File count on different chosen directories

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by nellbern, Apr 9, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

I have been trying for days to make this to work. I need to able to have a pdf file count of the chosen directories in the server.

folder 1 has total of 24 pdfs
    folder 2 has 10 pdfs
    folder 3 has 234 pdfs

If I select folder 1 & folder 2 I would to see these results

folder 1 24 pdf
    folder 2 10 pdf

PHP:
    set target_folder to choose folder with prompt "Choose target folder to count files" with multiple selections allowed without invisibles

set numberOfFiles to 
    do shell script "find " & (quoted form of POSIX path of target_folder) & " -type f  -name *.pdf | wc -l"

This what I have so far but I'm getting an error:\"Can’t make quoted form of POSIX path of {alias \"Macintosh HD:Users:user:Desktop:Stuff:folder 2 :\", alias \"Macintosh HD:Users:user:Desktop:Stuff:folder1:\"} into type Unicode text." number -1700 from quoted form of POSIX path of {alias "Macintosh HD:Users:user:Desktop:Stuff:folder 2 :", alias "Macintosh HD:Users:user:Desktop:Stuff:folder1:"} to Unicode text

I was trying using only applescript but scripting the finder takes too long to give me results

2. macrumors 603

Since you're allowing multiple selections, the result will be a list (a.k.a. an array). That's what the { } means in the error message: it's showing you that you have a list, and it contains two alias objects.

The solution is just like any other list of things: you apply the action to each item in the array. The AppleScript way to do this is a repeat loop like:
    Code:
    repeat with thing in listOfThings
      -- code for one thing goes here
    end
    You should be able to find numerous examples of repeat with loops on the web, or in any AppleScript tutorial that covers looping.

As a test, I suggest writing a repeat loop that simply shows an alert with each item in the array. This will show the loop working. Then you can change it to run the shell script.

3. kryten2, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012

macrumors 6502a

Code:
    global files_list_count_total
    set target_folder to choose folder with prompt "Choose target folders to count files" with multiple selections allowed without invisibles
    set files_list_count_total to 0
    repeat with i from 1 to the count of target_folder
    	set this_item to item i of target_folder
    	set the item_info to info for this_item
    	if (alias of the item_info is false) and (folder of the item_info is true) then
    		process_item(this_item)
    	end if
    end repeat

-- this sub-routine processes folders 
    on process_item(this_item)
    	-- NOTE that the variable this_item is a folder reference in alias format 
    	-- FOLDER PROCESSING STATEMENTS GOES HERE
    	set this_item to this_item as string
    	tell application "Finder"
    		set files_list to (items of folder this_item whose name extension is "pdf") as alias list
    	end tell
    	set files_list_count to count files_list
    	set files_list_count_total to files_list_count_total + files_list_count
    end process_item
    display dialog "Total “PDF“ Files: " & files_list_count_total & return & "Folders: " & i with title "Pdf file count" buttons {"OK"} default button 1

If you want to use do shell script use this handler :

Code:
    on process_item(this_item)
    	-- NOTE that the variable this_item is a folder reference in alias format 
    	-- FOLDER PROCESSING STATEMENTS GOES HERE
    	set files_list to ((do shell script "find " & quoted form of POSIX path of this_item & " -type f -name *.pdf | wc -l") as integer)
    	set files_list_count_total to files_list_count_total + files_list
    end process_item

Attached Files:

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You chown33 for the explanation & kryten2 for the applescript. Have a wonderful day