Ferrari builds a 4x4

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGav, Oct 18, 2005.

1. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Don't worry folks, hell hasn't frozen over just yet. ;)

Makes you wonder for the future though doesn't it, now that the Veyron has raised the BHP stakes to nearly a 1000BHP, next generation supercars are really going to need to be in the 800+ ball park, and such prodigious power through 2 wheels on even the fattest road tyres becomes nothing more than a lesson in the competency of the traction control system, on anything other than the most perfect of surfaces.

Ideal layout for me, mid-engine (rear of course ;)), 4WD with a 70/30 rear power bias... :D

Rinky dink link

2. yg17 macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO

I think I want one :D
  3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    for performance, not a bad idea - and its 4 wheel drive on demand....

As long as they don't make an SUV :p

4. neocell macrumors 65816

May 23, 2005
    Great White North
    Well Lamborghini made a SUV a couple of decades ago that just stinks of pre-Hummer styling. Don't know how successful it was but obviously the Hummer sure has been successful. A Ferrari SUV would definitely get some attraction, though I agree with you, it'd be blasphemous.
  5. Altima3.5 macrumors newbie

May 2, 2005
    Amen to that! Porsche lost a lot of credibility with me when they built that stupid Cayenne - I know they've made a ton of money from it, but come on Porsche, you're a sports car company!!!!

Since Ford took over Aston Martin, I've been waiting for the Aston Martin pickup truck!
  6. dansuz1 macrumors member

May 7, 2003
    Washington, D.C.
    And look for more cars made from aluminum in the future.

Ferrari and Alcoa Announce Strategic Partnership to Develop Advanced Spaceframe Technology; Alcoa Also to Open New, Larger Plant in Modena, Italy

MARANELLO, Italy--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 18, 2005--Ferrari and Alcoa (NYSE:AA) announced today the formation of a long-term strategic partnership focused on creating advanced aluminum spaceframe technology for future generations of Ferrari vehicles. At the same time, Alcoa announced that it will open a new, larger spaceframe manufacturing facility in Modena, Italy, in the second quarter of 2006.
  7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    That's exactly what I thought when I read the title of this thread, I was horrified! :eek:
  8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Crap, you scared the hell out of me! :p

No, hell froze over when Porsche made an SUV. From reading the thread title, I though Satan was grabbing his parka and cursing mankind's desire for SUVs at this point. And yes, Satan can curse. It's not like he can be in any more trouble, or go any deeper into Hell.
  9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

Jan 14, 2002
    totally cool
  10. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

Jan 30, 2004
    having a drink at Milliways
    I remember the LM002. I think Nigel Mansell had one and the Saudi Army a bunch of them. the thing was massive and fast. IIRC it could do 130 mph on sand dunes and had the countach engine
  11. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    1) I've always wanted a Ferrari and the 612 is a great looking car.
    2) I've no problem with 4WD, or Porsche building SUV's etc, as long as each car works in it's own right. Heritage doesn't mean a great deal to me.
    3) I really want to love sports cars but over the last couple of years just can't bring myself to. What I'd really love right now is an electric car that worked on all levels.
    4) Charlotte Church. You would, wouldn't you.
  12. mfacey macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2004
    I guess it'll be the sensible way to go without putting some really intrusive traction control systems into the cars. Lamborghini's two current models both have 4WD systems, so why not?

Very "un-ferrari-like" though, if you ask me!
  13. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Yep... but I don't know why. :D
  14. takao macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    well it's not the first 4wd drive they designed... i remember something about some prototypes during the 80ties when Ferrari consider joining group-b racing .. for which purpose the Porsche 959 was designed as well but group got canceled and then the 4wd ferrari was pretty much dead