Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JaguarGod

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
Story here at IMG!

Official Dirt 2 Mac Website

Simply cannot wait! Racing games like the current ones I am working on are small and barely make a splash. High profile games like these are badly needed on the Mac to really keep the pulse of serious native Mac racing games alive. Thank you Feral for taking an interest in releasing Mac versions of these racing games. It's gonna look great on my new Mac racing sim setup.

Vision Racer VR3 New "Carbon" Unit with modded keyboard holder
G27 Wheel
27" LED 1080P monitor (waiting for the triple monitor stand from Vision Racer later this year)
1000w Audio System (only 2.1 though)
Buttkicker LFE
Modded Mac Pro built into Thermaltake Level 10 BMW Design Case

PowerGamerX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
A good step forward, but isn't Dirt 3 out on PC now?

Yeah, but it's better than nothing. I'd prefer Dirt or Dirt 3 as they're much better games than the second one, but, take what you can get I spose.

On another note, didn't Feral do Colin McRae Mac as well?

Edit: Also, they're charging $40 for it, which is still a bit pricey, but it's better than paying full price for an older game like normal

JaguarGod

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
I still think Colin McRae 5 (Colin McRae Rally Mac) is the best in the series. It is old now, but it sticks to the original rally format and is very pure. I have to admit that I enjoyed Dirt 2 very much, but I am very excited to have the opportunity to play through it again on the Mac. I will take whatever I can get when it comes to Mac racing games.

As far as Dirt 3, it is a fun game. But it has a lot of extras that I am really not into.

just hope that Dirt 2 sells well for them as I would like to keep seeing more racing games come from Feral.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
I'm a Mac guy through and through, but not for gaming do to its obvious short comings. I honestly don't know why you'd bother with the Mac side for these sort of game and just stick with Windows via a dual-boot option.

Before seeing that you had a G27, I had no idea Logitech's wheels even worked on a Mac. There's no driver support for my G25, but I suppose the game can handle it.

JaguarGod

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
I'm a Mac guy through and through, but not for gaming do to its obvious short comings. I honestly don't know why you'd bother with the Mac side for these sort of game and just stick with Windows via a dual-boot option.

Before seeing that you had a G27, I had no idea Logitech's wheels even worked on a Mac. There's no driver support for my G25, but I suppose the game can handle it.
Yes, the Mac has been severely neglected when it comes to the gaming side of computers. But I have used Macs since the early 90's and have always wanted them to be my main computers, whether it is productivity or gaming. Also, I know that just one person's support does not really mean much in the grand scheme of things, but I want to support these games to at least know that I have done all I can to add to the voices to get more high profile games released.

Logitech's wheels work very well (including FFB) with Mac racing games. Best idea is to download Input Calibrator and calibrate the wheel first. On the intel Mac side, you may need to let the computer start, then plug in the G27 to make sure it works correctly and I have not been able to get Input Calibrator to recognize the H-Shifter. The wheel will work if you leave it plugged in when you start up, but the 900 degrees of rotation does not always center correctly. When you unplug, then plug it back in again, it resets the wheel. But you do lose the 900 degrees of rotation, but the wheel is wonderful to use in this state.

The Momo works perfectly with just about all the racing games you can throw at it. I do not use it much anymore, but it was a main wheel many years ago.

I used to have a G25 working on the PPC side and it worked great with Total Immersion Racing, Redline, F1 2000 CS, VGP3, VGP2, Nascar 2003, Rally Shift (no ffb) and the Colin McRae Rally Mac.

The G27 is the best wheel for Mac right now as it works well and the FFB also works. I have a Thrustmaster T500 and the F430 wheels which work on the Mac, but no FFB.:( Without FFB, it really is not worth it.

This all being said, I do have a Racing PC for iRacing and NetKar Pro. So I am guilty of that and not ultimately a purist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.