File format in itune

Discussion in 'iPod' started by twopenn'orth, Jan 23, 2006.

1. twopenn'orth macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a G4 powerbook running Tiger and the latest version of itune.

I have downloaded my CD album collection to my itune using a mixture of ACC and mp3 format (I used the former format before deciding switching to the latter). Now I want to output them to mp3 so that I can have more songs on a CD when I am in the car. I don't really want to import all my songs again.

(Q1) Will itune only output mp3 format songs if it was imported originally as mp3?

(Q2) I have tried to output the songs (mixture of format) as they are but selecting to create a data CD when burning my CD. But only my mp3 songs were burnt. Has something gone wrong or is this what I should have expected?

Any suggestions on how i can burn songs on my playlist that are stored in a mixture of ACC and mp3 format to a CD would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

you can't burn AAC files to an mp3-CD and although i wish iTunes would be smart enough to convert them for you, apparently it isn't.

add the "kind" column to your iTunes Library view (so you can see which tracks are AAC),
    make sure you import settings in preferences are set to mp3,
    select the AAC tracks
    under the advanced menu choose "convert" to re-rip them as mp3
    (there will be some loss in quality however re-compressing a compressed format)

3. GrannySmith_G5 macrumors 6502

I think the only way is to convert the aac's into mp3 within iTunes. Then burn an mp3 cd in iTunes.

4. geekologist macrumors member

geekologist

Go to the iTunes preferences and go to the "Advanced" tab. In the advanced tab there is a tab called "Importing". You will see where it says "Import Using" and there is a drop down menu. Choose "MP3 Encoder" in the drop down menu and save your settings. Then select the songs in your library that you want to make MP3s and then click "Convert Selection to MP3."

5. twopenn'orth thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies. Your suggestions were exactly what I was hoping for but couldn't find it myself within iTune that is converting the songs I already stored in aac format to mp3 within iTune.

:)

6. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

It is iTunes not iTune. iTunes - okay?