Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
Scotland
Morning peeps! How we all doing?

I'm having problems opening some files I downloaded from the internet. They are a set of audio remixes by an artist called Trifonic.

The files were downloaded as .zip files. The file name on each file is Trifonic_'song name'_inst. Does anyone know what inst means? I have never seen this before?

When I unzip the file, it creates a folder by the same name of the zip file. Inside the folder, there are 4 or 5 more folders called packet 1, packet 2... etc. And in each 'packet' are numerous .wav files, named by instruments.

Does anyone know how I can listen to these, or convert them for iTunes?

Thanks for your help!

salientstimulus

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2009
If I'm looking at the same files you are (http://ccmixter.org/trifonic), I think you might have misunderstood. These aren't remixes, these are the raw tracks provided so that you can remix the song yourself. iTunes will not let you play back multiple tracks at the same time, so it will be quite boring to listen to. If you want to try remixing, just drag the files from each packet into a seperate audio track in GarageBand.

Edit: Looking at the files a little more, it seems each 'packet' contains one portion of the song, and each of the files in the packet is an instrumental track. In other words, all of the files in one packet are meant to be played at the same time. Of course, it's a remix, so you get to do whatever you want!

John89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
Scotland
If I'm looking at the same files you are (http://ccmixter.org/trifonic), I think you might have misunderstood. These aren't remixes, these are the raw tracks provided so that you can remix the song yourself. iTunes will not let you play back multiple tracks at the same time, so it will be quite boring to listen to. If you want to try remixing, just drag the files from each packet into a seperate audio track in GarageBand.

Edit: Looking at the files a little more, it seems each 'packet' contains one portion of the song, and each of the files in the packet is an instrumental track. In other words, all of the files in one packet are meant to be played at the same time. Of course, it's a remix, so you get to do whatever you want!

Ah yes, that makes sense. Thanks very much for your help!! I tried dragging it all into garage band thinking it would make some kind if remix..seems I was mistaken!!

Cheers buddy!
John

salientstimulus

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2009
Definitely give the remix a shot! It's easier than it looks, and fun:) GarageBand will let you add effects to the samples -- try adding reverb to the drums or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.