FiftyThree Gives Behind-The-Scenes Look at Developing Paper's Zoom Feature

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 22, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

FiftyThree, the developer behind the popular sketching app Paper, has posted a lengthy article examining the new Zoom feature that was added to Paper earlier this month.
    Paper seems to be a favorite of Apple as well, winning both iPad App of the Year and Apple Design Awards in 2012. Apple also featured the app prominently on its home page as part of its 50 billion app download contest.

Paper by FiftyThree is an iPad-only app that can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: FiftyThree Gives Behind-The-Scenes Look at Developing Paper's Zoom Feature
  2. macrumors newbie

Apr 29, 2013
    Paper by FiftyThree zoom at Draw Something

this type of zoom would be GREAT in Draw Something.
    Where is Zynga now?
  3. macrumors 6502a

May 29, 2007
    Portland, Or
    I would love to have this app connect to abode's creative cloud so I can have and easy import into projects
  4. macrumors 6502a

May 11, 2012
    53 has integrated this new zoom in a unique and well designed way.
    I love this app :)
  5. macrumors G3

Jan 9, 2008
    Sunny, Southern California
    Wow, love how the came about and love how they documented it for the users to see. Pretty slick. I don't draw but I can see this being used for doing a quick and stylish mock up!
  6. macrumors 65816

Nov 29, 2009
    I really great app, won't be surprised if they get bought up soon.
  7. macrumors member

Jan 14, 2009
    Devon, UK.
    Guess I'm the only one who finds the Zoom "feature" awful. It's restrictive in how much zoom it allows and if you get the pinch out slightly wrong it incorrectly identifies the gesture as the incomprehensibly daft rewind "feature".
    A simple pinch to zoom would have been the best way. A simple undo would have been infinitely preferable to rewind as well. It's a gimmick.

The drawing engine is still painfully slow. I don't understand why Paper gets so much attention when something as screamingly great at Procreate languishes in obscurity at the same price. And if I want something instant and simple, I get better results with Bamboo or even Penultimate.

Apps like this and the Clear to-do app, seem to persistently get far more exposure than their respective abilities merit.
  8. macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2012
    London, UK
    Problem with apps like this is they demo too well ;)
  9. macrumors 6502a

May 11, 2012
    I understand your comments. As compared with p.e. ProCreate, Paper has a somewhat different approach, at the risk that it just isn't your thing. What I like about the Rewind/Undo, is that you can perform it right on the spot almost without lifting your stylus. In ProCreate, even with the Undo button at my left thumb and working right handed, the flow isn't there. Watching the video, I was quite impressed by 53's zoom concept - they gave it lots of thought. And it fits my personal working method.
  10. macrumors 6502a

May 25, 2011
    Dundee, UK
    This is awesome news, so eager to test it out and start drawing all over again.:D