Few questions from a switcher.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by smurfsgonewild, Jul 23, 2004.

1. smurfsgonewild macrumors member

Ok, where to begin. I just got my 15" Powerbook today and I love it so far. I installed a 512 stick of Ram from crucial but it's not showing up. It still says I only have 256. Did I miss a step or screw something up?
    Another question. I still can't get connected to the internet. Apparently I need the Domain Name Server. IS there anyway I can find that out without having to deal with my ISP's tecnical support? I'm with Cox btw. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Are you sure you need the domain name server bit? I was digging around Coxs website, and their setup instructions didn't require you to provide DNS numbers. I actually couldn't find any.

OT: Here the instructions for checking proxy settings in IE. There's a LimeWire icon in the dock!! here we go :p

3. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

That's hilarious!

4. smurfsgonewild thread starter macrumors member

Hah, that is pretty funny but back to the problem. I got the ram issue solved, it just wasn't in all the way. Back to the networking issue. The network preferences is showing my ip address and subnet mask but it's not letting me use any browser. I didn't do my setup while connected to the internet, could that be the problem? I must have missed something cus this should probally be much easier than this.

5. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

What do you mean? Browsers won't load any websites? Can you ping something like yahoo.com or something? Open the Terminal Applications > Utilities > Terminal and type in ping www.yahoo.com while you're connected to the internet.

6. smurfsgonewild thread starter macrumors member

Tried it and got "ping: unknown host www.yahoo.com"
    I'm hooked up to the internet but I'm switching back and forth from this computer to my pbook since I don't have a router. Think that might be a problem? I doubt it would be but who knows. Thanks for the help and keep it coming please.

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Just curious: did you boot with your PB or your computer?

I don't know how your router is set up, but perhaps it isn't set up to do DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), which is what lets your computer get an IP assigned to it when it boots. Assuming it doesn't support DHCP, you need to tell the PB to use the IP which your other computer has by going to [apple menu]-System Preferences...->Network->TCP/IP and setting it manually - or click on the "Assist me" button at the bottom of the TCP/IP panel - it might help!

8. smurfsgonewild thread starter macrumors member

Well, I tried the network assist feature and still no luck. It won't let me go anywhere until I enter my DHCP Client ID, which I have no idea what it is and I never had to use it with my windows machine. I'm hooked directly to the cable modem so it's not a router problem or anything. Is there a built in firewire or anything that I dont know about? I'm guessing most of you haven't had this problem and who knows why it happened to me. Should I do a clean install or what? Arrgg, this is getting frustrating but thanks very very much for the help you guys.

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Some cable modems actually track the MAC address (MAC as in Media Access Control, not Mac) of the computer, in which case you can't do anything until you call your cable company. It isn't anything you're doing wrong - it's the stupid cable company. However, if you're going to get a router anyway, get one first, then call them with the router's MAC address. Some companies get all pissy about supporting more than one computer. Just tell them the router MAC, then connect both of your computers to the router.

It does seem to me that it's likely a cable modem/MAC-locking issue. I obviously could be wrong, though.

10. smurfsgonewild thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I'm guessing that it's the cable company. They're getting a call first thing in the morning. Thanks again for the help guys and I'll get back to you sometime tomorrow. Thanks again for the help guys.

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Please post back and let us know if it gets resolved!

12. smurfsgonewild thread starter macrumors member

Well, it actually wasn't a big problem at all. Stupid me forgot to restart the cable modem and that was it. thanks to my GENIUS friend he told me to do it and BAM. Internet. So I'm typing this from my brandspanking new pbook. Thank you guys very very very very very much for all your help. Man, I feel dumb now lol.

13. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Glad to hear it!

Now go out and get a router tomorrow so you can use both computers at once!

14. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs