is set to 3446 - it'll ask you upon installation, and you're good to go.

Just to note.. this is nothing to do with the SETI distributed effort.

10. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Thanks

I will join with PC as soon as I get a chance. We'll give the Knights a fight :D

11. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Go ahead and fold with it, my powerbook folds almost continuously.

12. meeble thread starter macrumors member

I would go for it - it can't hurt - especially if its under warranty. It will burn in the G5 CPU for you - if it runs well for a few days, you're good to go. I folded on my G4 powerbooks for a long time - yeah, they got hotter, but not unbearably - unless you actually put one on your lap. :D

peAce-
    meeble

13. meeble thread starter macrumors member

it may be another 7-10 days, but expect my output to take a jump...