Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

App Tyrant

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2016
File Cabinet Pro Version 3.5 is out; File Cabinet Pro now supports the Touch Bar on the new MacBook Pro.

If you have a MacBook Pro with a Touch Bar, you will be able to take the following actions in File Cabinet Pro from the Touch Bar:

• Show or hide the sidebar.
  • Navigate to previously viewed folders using the “Go Forward” and “Go Backward” buttons.
  • Quicklook selected files.
  • Share selected files via Sharing extensions.
  • Tag selected files.
  • Create a new directory.
  • Move selected files to the trash.
  • Show a Get Info panel for selected files.
  • Switch to Icon View, Column View, or List View.
Check out the video below to see some of what you can do with the Touch Bar and File Cabinet Pro (via the Touch Bar simulator). Also note that File Cabinet Pro’s Touch Bar can be customized.

FileCabinetProCustomizeTouchbarScreenshot.png

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

App Tyrant

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2016
Hi digitalfx,

The menu bar shows up (and the app icon appears in the dock) if you have a document window open. When a document window is not open, the app runs as an accessory and macOS does not show the menu bar for apps in the foreground if the app is running as an accessory (not to be confused with File Cabinet Pro's icon that always appears in the menu bar when the app is running).

I hope this answers your question.

App Tyrant

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2016
Version 3.6.2 update is out.

Here's what's new:
-In column view, the column width for directories will now be saved and restored between application launches. You can turn this feature on or off in Settings (I received a few emails requesting this feature).
-Fixed minor bug that caused certain files to be sorted out of order when specifying 'Sort by Name' if numbers were included in the file name.

The Mac App Store version is waiting for review from Apple, should be coming soon to Mac App Store folks too.

App Tyrant

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2016
Version 3.6.3 is out. I added in a (requested) feature to allow you customize the default width for columns in column view in Settings. You can go to the Settings window and configure this.

Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 3.21.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 3.22.01 PM.png

This update will be coming to the Mac App Store version too soon (it's waiting for review at the Mac App Store).

App Tyrant

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2016
File Cabinet Pro version 3.7 has been released.

Here's what's new:
-Added a "Move to File Cabinet Pro" Service. You can now move files to File Cabinet Pro faster than ever from Finder and other supporting apps!
-Fixed issue that caused some items in the context menu to be disabled when control+clicking on an item in Icon View.

Below is a quick demo video of the "Move to File Cabinet Pro" Service:

This update is out for those who purchased directly from AppTyrant.com. It should hit the Mac App Store soon for Mac App Store folks.

App Tyrant

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2016
File Cabinet Pro is on sale for just $1.99 (93% off) today on the Mac App Store! Take advantage of this sale before it expires at the end of the day!

App Tyrant

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2016
File Cabinet Pro version 3.9 is out. This update adds the Cover Flow View option!

Also bug fixes and performance improvements.

App Tyrant

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2016
File Cabinet Pro version 3.9.2 is out. This update introduces two new Services for taking screenshots:
1. Save screenshot in File Cabinet Pro
2. Save interactive screenshot in File Cabinet Pro

The "Save screenshot in File Cabinet Pro" Service allows you to take a screenshot (like you would if you used Command+Shift+3), but instead of saving the screenshot file on the Desktop, the screenshot image is saved to the current directory being displayed in File Cabinet Pro.

The "Save interactive screenshot in File Cabinet Pro" Service allows you to take a screenshot of a portion of your screen (like you would if you used Command+Shift+4) but instead of saving the screenshot file on the Desktop, the screenshot image is saved to the current directory being displayed in File Cabinet Pro.

If you want to use these Services, make sure they are enabled in System Preferences. Then you can use the Services from the Services menu in supporting apps. You can also assign your own hotkey for these Services in System Preferences.

Last edited:

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
File Cabinet Pro version 3.9.2 is out. This update introduces two new Services for taking screenshots:
1. Save screenshot in File Cabinet Pro
2. Save interactive screenshot in File Cabinet Pro

The "Save screenshot in File Cabinet Pro" Service allows you to take a screenshot (like you would if you used Command+Shift+3), but instead of saving the screenshot file on the Desktop, the screenshot image is saved to the current directory being displayed in File Cabinet Pro.

The "Save interactive screenshot in File Cabinet Pro" Service allows you to take a screenshot of a portion of your screen (like you would if you used Command+Shift+4) but instead of saving the screenshot file on the Desktop, the screenshot image is saved to the current directory being displayed in File Cabinet Pro.

If you want to use these Services, make sure they are enabled in System Preferences. Then you can use the Services from the Services menu in supporting apps. You can also assign your own hotkey for these Services in System Preferences.

The screenshot feature is very nice.

App Tyrant

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2016
@Michaelgtrusa Thanks!

Version 3.9.3 is now out!

What's New
-Added a "Keep folders on top when sorting by name" preference. By default this is off but you can enable it from the Preferences window.

-If you have one file selected, you can now start editing its filename by pressing the return key.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
@Michaelgtrusa Thanks!

Version 3.9.3 is now out!

What's New
-Added a "Keep folders on top when sorting by name" preference. By default this is off but you can enable it from the Preferences window.

-If you have one file selected, you can now start editing its filename by pressing the return key.
WOW! The dev rate is amazing. I have the lite version.

App Tyrant

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2016
Version 3.9.4 has been released. The toolbar is now customizable!

filecabinetprocustomizabletoolbarscreenshot.png

You can update to 3.9.4 if you have the version off our website. If you got the app via the Mac App Store, this update is waiting for review and hopefully will get pushed out to Mac App Store folks soon :D

Last edited:

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
Downloaded the Lite Version from the App store. Dropped in three folders, tried the standard views. Wanting to see the complete file names I tried to drag the window wider. This action by me brought up a dialog box (shown in the attachment) and it seems the only way to continue is to upgrade to the full version. Furthermore, the application can't be closed and the only way out is to restart the system. Malfunctioning Lite Version or is this intended behaviour?

Attachments

• silly trick.jpeg
    silly trick.jpeg
    7.5 KB · Views: 243

App Tyrant

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2016
That window in your screenshot stays attached to the bottom of the main window in the Lite version while the 30 day trial is running (and after the trial expires and the app enters "View only mode"). If you unlock the full version that little window disappears.

But the app shouldn't force you to reboot.

Did you happen to right click in the bottom bar and select "quit" in the context menu? If you did, you triggered a bug :eek:. The latest update 3.9.4 update I believe will fix this issue (it's still Waiting for Review at the App Store). I'm hoping Apple will approve 3.9.4 for File Cabinet Lite soon (they just approved 3.9.4 for Pro).

After 3.9.4 comes out for FC Lite, can you let me know if you are still hitting this issue?

Thanks!

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
App Tyrant,

Will gladly reinstall, await update and contact you with result. From what little I saw it appeared to fulfill my needs.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

App Tyrant

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2016
Version 3.9.5 is now out.

What's New
-You can now add a Compress button to the customizable toolbar.
-You can now show a Get Info panel using the Command+I keyboard shortcut.

fcpcustomizationwindowsheetcompressbuttonwitharrowpointer.png

For File Cabinet Lite on the Mac App Store, this update resets everyone's trial to expire in 30 days if you didn't unlock pro features via the in app purchase. So if you installed File Cabinet Lite awhile ago and your trial expired, your trial will restart next time you open the app. I decided to do this to give those who installed FC Lite awhile ago an opportunity to try the new features.

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
Any issue I had with File Cabinet Lite has been fixed with recent updates and enhancements. All now working very nicely.

App Tyrant

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2016
File Cabinet Pro version 3.9.9 has been released!

What's New
-You can now change the font size used in icon view, column view, and list view in Settings (requires macOS El Capitan or later).
-Longer filenames in icon view will wrap to a second line (requires macOS El Capitan or later).
-Bug fixes and performance improvements.

Demo video:

@nnoble Thanks for reporting that issue! Glad we got it fixed.

App Tyrant

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2016
File Cabinet Pro 4.0.1 is out.

Here's what's new:
-This update allows you to move files to directories in your Favorites sidebar. To do this, simply drop files on a directory name in the sidebar (see screenshot below).
-Fixed issue that occurred when attempting to rename a file and typing a forward slash in the name.
-Fixed issue that caused the “Secondary” directory to not pick up changes made by the “Primary” directory in the rare case that you set them to display the contents of the same directory.
-Other minor bug fixes and performance improvements.

dragToFavoritessidebaritemfcp.png

Reactions: nnoble

marcofa

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2017
Are you planning a new discount :-D :-D ? really, for me 33 Euro are so much... :)

Last edited:

App Tyrant

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2016
File Cabinet Pro 4.0.3 is out! I'm happy to tell you that FCP has a new and improved app icon :D.

FCPTeaserAppTyrantWebsiteSlideshowSized.png

This update also includes bug fixes and performance improvements.
[doublepost=1494012098][/doublepost]
Are you planning a new discount :-D :-D ? really, for me 33 Euro are so much... :)

To say thanks to the community here, I have pasted ten coupon codes below that will allow you to buy File Cabinet Pro at 70% off. These coupon codes can be redeemed when purchasing File Cabinet Pro from the App Tyrant Store only. Each coupon code can only be used once so it's first come, first serve. Also these coupons will expire in ten days.

Make sure you paste the coupon code in the proper area when checking out and click the "Update Coupon" button to apply it. If the coupon hasn't been used it yet, you'll get the app 70% off.

Thanks everyone for your interest and feedback.

Coupon Codes
MACRUMORSFCP3KDJX - Used
MACRUMORSFCP4JASD - Used
MACRUMORSFCP4NKMD - Used
MACRUMORSFCP4XTBR - Used
MACRUMORSFCP5MMUJ - Used
MACRUMORSFCP5XBCN - Used
MACRUMORSFCP5XCZF - Used
MACRUMORSFCP6AJAB - Used
MACRUMORSFCP8BAAA - Used
MACRUMORSFCP9PAZY - Used

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.