File Associations within iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tj2001, Sep 16, 2006.

1. tj2001 macrumors regular

I'm puzzled here greatly. Maybe someone can point me in a path to enlighten me somehow?

When I tag a file in iTunes as say "Audiobook" or "Podcast" they do not respectively associate with iTunes built in sections such as Podcasts and Audiobooks!!!

Is this possible to achieve? If so how do I properly go about accomplishing this feat. Thank you all for your time.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

How are you tagging them as a podcast or audiobook? I couldn't find any way to do so?

3. tj2001 thread starter macrumors regular

In genre, which I assumed was the method for doing so? So obviously there is some sort of hidden tag form that tags them?

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Genre isn't going to change the type of the file. Audibooks are usually .m4b files with special tags built into the file that tell iTunes it's an audiobook. You should do some searching for Applescripts to turn an AAC file into either a .aa or .m4b file. Not sure if they'll work for iTunes 7 though.

Yeah, putting a word in genre won't change what type of file it is.

5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

For the audiobook problem, try the Make Bookmarkable Applescript.

To get things into the Podcast section, that's a little tougher because iTunes arranges tracks by feed, and with just a file it doesn't have a feed. I suppose you could fake this by making a local XML feed and subscribing to it, but that seems like an awful lot of effort for so little gain. It would be easier to use smart playlists that include or exclude by genre.