Few questions before i switch.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Next Tuesday, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

BEfore i start, i have used pc's for over 15 years. Im so sick of them. Im ready to switch. I use AOL daily. Does anyone that currently uses a mac use AOL? Is it the same? Is there an AOL for mac app? Also, i use myspace alot. Ive heard rumors that myspace doesnt load correctly using safari or firefox? ANy suggestions?

2. PillarFan1 macrumors member

My girlfriend still has AOL (she lives where there isn't cable), and it is the same as pc. (google search of: aol mac, yields your answer http://www.apple.com/macosx/applications/aol/)

I can load most myspace sites fine with firefox, but ones that are full of media crap take a while to load.

3. Next Tuesday thread starter macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Thanks Pillar.

4. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Myspace loads up fine. Its just peoples videos that are in .wma... they slow the page down.

5. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

I am a PC switcher as well who has had this iMac for a month.

Myspace works a little better on some myspace pages in Safari, but overall both browsers work pretty well. I've had Firefox crash in a blog once or twice on that site, but overall nothing major.

6. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

I think you will find that AOL on the Mac is nearly identical to the PeeCee. The only major, on-going issue is emailing attachments. AOL loves to strip attachments, corrupt them and/or drop their extensions. That problem has been going on for years and although it is better now, it still remains an annoyance for Mac users.

7. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

I use myspace as well, and it's not Safari that doesn't load it properly- every browser I use crashes when using it (Safari, FF, Camino, IE...) It's so crap its unbelievable. All you have to do is look at myspace funny and it refuses to co-operate.

I cant share my experiences about AOL. I'd rather gouge my eyes out with a rusty spoon than use it. Is there not an alternative you can use where you are?

8. kevin.getrhythm macrumors newbie

There must be something else going on, because I haven't had any trouble whatsoever loading myspace on Safari. Video's load fine and everything.

9. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

You might be better off downloading AOL Connect and using that to connect to the service. You can then use Mail.app for your AOL mail (if you need help with that, PM me), Firefox for web browsing, and any IM program.

10. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

No, people overload their sites with a bunch of crap and it takes forever to load since it's multiple plug-ins that need to be loaded. What more do you expect from pre-teen girls and other stupid kids?

11. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

I wish it did here! Haha. It crashes on my iMac, on my dads PC and also on IE on my college network. Maybe it's rubbish in England :rolleyes:

12. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

Hear Hear!

13. kevin.getrhythm macrumors newbie

Englad may be the problem then. Kind of funny since I always thought highly of England, but maybe I should still think higher of them, if they don't like myspace, because myspace is really a dumb thing.

14. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

It really is quite pointless (Yes I'm being hypocritical because I use it every so often) but then quite a few pointless things on the internet tend to be popular. If they released MySpace v2.0 without all the dodgy code and random crashes then hurrah! At the moment I find it hard to scroll some peoples profiles- you move your mouse 10ft on your desk and then the page scrolls down about 2mm ever 5 seconds. Anyway, I'm sure you've all had enough of my MySpace rantings for one day :)

15. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

AOL, Myspace, PCs... aaarrrrgggghhh my ears are bleeding! :D

16. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I would really recommend this. AOL's software is a disease.