Few question on mac pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Maurier, Jun 8, 2010.

1. macrumors member

Jun 8, 2010
    Hi will be buying today a 2009 Mac Pro and have a few questions =)
    I will buy it from the store , since i dont have a credit card atm that is my only option.
    It will be standard 2.66Ghz quad core and 6 GB of ram and the nvidia 120.
    Since the store doesn't offer upgrades i will have to buy the ATI 4870 online in few days and how hard is it to replace on a mac pro?
    Also can i buy the apple care in a few months or does it need to be bought at the same time i buy the system?

Thx for help
  2. macrumors regular

Jun 5, 2010
  3. macrumors 601

Sep 14, 2006
    Are you not able to buy Apple gift certificates in store and use them online or get some for of temporary payment card?
  4. macrumors G4

May 6, 2008
    This is definitely doable (example), and can be found in local stores as well, such as a large drug store chain.
  5. macrumors 603

Aug 1, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    You can buy Applecare anytime during the first year of ownership. It's not difficult at all to swap video cards.
  6. macrumors regular

Jan 7, 2007
    I don't think you can get 6 GB of RAM in the store, only the base model with 3 GB is available in store (I was told when I called). I wouldn't pay Apple's crazy prices for RAM either.

I just bought a 2.93 GHz quad to replace my dying 2006 MP 1,1. I opted for the base model for all but the CPU and then bought 12 GB or RAM from OWC, a 240 GB Agility 2 SSD, and 3 2TB Caviar Blacks. A lot cheaper and easy to get the add-on bits from other than Apple. If I decide to change the video card, I'll probably wait until the newer options come out, but for what I do the GT 120 is probably good enough.
  7. CCK
    macrumors member

Feb 14, 2010
    You can also put in just 2x4Gbs ram in it from OWC if your tight on $. Then you can go up to 16 if you should need to.
  8. macrumors 6502

Jun 20, 2007
    Does that debit card of yours have a Visa/Mastercard logo on it? If so you can use it as a CC.
  9. macrumors 6502

Jun 12, 2010

I just sold for 2000.00 my 2008 Harpertown 3.0 for the 2.66 2009 quad core. I just felt that for what I use the machine for it was overkill from the very beginning. I don't use pro apps at all, however I do play games and at 23, I am a hard core gamer.. but I just wanted a mac instead of a PC.

Also, do you know if its possible (should I decide to go dual) to remove the single processor tray and replace it with the dual? In other words, say I got ahold of a processor tray with 2.26 dual processors.. can I just remove the single tray and replace that without having to buy a whole new machine?