file association in mac os x

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by recoilfx, Sep 6, 2004.

1. recoilfx macrumors newbie

hi
    well i from a windows background, so when i change the file assocation for a particular type i just go to view options in windows explorer. In os x i can do it by right clicking and choose openwith/other... but it only changes the file i selected, how do i change the file associations(avis, movs, wmvs..) to default to VLC insetad of quicktime??

and it seems like playing wmv on vlc stutters after about 10-15 seconds, anyone know a fix for it?

thanks in advance!

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

For each file type, select a file of that type and choose "Get info" from the File menu. Then in the "Open with" section, choose VLC from the menu and click the "Change All..." button.

3. recoilfx thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the quick reply!!!

Though just in case, are all these preferences kept in a database file? If possible can you point me to that? I've also read that apple keps a desktop database file that contains all file types which the installed applications can open? Any ideas on where it is?

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....perhaps try RCDefaultApp.prefpane - it will show you what you are looking for but be careful if you are planning on changing things....oh yeah!

5. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

The file that contains these settings is located at ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.LaunchServices.plist.

6. recoilfx thread starter macrumors newbie

7. SLJ macrumors regular

SLJ

i dont have this file you are referring "~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.LaunchServices.plist" for some reason...

anyway, i am trying to set .torrent to my azureus but no such luck... when i open "Get info" and trying to select azureus, the program file is gray out. :(

8. 7on macrumors 601

7on

At the top of teh choose app window, there should be an "Enable: Reccomended Applications" Change that to "All Applications"

Most extentions are contained in the file however. I believe resource fork.

9. SLJ macrumors regular

SLJ

i associated the file with Azureus but the file still wont open with it... oh well, too bad for me i guess :confused: