Fighting a Traffic ticket(s)

Discussion in 'Community' started by furryrabidbunny, Jul 2, 2005.

1. furryrabidbunny macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

Last night driving home from work (midnight), I was pulled over. The Cop was extremely rude, using profane language and acting like i was his little
    b!tch. I was sited for doing 80 in a 65 (although when he finally decided to pull me over i was doing 65 for a good amount of time) and for having no proof of current insurance. I do have insurance however, I just haven't been sent the new insurance card (my old insurance was expired all of ten minutes, no joke). I have the option of going to traffic school to get out of the fine and points on my license or going to court to fight it. I have two thing going for me. An officer cannot swear or demean you (he kept calling me "man," i guess because i am 19 Mr. Trybus wasn't called for, or sir???) and the fact when he clocked me i was not doing eighty. He was also doing about 95 and slowed down to pull me over. He claimed he was going to respond to a stolen car (i questioned his speed, his answer was i could not write a ticket, but he could). He kept questioning my attitude. I was being a smart ass. He was a total prick... I wonder why i was acting like that. I guess at teenager getting a speeding ticket is more important than a stolen car in AZ, which is a HUGE problem out here. This could not happen at a worse time. I am going to lollapalooza in three weeks, so i am hoping if i choose to take the class i can take it before than. The court date is two days after i get back from chicago. The school is 125 dollars, god knows how much the fines are for the tickets. What would my fellow macrumorers do? Fight it because the cop was a jerk and extremely unprofessional (I doubt he would show up for court, which would mean all "charges" dropped) or go to school for 125 and act like it never happen. Keep in mind insurance in AZ is expensive as hell for young males and if i took the class it would be like it never happen.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Fix the insurance portion of the ticket ASAP, take the card down and do it as soon as you can.

Failure to take care of that (or registration) in a timely manner will get your driving privledges revoked in AZ.

Then worry about the speeding ticket, but if you want to file a complaint against the cop -- it may not be a good idea to go to court.

Remember it is Mesa, and they do protect their own.

At least you weren't in Chandler, where you ran the risk of getting shot. ;)

Lack of proof of insurance happens, since not all officers give you a chance to look for it -- but buy one of the little glove box wallets and stick the registration and insurance inside that from now on.

3. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

I am going to take care of the insurance ASAP. My as soon as my insurance company sends me the card, I am faxing the info over to the court to get that ticket dropped, seeing I had insurance at the time. I go through my parents though, and they are on vacation, so with my luck my mom forgot to renew the insurance in time. I am leaning towards going to school, i am hoping that i can go before my trip. With my luck, I'll have to cancel it. Do you know if they let you choose your day? I am thinking about filing a complant, after my brother in law calls him (he is dps). The guy that pulled me over was mesa pd, not dps.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

With the class, you should have a completion date (almost looks like a few days prior to your court date) -- you should have a few choices of days and locations.

Were not too many choices when I took it years and years ago.

Let your brother in law call him, even if you were a smart ass -- the officer is the one with training to defuse the situation, not you.

So a complaint will still hurt.

You may have already found...

http://www.ci.mesa.az.us/court/subwebs/option1.asp

But it doesn't give an idea of the times available through either school choice without some info.

---

And remember to pay any parking tickets, because AZ will also revoke your DL if you don't pay them -- actually there is a bunch of stuff that can revoke your right to drive in AZ these days, or place a cash lien on your license. All these can happen without a moving violation.

5. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

I had to go three years ago for an accident when i first learnt to drive (both insurance companies later determined it wasn't my fault), i don't remember if you could choose or not. I was just really angry at his attitude, and I know the stolen car thing was bs, he drove off reallly slow when he was done with me, and besides, i took a criminal justice class in college with a former scottsdale chief, they can only do 25 over a posted speed limit when responding, he was doing 30 over with no light on. I wouldn't have been a smart ass if he wasn't a prick. I don't bow over to people, I defend myself. He also made a nice comment like i was trying to treat him like a subordinate and that he wasn't. The last time i checked, your taxes and mine pay his paycheck, and that his duty is to serve the community, I.E. me, and that I as a voter determine his pay and his policy. I'll be sure to point that one out.
    O yeah, thanks for your help. I was not aware of that website. I've been using mesa's touchtone phone service to get info. I wonder if i can get my courtdate pushed because of my vacation since it isn't a serious offense.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You got two choices now at least, the old classrom one ... or the on-line one you can take whenever.

The links are on the mesa court page.

But based on the options page, you'll be taking a class.

http://www.ci.mesa.az.us/court/subwebs/civil.asp

At least the on-line version will allow you to get rid of the problem before your vacation if there are no seats in the class.

7. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

hmm online seems like it would be easier. I hated the classroom one... longest day in my life are they as long if not longer than six hours? I am really blind... where do you see the online one, and once again, i really appreciate the help.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I know there is one.

But the two class providers aren't linking through to the online class.

Edit: So it looks like some seat time, since Mesa isn't showing them on their web page.

Been talked about time and again, but wouldn't trust some of the "approved" classes unless I see them in the court page link or get the info from the courthouse.

Looks more like the online driving schools offered services to AZ ... so don't know how that all worked out.

Especially since they never showed up on the Mesa court sites.

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

There is a link through to the online class on the Chandler Courts Page... :p

10. mac-er macrumors 65816

There are several things here:

1. He will show up for court. Police officers usually have set court dates, and the court date he assigns you is one where he will usually be in court anyways.

2. You were rude and a smartass. He will write that on the ticket that the DA gets a copy off. Judges and DAs are much less likely to reduce tickets to people are rude. Sure, he might be rude..but your best bet is to smile, call him sir, and be his bitch.....it helps you in the long run. If you are polite, they write that on the ticket as well. (Some police officers will put a little smiley face on the ticket the DA gets if you are polite).

I don't understand people that get pissed off or are rude when they get caught speeding..you were speeding, you got caught, pay the price. You take that risk when you speed.

3. Your best bet is to take the class. If you go to court and try to fight it....you will be found guilty. It is very rare that traffic tickets are found "not guilty" by judges.

4. Your insurance will go up at least 25% if you get any insurance points, so your best bet is to avoid getting any insurance points whatsoever.

11. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I agree with his post. I got a ticket for a 72 for 50 mile/hour highway in MD. I called a few attorneys I found on the website and asked them to represent me if they are "confortable" winning for me. They all told me I would be better off just going to the court and bite a bullet. Which I did. I followed how the preceeding cases are going (mind you, they are ALL traffic ticket issues; I bet those people got the ticket on the same day I got while MD State Police was doing fishing that day) and I plead "guilty" as the previous cases got the "probation before judgement for 90 days." This is what a judge will give you if you are good in the past deeds (and you are presentable at the court) and this is good sentense as you don't get a point on your license "unless" you get another ticket in the state during that next 90 days. I study this issue very well as i am an outside sales and I am in my car more than I am at home and office combined. I think your priority is not to get the point (that is your record which haunts you for next few years or more). My recommendation is check a few attorneys in your state and tell them your story. The most of the reputable ones will tell you if they can help you. If not, show up at the court date (if you don't show up, the judge will issue a bench warrant on you, which is not good if you get pulled over next time. you will get to the jail straight). If you feel they can help you, go with it. Pay him/her to repsenst you. If not, go to court yourself and see how the preceeding cases are handled. I bet all of your preceeding cases will be traffic on that court date, unless you are a very unlucky first person to face the judge that day.

12. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Also, make sure you are going to be as "un-memorable" as possible to the cop who pulled you over. If you made smart-ass comments or got nasty to the officer, you will get "extra treatment" at the court. The prosecuter will make sure you get what you deserve that day as he/she will be there along with the "TEAM" of cops who were doing the traffic stops that day. I saw the whole A team that day at the MD court. Every officers were there who were doing fishing at that highway.

13. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

i am just going to go to traffic school... my brother in law said it would be hard to fight. I found my new insurance card in my mom's room :mad: along with their new insurance cards (they just got back from a trip to cali without proof of insurance). I plan on taking a trip to mesa pd tomorrow to talk to a sergeant to complain about the cop's attittude and his lack of professionalism.

14. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I suggest an attorney. If you piss off your arresting officer, he will be make sure he will be there for you at the court day to confront you and even lie in front of the court of the law to make sure you get the bad sentense. In the court room, the judge will believe more of the cop's story than the defendent (it is true, even though it is sad). I think you are not getting off this ticket by contesting it with the "attitude" of the cop. A cop who turned down by a chick at the bar will write you a ticket for the hell of it. If you want to fight it, an attorney with the background in the traffic matters will be of great help achiving your goal. Those poeple at the court are making living out of this. Cops and Prosecuters will win unless you are so smart and full of evidence and witnesses. Tax payers like you and I will get the short end of the stick while the other side will get our hard earned money. Sorry about my ranting and spreading my political and social belief in inadvertently.

I never cave in to the traffic ticket until after my attorney loose my case. Most honest tax paying residents plead guilty to the ticket wihtout fighting or considering how to fight it. For the four speeding tickets I got, I consulted attorneys every single one of them. The two of them I hired the attorney. The first one, I plead guilty because I was so newbie on this and did not know the conequence of it (this was my "the" lessen I learned in my driving life and I have pleadged myself never to repeat that in my living life). For the fourth one, I got a decent sentense from the reasonable judge who understands the regular hard working people who is going from Point a to point b quickly in "a safe manner without any accident." For the third one, I lost; but, I am out of state resident for that.So, it was not a biggie for me (I am flipping a finger on that one).

15. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

did you know if the officer had a license to operate the device?

when was the device last calibrated?

are you not white?

i don't think the cop being rude while writting a ticket isn't a defense why you shouldn't get a ticket.

16. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

I am not trying to fight the ticket, even though he should not have been enforcing interstate (arizona has dps for that). I am simply trying to get him in trouble. And to YS2003, i dont' need a lawyer if i go to traffic school in arizona. All fines/charges would be dropped as would all points. It would be like if the ticket never happen.

17. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

It is nearly impossible to get a traffic ticket dismissed. Unless you can prove the radar wasn't calibrated (i was "caught" by visual/ pacing, which unless mesa pd is radar certified, which my brother in law doesn't know, they are not allowed to do) you are shi! out of luck. There is no way to prove you were not speeding. It is your word against a cops, and in the post 9/11 world, police officers are gods in the eyes of all. I am simply pursuing this because I, like you, pay taxes, and I want the police officer I employ to compose and act in a professional manor. To me, a professional manor is not cursing out a 19 year old that was pulled over for the first time in their life and referring them by "man" and not sir.

18. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

If I were you I would just go to traffic school but if you do want to fight it here is an informative pdf to read. Hope it helps. :)
    PayNoFine.pdf

19. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

interesting pdf. I thought the best defence for a traffic ticket was that whole "going with the crowd thing." I am going to school, I am goint to call tuesday (naturally this happens on a holiday weekend) and see what is the soonest i can take the class. I am going to have my insurance company fax over all of my info so that is taken care of, and that i have proof in the form of a recorded conversation saying I indeed requested the fax and that it was sent over. The only thing i am worried about that is the insurance company asking, and finding out, exactly what i am charged with. After the school, both incidents will never had occured to them.

20. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

file a misconduct report at the police station