Fight Between N.O., Houston Students Leads To School Riot

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by katie ta achoo, Sep 13, 2005.

1. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

this makes me want to vomit.
    link

I'm so glad nothing like this has happened (or ever will) at my school...

2. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

Katie,

Why can't you Houstonians learned to live together with the evacuees, like us College Stationites have? ;)

All joking aside, it's sad that this is what it's coming to, and it's probably only goign to get worse.

3. katie ta achoo thread starter macrumors G3

:p Shh..

For some reason, a few people (not anyone I know, thankfully) are vocally anti-housing-Katrina-Victims. Morons.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Listen to the way the parents are talking. Listen to all that Houston crap about terroritory and "respect." If the NO students were treated second rate after all they had been through (losing everything, being displaced from their home, not even having a home, possibly losing a friend or family to the event, etc...), and some Houston reject started-up with me just because I'm a refugee.....a victim of a tragedy.....I probably wouldn't stand for it either, esepecially if he/she threw a Coke in my direction. After all the crap I've been through, and I have to put up with this clown's bullsh*t? I don't think so.

Morons, indeed. Hope something bad happens to these specific people, and they have to ask for help one day. Hopefully their cry for help will be ignored.

I also hope the NO students still continue going to that Houston school.

5. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Sounds like, either way, they're letting the inmates run the asylum. None of these kids "control" the school, and any who think that they do should be booted out immediately.

The instructors, school board, faculty and teachers control the school. But I guess in ol' Texas, EVERYONE'S got that territorial, cowboy like mentality. I mean, just look at the "most famous" texan of the moment... mr. gwb...

this country is becoming a joke. even when the communities try to do something logical and respectable.... **** like this happens.

6. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

good grief... only here could we somehow tie this back to bush...

this is a pretty sad story, i'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle- anyone caught fighting should be expelled- what losers

7. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

Perhaps it's just that the evacuees in College Station are too depressed about their surroundings to lift a finger against their tormentor's...

Sad indeed...though I don't see what George W. Bush has to do with anything here...blah.

8. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

where did anyone tie this to bush? mention bush, maybe. but tie it in? nah.

OT: The thing I see with the conservatives in this country is that ANY liberal mention of bush, and yes, he's a territorial, cowboy-like, texan, elicits cries foul from the conservatives mealy mouths. Now, if the teens at a school in arkansas were giving blow jobs in the bathrooms, it'd somehow be clinton's fault. The conservatives can dish, but they surely can't take it. haha.

On topic, yea. the HOUSTON students should be expelled. seems like they initiated the fracas. if i lost EVERYTHING i had and someone threw a coke at me, i'd kick their ass. Specifically, you just got placed in a school, you're tense, you don't know what's gonna happen in the next week, six months, a year, you have uncertainty, and then you have some smart-ass prick throwing cokes at you, in clothes that you probably had to get from a salvation army, it'd set off most anyone. The NOLA kids were just fighting for the last slice of pride they might have. The situation has been degrading and undignifed for a good portion of the NOLA folks. I don't think violence is the right way to solve things, but....i can understand the kids frustrations.

The kids in houston obviously need to be reading their bibles more and treating their neighbors like we ourselves would want treated, if indeed this country is under the watchful eye of God.

But unfortunately, in America today, we drive the whole GOD GOD BIBLE GOD MORALS FAMILY BIBLE GOD mentality, but in practice, we ignore it.

No wonder the kids are like this. Their country is hypocritical, so they can be too, right? We can all express sadness about Katrina, but when it comes time to welcome some of the survivors with open arms, we give 'em a coke can. We can say how much of a disaster this is, but as Michael Savage has pointed out, it's not such a big deal because they underestimated the body count. Glenn Beck can say how sad he feels that NOLA is destroyed and then say how the "refugees" are "scumbags"

Lovely.

9. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    And people wonder why I am a misanthrope...

Expel the kids from Houston. Any of the Houston kids arrested can have community service to be served in Louisiana. :D

The New Orleans kids didn't start it this time but they should have known better. Expulsions all around.

Katie, don't think that it can't/won't happen in your school. I am certain that if you were to look closely you would see some hidden ugliness.

10. Xenious macrumors 6502a

One thing to remember here is that school is not in the nicest part of Houston. Sadly it seems the rest of the country is thinking that this behoviour is typical of all Houston students. None the less some students I am sure need a come to jesus talk with the business end of a paddle. ;)

11. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Maybe in nicer parts of town, the NOLA kids would have been just run over with the Mercedes SUV that mommy and daddy bought for their kids.

Good thing those poor kids can only afford cokes as weapons!

I'm thinking that this type of behaviuor is typical of most americans these days. Hypocritical, disgusting, selfish, greedy and overall, pathetic. Imagine if they were middle eastern evacuees from NOLA. ;)

12. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Right, and I'm sure most people don't realize how crime-ridden and gang infested the non "showusyourtitsitsMardiGras" part of New Orleans is.

Gang A, meet Gang B. Bring your attitudes, keep an open eye for being "disrespected", and know that especially now, you have nothing to lose by acting all gangsta.

Just a turf war here folks. Nothing to see. Move along...

13. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

You folks can't possibly be serious -- expel these kids for fighting? Deny them their right to a public education (or insist that the state provide alternate public education) for FIGHTING?

This wasn't a riot. It was 20 kids. There were no weapons involved and, from a distance, it doesn't seem like there was premeditation.

To expel these kids is to reinforce the social structure that allows fights like this to begin in the first place. And if we were to expel every kid who gets in a fight in high school ... no one in this thread could possibly be suggesting something so profoundly absurd?

Suspend the kids. Talk to the kids. Find out the motivations of the kids. Absolutely. But expel them? How about we help them instead ...

:confused:

You also have to wonder what steps the administration took to ease the transition for both the NO kids and the Houston kids. When you're an adolescent (read: a ball of hormones whose decisions are often compromised by those hormones) it's very easy to exclude anyone for any reason (especially kids who are outsiders, which the NO kids are by default), and that exclusion can be violent if an adult hasn't empowered those kids with the ideas of tolerance and inclusion ...

14. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Frankly, I like the idea that fighting = expulsion. Let the kids know ahead of time that that is what happen and then enforce it. Zero tolerance. The kids that actually want to learn will be better off.

They're not denying them a right to an education. These kids are giving up their right to one.

Not to expel these kids is to reinforce the social structure that allows fights like this to begin in the first place. It reinforces that fighting is an acceptable means to a resolution of differences.

Find the kids' motivation?! Are you insane??!! You're obviously not familiar with the minds of kids like this. Motivation can be a wrong look or word- "disrespecting" someone. Come visit me and I'll drop you off 3 blocks away in the park so that you can try your empowerment techniques. Crackers are their favorite food. I'll hold your wallet for you..

15. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I teach kids "like this."

16. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I got to a school right next to a "bad" inner-city school and most of the kids aren't that bad if you get to know them. I always hate how everyone treats them like they are second-class citizens or something.

17. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

jay, you usually make very informative posts, but this one just smells of racism.... "these kids" and "crackers are their favortie food" combined together are pretty powerful accusations that imply that it's just the blackies who are problematic.

I'd say, and i'll say it again, the young "crackers" from the burbs with their SUVs are just as dangerous, if not more dangerous.

A friend of mine got beaned with a snapple bottle and accused of being a "********ing ******" by one of the whities from the suburbs...the rich/well off white kids are just as bad as the gang bangers, but they have the means and the connections to bury the bad publicity usually.

18. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I totally agree. I always find the kids from the inner-city schools to be more down-to-earth than the ones from the 'burbs. I honestly don't know what it is. Maybe the ones from the burbs are trying imiitate the "gangsta" attitude?

19. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

beeee. i. n-g-o! Bingo!

And in reality, they're generally so far removed from inner city gang life that they have NO clue what the deal is.

I always love when my conservative sister and her husband make fun of my move to the city, to a "hip" artist district, where there's supposedly 5 or 6 nightly rapes, murders and drug deals. In reality, the township they want to move to, an affluent suburb north of me, has the highest incidence of teenage heroin usage of anywhere in WPa.

Typically american are there beliefs and ideals....

20. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

[sarcasm] Yeah, but you have to remember, MTV and BET portray it pretty accurately. [sarcasm]

That doesn't surprise me at all. Where are the most drugs around here? Private schools. Why? Because they can afford it!

21. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Actually Mike, it's more of a class thing. I had to move further into South Philly after my divorce and the white kids here are every bit as bad. The problem is that race is a GIANT thing in the lower income areas. Everybody wants to blame someone they don't understand or look like for their not having a good job, enough money, etc. The poor black kids hate the poor white kids, who hate the poor brown kids, who hate the poor yellow kids. You can slice up the blocks by color. Fortunately, my daughter's in a charter school in center city with a group of middle income kids who still look like a Benetton Ad, but without all the bad habits. The rich kids can get as bad as the poor kids, but generally don't as often. A number of years ago, a kid in one of Philly's rich white suburbs (I believe his name was Eddie Pollock) was beat to death in a McDonalds parking lot by other white rich kids.

My point is simply that there are some REALLY bad kids out there taking the opportunity of receiving a safe education away from well brought up kids who want to take advantage of school. Most of these kids are poor. Most poor kids are black in Philly and New Orleans and D.C. and Detroit and Cleveland. This isn't racism. It's an observation on economics that aligns with race.

22. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

D.A.R.E. stands for Drugs Are Really Expensive, don'tcha know?

Funny thing too, as far as this all goes. One day, I left my bedroom window open. Get a call the next day that there's been a break in. I go down there to find that one of the 9 year old black kids hopped from their roof to mine and went for a looksee.

The father was very cool about it all, and really let the kids know what was up. I didn't press charges.

Well, this weekend, I ran into my home's old owner, at a Dining for Diversity fucntion, where he was a main event planner.

He scolded me for not doing the right thing and pressing charges to get those "section 8's out of the neighborhoood---you know, one offense and they can never get section 8 housing again! Ever!"

He went on and on and on to my shock and surprise, especially at a Dining for Diversity function. Oh, that and he's a homosexual. I mean, c'mon! You're a gay male, probably the SINGLE MOST HATED "minority" in america today, hated by politicians, religious leaders, and by and large the general public. And you're at a DIVERSITY DINNER labelling the black family next door to me as worthless section 8s. I won't repeat what I told him, but it was a wee bit honest. Brutally so.

He's also moved over to that same burb my sister so desperately wants to be a part of. Where they're almost all gay-bashing, neo-conservative religious wackos.

What a country!

23. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Is this the same Brooklyn, CT with a 2% black population? Same with Providence, RI @ 2.9%.

We have a minority majority in Philadelphia.

24. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

This is LARGELY untrue! I had the opportunity of attending an all male high school in the city with high tuition where a majority of the kids are pretty much well off.

Some of the things i've seen, as well as some of the things that hit the national media were astounding. And for the most part, it was the rich, privleged whiteys who had EVERYTHING who passed on the idea of getting an education and doing something good with themselves. The kids from the poorer 'hoods, who had to rely on arts and sports scholarships to get through school were the ones who REALLY grabbed education by the horns.

I find this to be true in LOTS of places....i think the rich kids are just as bad as the poor kids, but they have the resources to a) not get caught or b) get off the hook when they do get caught.

And believe me, the police play a HUGE role in that as well....

25. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

First off, Providence is a minority majority city, so you obviously didn't do your research.

Second, why are you assuming that thedude10 teaches in the city he lives in?

I find it funny that Hartford is one of the most dangerous cities, but is located in the wealthiest state. Coincidence?