File Extensions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Moonjump, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Moonjump macrumors newbie

A couple of days ago my first Mac arrived, a 24"iMac upgraded with 2Mb RAM and 7600GT graphics. I wanted to start enjoying a computer again like I did before the windows days (started on a BBC Model B, then a couple of Amigas).

I am self-employed and will use the Mac to design toys and games plus a few other things. I also do contract video game design (my old full-time job). Illustrator is the software I use most, but also need to use a word proccesor and dislike Word. Therefore I got iWork for Pages.

I'm hoping someone can help with a few things I haven't been able to find the answers to.

1. I imported all my old files and they show the file extensions (concerned here with .doc). If I open one of the files in Pages then save it, there is no file extension shown. There is also no extension if I export it as a Word document. It is important I know the extension so that I know I am sending out files that a windows user can read. Can they be shown?

2. When saving a file I seem to only have the choice of saving in the last saved folder, or the folders that appear on the left in Finder, but not the folders branching from them, and not the same folder I opened the original file in. Is there any way to save in any folder?

3. I saved a file as a Pages document, then exported it as a Word document with the same name (so I know it is the same file, but in a different format). But when I looked in the folder, there was only 1 file. Can you have files of different formats with the same name?

4. Here is an unrelated question. If I don't use the mouse or keyboard for a minute or 2, the screen dims slightly. I don't want it to do this. Is there any way I can stop it?

Many things are easier in OSX, but some seem more awkward (I dislike not being able to see my complete nest of folders for a project and have a full list of details for all items in the currently selected folder (is there a way of doing this?)). I've only had one little glitch when playing around with Photo Booth since Tuesday, it has never been like that with a windows machine...

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

1. Go to Finder menu --> Preferences --> Advanced and check the "Show all file extensions" option.

2. In just about every app, in the save dialog box that pops up, next to the default save location is a big blue button with an arrow pointing downward. Click that to give you a Finder like view that will let you navigate wherever you want to save the document.

3. I don't use Pages so I don't have direct experience, but yes, you can have files with different filetypes but the same name in the same directory. Maybe you accidentally saved it somewhere else? Try a Spotlight search and see if it can find both the Pages and Word versions.

4. Go to System Preferences --> Energy Saver --> Options and uncheck the "Automatically reduce the brightness of the display before display sleep. This can be a bit buggy though.

3. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

In Pages use Save As, rather than Save to rename/choose a different location of the file.

Finder has 3 view options. Open any window, and you'll see three buttons like the ones in the image. One is icons, the others are detailed list, and a directory option. You can also access them by pressing Apple-1, Apple-2, and Apple-3, respectively.

Attached Files:

4. Moonjump thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you 1, 2 and 3 all worked. Regarding 4, it was already unchecked.

I've remembered another problem regarding Pages. When I opened a document I had created in Word, the information on each page overflowed onto the next (I had page breaks, so a 4 page document became 8). I changed the line spacing so that it fitted, but putting the file back on a PC showed big gaps at the bottom of the page. Are their differences in formating or something else between Pages and Word?

5. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Usually when I'm exporting documents for my computerly-challenged co-workers on their PCs, I just save the file out as a PDF. That way you wouldn't get any formatting errors. I don't know what your needs are though.

6. Moonjump thread starter macrumors newbie

When doing concept work I have to send a .doc file so that the client can cut and paste bits for use in other documents. I don't want to send work that isn't formatted correctly, otherwise they are bound to say I should have stuck with Windows.