file listing order: strange...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jxyama, May 27, 2004.

1. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

a dumb question... but i can't figure it out. take a look at the finder image i attached. in it, you see that i have the finder list things from A to Z (as evidenced by "RG" coming before "sens" files.) yet if you just look at the "sens" files, the one with "6V" comes before "45V"! this makes no sense to me!!! any explanations?? :confused:

shouldn't "45V" be before "6V" since 4 is lower than 6 and then it doesn't matter what follows?

Attached Files:

2. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Finder doesn't always sort alphabetically it is for the most part smart about numbers in file names and imagines in leading zeros to sort.

3. jxyama thread starter macrumors 68040

jxyama

dang, so it sees "6" vs "45"...

i meant those as shorthand for 6.0 and 4.5 volts, so it's ironic how order is the reverse of the way i intended... :p

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Are the names of the files with the "6" shorter than the "45"? If so, then it is sorted correctly, as a shorter filename comes before a longer one. (Yes I know that is not how it is taught, but Macs are not the only system to do this.) Best thing so that they show up right is since "45" means 4.5, make "6" 60 to mean 6.0. Just a thought.

TEG

5. jxyama thread starter macrumors 68040

jxyama

thanks for yet another piece of knowledge... kinda glad i asked.

i noticed because some apps list files in more "correct" order than the weird way Finder does. i just wanted to know for my own sake...

thanks for the replies...

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I've noticed unexpected behavior like this as well, always involving numbers, and always in the Finder or an Apple application, such as iTunes. Thanks for the explanation, though - now I understand why Finder does this.