Ferrari abandon F1 breakaway plan

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Jan 19, 2005.

1. iGav macrumors G3

Well this all but kills the GPWC doesn't it. Now this has come as quite a surprise as LdM was only saying a few weeks ago that the GPWC was still going ahead, looks like the threat has paid off though and Bernie is willing to share the profits more equally amongst the teams.

I wonder if DaimlerChrysler (Mercedes), Renault and BMW (Williams) will follow suit??

All I hope is that in 6 years time, all the teams don't start bitching about money again... that's the one thing that has REALLY irritated me about the current situation regarding revenue distribution, no one forced the teams to sign the previous Concorde Agreement and they all understood the agreement and the way it works, yet several years after they start moaning about it.

It's not like there's not enough money in the sport at the moment is there...? even if all the teams receive more money it'd be proportionate to to what it is now, so it'd make no difference at all in the grand scheme of things... if a team can't be competitive on $150 million budget, what makes them think that a $200 million one would make them more competitive when Ferrari's will have gone up the same amount?

Also I am wondering if Ferrari have signed just to p*ss on the parades of the other teams who've seem determined to beat Ferrari off the track instead of on it by coming up with silly agreements throughout off season?? hmmmmmmm.

rinky dink link

Thoughts??

2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I never believed it would happen.

Or maybe I just didn't believe that we would see another IRL/CART situation like we have in the US. I think it puts too much pressure on each individual series to share the market so that they are struggling for solvency rather than concentrating on the racing.

Ferarri is kicking everybody's a**. So the ball is in the other teams' court. They've got money, they've got drivers capable of winning, so stop whining and put up a real fight for once already!

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    yeah a new series isnt the solution. we need competitive teams!!!

4. VincentVega macrumors regular

Ferrari = Judas.

:)

This doesn't mean the end of the GPWC, IMHO. There's an agreement between Ferrari, the FIA and Bernie. That doesn't mean the extension of the Concorde Agreement. It needs all the teams to sign, not just Team Schumi.

It'll be interesting to see what'll happen in the coming days and weeks (and the response from the GPWC). What could happen is that the GPWC buy the shares in SLEC from the three banks and get control of the commercial rights that way.

More of a concern to me is the dreadful rules that are in place: no more tyre changes, nasty grooved tyres, long-life engines, too much aerodynamics, too much testing and the abject failure of Williams, McLaren and Renault to get on terms with Ferrari.

5. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I think it does as a viable championship series, at the moment there's only 3 teams now in the GPWC and 2 of those (BMW and Renault) have questioned the future viability of participation in motorsport at this level.

They'll sign... ;) they might make an issue of it but eventually they'll sign, they have almost no choice now. The manufacturers are well aware of the 'value' Ferrari brings, hence why they were prepared (according to rumours) to pay them $50+ million just to join the GPWC consortium.

No Ferrari = MASSIVE loss of revenues, and a serious lack of credibility as an F1 rival.

One would assume that Bernie has made changes to the Concorde Agreement that satisfies the original issues that the teams had regarding revenue distribution and more involvement in the running of the sport. As far as I'm aware the same agreement has been given to all of the teams not just Ferrari.

Won't happen, you can bet your life Bernie has a clause and first digs on those. ;)

Ditto... ;)

I just don't see how the changes are going to improve racing at all, Williams and McLaren are more than capable of closing the gap and making for a competitive season. Implementing silly half arsed rules to try and halt Ferrari's domination off the track just waters down the F1 World Championship.

Either way though... this year is looking like it could be a cracker, Ferrari compromised by not running the new 2005 spec car until the 5th race, McLaren's new car actually penned by Newey with Kimi and Montoya wanting to lay claim, BAR gaining serious Honda $$$ and backing, Renault with Alonso and finally Fisi getting into a race winning car... this could be a cracker of a season.

Or Schumi could win all 19 races. heheheh

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I'll believe it when I see it.

...But I hope you're right. ;)

7. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I think it could throw up some good surprises... ;) Ferrari not having a new car for 4 races is a MAJOR disadvantage in some respects, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't win any of the first 4 races because of this, all they need to do is keep in touch, since the points rules were changed coming 2nd isn't as bad as it once was because you only lose 2 points now instead of 4. I have no doubt though that the F2005 will be awesome though.

So I've read, Newey has been hard at work on the MP4-20 (he didn't have much input in the 18/19 fiasco until he fixed up the 19 to the 19B) and they've got 2 hugely strong drivers in Kimi and Montoya wanting to fight for No. 1 status (kimi will win the battle there).

Williams came on strong towards the end of last season, especially 2nd in Suzuka and winning in Brazil, I think they'll carry that momentum through.

BAR are looking very impressive in testing already with their 2005 Spec car, and if we go by their testing last season when everyone thought they were running light to set false times then they should be right up there as well.

Renault have Fisi in the team, a driver who some rate only behind MS, and he's racing against the much vaunted (I don't agree) Alonso, which like McLaren should be fascinating to see who comes out on top there.

And my darkhorse tip for 2005, Sauber... ;) have you seen their new car! :eek: and they're on Michelins this season as well... (remember what BAR said about how much time they found when they switched).

In all honesty, this is the strongest grid line I can remember for many a season. ;)

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

If you take ferrari out of the equation you'd have a SUPER competetive season for sure. Three or four teams virtually neck and neck the whole season...

I think Mclaren has the best driver combo (oustide Ferrari of course), and they could hardly build a worse car than last season's - especially, as you said, that Newey has a bigger hand in things. Maybe we'll finally see this "rivary" they're always talking about. With a good car Kimi can beat MS - and if that doesn't work Montoya will be close enough to cause a crash. :) :p

9. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

The Mclarens and the BARs are certainly the most interesting cars on the grid. The BARs have a very noticeable dip on the front wing underneath the actual nose, whereas the Mclarens have that dip plus the very thin nose of last year. The Williams seems very conservative and the Sauber...well...its just a rebadged Ferrari again, isn't it? With the Villeneuve ego instead of Schumacher! :D

I personally think this year Mclaren will be the closest challengers, with Button chipping in with the odd run.

10. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I'm looking forward to seeing the McLaren, now that Adrian Newey has picked up his pen again. Rumours are though that he is going to return to Williams after his contract expires mid this season, he hasn't seemed quite the same since the Jaguar fiasco a few seasons ago, and some question his motivation within his Tech Director role at McLaren. I wouldn't be surprised to see him pack it in though and design that racing yatch he's always on about.

Out of the launches so far, the new Toyota is hugely conservative, not really exhibiting anything radical, and although not entirely evolutionary it looks like they maybe haven't taken a big enough risk with their car to get towards the front of the grid, that said Gascoyne is pretty damn good so fingers crossed on that one, although I think they'll need it.

The new BAR looks like a tightly packed design, with a relatively radical front wing (I say relative because compared to Williams last season, it's conservative. heheh) and the rear is really tightly packaged... not quite to the F2003-GA standards though. With the extra input from Honda, they could be right on it straight from the start.... history dictates that Honda don't f**k about in F1, they win... and they dominate in the process.

Of all the new cars launched though, the new Sauber is the biggest surprise, 2 things stand out... the front wing and the size of the side pods, incredibly small. Considering they'll be using the same engine as Ferrari, one could guess that the F2005 will maybe have a similar approach on side pod size, but the whole car is really tightly packaged around the rear.

I really feel that Sauber will be the seasons surprise package, last season they were very quick in race trim, but suffered because of bad quali performance from the Ferraristone... errr I mean Bridgestone tyres, and I'm expecting them to see the same kind of performance jump as BAR did when they switched to Michelin last season.

Anyway... I'm still edging towards a cracker of a season. ;)

Not long to go now! :D

11. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

It'll be interesting next when the new rules come in. With only Ferrari of the big teams using Bridgestones, I can't imagine Bridgestone being chosen as the main tyre supplier. Since all the rest having at least a 2 years leap on Ferrari by using Micchelin, I can see a barren period for Ferrari for the next 2 years (fingers crossed!). We need all the other teams to improve their reliability to somewhere near Ferrari's (no engine probs for BAR, no vibrating chassis from Mclaren etc), all the drivers to get on decently (Montoya!) and no Schumi...well...we can but pray. ;)

But I think Williams will struggle - new drivers etc
    Mclaren should do well (as long as Montoya doens't prang Raikonnen

And the Sauber does look radical. I don't know the mechanics or a very raised front wing or short sidepods. Maybe it means there is more air going under the base of the car which then flows over the sidepods creating greater downforce? :confused: Looks really strange in those colours. Slightly weak on the nose - must have been tight on the crash tests! Not sure aboot Villeneuve or Massa there - could be tempestuos!