Few OS 9 Q's - Whats goin on here?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by slooksterPSV, Oct 2, 2004.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Hey how do I do force quit? What keys do I press? Also, I pressed some keys together and it brought up a window where I could type text, but nothing happened when I typed in quit or exit. What is this window? I think I pressed CTRL ALT T or something like that. What can I do with this window and when I open it, how do I close it?

Thank you for your help with Mac OS 9.2.2

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You press the same keys in MacOS 9 that you press to Force Quit in MacOS X 10. The keys are [Apple]-[Opt]-[Esc].

3. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

IIRC, there's no real way to force quit in OS 9 (at least no OS X style, ie not risking bringing the whole system down).

I think you bring up that box with Cmd-Option-Escpae, but it's been a long time. You can then type commands into that box, but I'll be damned if I can remember what they were.

Bottom line: if an app crashes in OS 9, you're more or less screwed :eek: :eek:

4. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

actually I brough up a force quit window when using a picture viewer program

[EDIT]By the way I love the quote. Its so true[/edit]
    [Edit=2]Oh and yeah it crashed the system afterwards lmao[/edit!2]

5. tom.96 macrumors regular

I have always used this and it sometimes works, however I find that pressing the restart button is often the better bet. Even after a force quit the OS can still misbehave, restarting usually fixes it for me. thats on a machine running only 9.1.

On the X machines I've used I've never had a crash or any need to force quit. maybe time to upgrade :)

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are correct, but that is not the question that slooksterPSV asked. On my OS 9 computer, a beige G3, the reset button sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't. Whether is works or not, it is better to Force Quit the offending application, and then Restart your computer. That way, your computer doesn't have to run through the system check that follows an abnormal shutdown.

7. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

If you hit cmd+ctrl+'power-on' on a os 9 (7 and 8 too) you get open the "programmers box" its a kind of debugger. Commands are ex. 'g finder' (go to finder). If you insatll macbugs you will enter macbugs insted of "programmers box".
    The box is a white window starting with a '>' i think (its been awhile since i used it.)