Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parrothead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2003
Edmonds, WA
This is probably one of the most horrifying stories I have ever seen.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/12/17/missouri.fetus/index.html

Amber Alert issued after fetus removed from woman's body
Police seeking red Honda hatchback

Friday, December 17, 2004 Posted: 2:56 PM EST (1956 GMT)

(CNN) -- Missouri authorities have issued an Amber Alert for an infant after a woman, who was eight months' pregnant, was killed and the fetus removed from her body.

Bobbi Jo Stinnett, 23, was slain at about 3 p.m. Thursday (4 p.m. ET) in her house in Skidmore in northwest Missouri.

Authorities said they believe she was strangled with a rope or other type of line.

The fetus was taken from her body, possibly with a knife, Nodaway County Sheriff Ben Espey said Friday.

"I've been in law enforcement 20 years, 12 as sheriff," Espey said. "This is one of the worst ordeals we've had to deal with."

Stinnett's mother found her daughter's body and called 911 at 3:38 p.m. Thursday.

"It was a pretty gruesome sight," Espey said.

An autopsy was under way Friday.
Doctors: Child likely alive

Doctors who examined Stinnett in a hospital emergency room, where she was pronounced dead, said her child likely is alive, Espey said. It would be a month premature, however, and "somebody would have to have knowledge of how to take care of this child."

"Right now, all of us in law enforcement are acting on the possibility and the hope that that child is still alive," Espey said.

Espey said he went to a local member of Congress after he was told that the case did not meet the criteria for an Amber Alert because authorities did not know the child's hair or eye color or any other details.

He said the alert was delayed until about midnight.

"I'm a little disappointed that it happened like it did," he said. "All of us standing here feel like this baby, even though it was taken a month premature, we had a live baby. I feel like that should justify an Amber Alert."

Authorities said that Stinnett was a white woman and the offspring also was believed to be a white female.
Police: Blond hair found in victim's hand

Police are looking for a red, two-door Honda hatchback, a late '80s or early '90s model, Espey said. A similar car was seen overnight in another Missouri county, but authorities lost it during a pursuit.

Blond hair was found clutched in Stinnett's hand and could provide DNA evidence, Espey said. Fingerprints also were found at the scene, but no weapon was discovered, he said. There were no signs of forced entry.

On Friday, FBI agents were headed out of state to check into a lead involving a woman who had come home with a day-old baby but had not gone to a hospital, Espey said. He declined to elaborate.

Stinnett and her husband bred dogs and sold them over the Internet, neighbors said, adding that it was not unusual to see cars parked outside their house.

Neighbor Chris Law said he saw a car at the house about same time authorities believe the slaying occurred, and he said he regrets not going to check on Stinnett.

Stinnett's husband was at work at the time and has been eliminated as a suspect, Espey said. Authorities removed a computer from the home and were attempting to find Internet contacts as part of the investigation.

"Everybody said she's a nice lady," Espey said. "She didn't have any enemies."

One theory under examination is that the baby might be sold, he said.

"When someone would murder somebody and take a child, the reason for that is either they want it themselves, or they can make a profit from it," he said.

Skidmore is about 35 miles north of St. Joseph, Missouri.

CNN's Miriam Falco contributed to this report.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
dear _____

i dont know what to say about this, its frightening and sick, makes me very very sick to my stomach

i hope this guy/girl/person/thing gets caught soon

stoid

macrumors 601
I happen to be good friends with someone who grew up in Skidmore with Bobbi Jo Stinnett, and is now attending NWMSU. I can't even listen to the radio up here, because in almost every commercial break there is an announcement from the Nodaway sheriff department for help from anyone who has information on the crime.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Jesus Tapdancing Christ... This is some crazy story. I hope that kid's alright, would be about the only silver lining for the husband at this point. What a night that guy must have had. And thank God for once we aren't hearing about another chump of a husband who decides he has to kill his wife rather than divorce her... Still freakin horrible though.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Such a senseless act. Just pleased that the baby was found love. Whoever did this had to have some medical knowledge. Since they were able to perform a C-Section. Then to resuscitate and care for a premature infant.
My prayers are with the infant girl and her family. Hopefully she will never know of this horror.

*Y*

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2004
VA
Why would somebody do this kind of a thing. Are children really this valuable? How much does it cost to adopt a child, can anyone please tell me?

snkTab

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2004
Cincinnati, OH
*Y* said:
Why would somebody do this kind of a thing. Are children really this valuable? How much does it cost to adopt a child, can anyone please tell me?

It's the miscarriage that drive women crazy. It's very tramatic. Many resort to kidnapping afterwards. It's hard to see this taken to the extreme. I'd hate to see the death penalty because well, I would say that this makes really good case for temp. insanity.

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
The fact that the woman died later at the hospital means she was alive during the "procedure" (apparently she was tied up).

Being tied up and painfully mutilated is bad enough, but stealing her baby too. That's gotta be one of the worst ways to die, physically and mentally.

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Being awake, unanesthesized, and feeling someone's knife cut into you to steal your baby? *shudder* This is just wrong--right up there with sick stuff like pedophila and stuff.

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
snkTab said:
It's the miscarriage that drive women crazy. It's very tramatic. Many resort to kidnapping afterwards. It's hard to see this taken to the extreme. I'd hate to see the death penalty because well, I would say that this makes really good case for temp. insanity.
I might occasionally buy the temporary insanity idea, when a crime takes 2 seconds to commit... but this is NOT one of those. Somehow torture, mutilation, murder, and kidnapping just don't fit in with the notion that someone is ever going to be "well" enough to rejoin society. What conceivable defense do you foresee for this? "I lost my baby, so it didn't seem wrong to me to tie another woman up, gut her like a fish, and take her baby" ... if it's true, she's even more of a menace than if it isn't.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I would be very interested to hear about the background of Lisa. Amazed that she was able to perform this operation in a home. Just can't imagine doing this without help. I'm sure that Lisa won't have any trouble getting a lawyer to defend her.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
This is just an incredible story. If you haven't clicked on the link since the article was first posted, make sure you do now:

THE LIKELY KIDNAPPER/MURDER HAS BEEN FOUND!

It's amazing that anyone could do this. I wonder if there was some sort of spousal abuse involved.

I was imagining that someone paid a fraudulent "adoption agency" to do the job, but to find out that a woman intending on mothering the child did it is, frankly, shocking.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
snkTab said:
You are kidding right.

This person (lady who confessed) deserves no mercy. The victim was alive when this happened -- she died later. She deserves to be removed from the gene pool.

Temp insanity in this case is total BS. It took someone who was methodical and deliberate in their actions. This is not a spur of the moment/head of passion case. It was premeditated.

FYI, war crimes of this nature have occurred in the past during WWII.

I draw your attention to Unit 731?

http://www.aiipowmia.com/731/731caveat.html

Here is a case of a baby by the doctor who impregnated the woman:

http://www.aiipowmia.com/731/rapedgirlimg.html

Yep, he waited months to do this one!

Pretty grusome.

In this current day case, the victim (mother) suffered a painfull and agonizing death.

Sushi

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
I heard about this. Live vivisections of human beings? Makes one ashamed these "things" belong to our species.

I guess in a time when japanese soldiers had murder competitions and are able to exterminate the population of an entire city (Nanjing) by hand, it isn't very shocking. Thank God WWII is over--although nowadays the same thing is still happening, except in Rwanda/Somalia/The Congo/Sierra Leone etc.

JLS

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2004
Kent, England
China has been found to force abortions on women that carry death sentences (as the law stops pregnant people being executed).

Now that is horrific. And it happens - regularly.

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
JLS said:
China has been found to force abortions on women that carry death sentences (as the law stops pregnant people being executed).

Now that is horrific. And it happens - regularly.

It makes you wonder if any country in the world is actually "civilised"... I know you can't judge a whole country by a few bad people... but still - there's elections in some of these countrys... and still people chose bad people to represent them... Wouldn't happen in America though, surely? :rolleyes:

Judgement day will come soon... :p

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
hob said:
It makes you wonder if any country in the world is actually "civilised"... I know you can't judge a whole country by a few bad people... but still - there's elections in some of these countries... and still people chose bad people to represent them... Wouldn't happen in America though, surely? :rolleyes:

Judgment day will come soon... :p

Yes, judgment day will come for everyone. That is why it's best to always do your best. Punishment doesn't always occur here on Earth. No one really knows what another persons life is really like.

Doga

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2003
Near Montréal, Canada
broken_keyboard said:
I don't think the world is getting worse and worse. There have always been nut cases, it just that these days because of technology we hear about it more.

Exactly.

This crime leaves me speechless - it's heinous and horrifying beyond words. I hope that woman gets the death penalty along with anyone who helped her.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.