Few (hopefully) easy questions :)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by itskiLLjoy, Feb 7, 2007.

1. itskiLLjoy macrumors newbie

1) I like all my folders to be shown in a list format, sorted by type... seems like whenever I set certain windows to be this way, closing them changes it, and I sure as hell don't want to manually change EVERY folder I open to look this way. Anything in Finder to do this that I haven't found yet?

2) When I download things from Unison, it uses crazy folder names, so I like to rename them. For example, I wanted to use the PAR2 filename(minus the extension) as the directory name... In Windows, all I had to do what click on the file to rename it, highlight the text I wanted, and copy. Trying this in Finder has failed me so far.

3) How can I set file associations? Like .nfo to be opened by Textedit or whatever it's called, and PAR2 files to open with UnRarX.

If I can figure this out... and figure out how to tab out of WoW in full screen mode to checkk Thottbot, I will be set.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Find one of the .nfo files in finder. Get Info (Apple+I). Change the 'Open with' option to Textedit, then press the Change All button.

3. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

1) This is an odd Finder issue that someone more eloquent than I can probably explain better...

2) The easiest way is to click on the file, hit return/enter (which highlights the name), and then change it. There is a way to do it with clicking two, but there is very subtle timing involved.

3) If you "get info" on the file then you will see an "Open With" option. You can change it for that specific file or all files of that type.

4. itskiLLjoy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks... I'll try that when I get home in the morning. One down... 2 (kinda 3) to go! lol

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

1. In theory, Finder should remember that you like to view things in list format, but it doesn't always respect that. Sometimes you can convince it by opening a window, changing it to list view, closing the window, and then repeating that a couple of times. But it's a bit buggy. Mine doesn't like to remember that I prefer column view.

2. Click once on the file/folder to select it, then pause for a second. Then click on the name of the file/folder and it will highlight, allowing you to rename it. (Or just hit return after the file is selected.)

6. itskiLLjoy thread starter macrumors newbie

I know HOW to rename... but I want to highlight just part of a filename, and be able to copy that text, and use it to rename another file.... dos that make sense? :confused:

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Once you've selected the file and hit enter, you can select any part of the name of that file and then hit Command-C to copy it. You can then paste that fragment wherever you want. Is that what you're looking for?

8. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

You can copy and paste text from the selected portions of the filename just like any other text. Highlight a portion, cmd+c then choose the next file, highlight the text, cmd+v. Works fine.

9. itskiLLjoy thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll have to try that again... I swore I had done just that and failed earlier tonight, but I was a bit asleep still. ;) Maybe I hit apple-c or something.

EDIT: So, anyone got any suggestions on how to make all my folders show up as List format sorted my kind? *crosses fingers*

10. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Apple-C (better known as Command-C) is indeed the right keystroke for copying (with command-v to paste, of course).

11. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

There are usually work-arounds for just about anything in OS X, but I have to admit (only when there are no PC people around :)) the Finder is probably the biggest weakness in OS X, and it's leagues worse than Vista's windows explorer. I really, really, really hope they fix Finder in Leopard, but of course they won't - it's been broken since the 80's and hope never dies among the Apple faithful, and the cry of FTFF (Fix The F****** Finder) is a neverending cry for decades now. Oh well, you gotta let Windows be better at something! I just wish it wasn't the darn Finder/Windows Explorer :)