file management. Help needed...

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ipodcase, Dec 4, 2005.

1. ipodcase macrumors newbie

I got my 5g this week. but i'm not able to do a couple of things. this is my first exposure to ipods. so please be gentle on me.

I want to store all my music in the form of folders. but i dont know how to make new folders in my ipod. currently all my music is in the form of a long list in aphabetical order.

secondly, i downloaded about 4gb of music last night. but none of it is showing in the ipod. there was some sort of corrupt files iguess. everytime i connect my ipod to the computer, a ballon pops up asking me to run a "chkdsk" in ipod controls. i have no idea of how to do it. can somebody please help me with the steps to follow.

i waited for my ipod for a long time. but now that it is here i can hardly do anything on it. somebody please help.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That's not how it works. If you wanted to manage your music like that an iPod wasn't the way to go. You need to import your music in to iTunes, organise it in there, and let iTunes worry about arranging your folders.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

When you copied the music to your iPod, did you use iTunes/MusicMatch, or did you just drag it onto the drive?

4. ipodcase thread starter macrumors newbie

i used itunes. i selected the option of "manaually manage songs and playlists". but I'm not able to create a folder in itunes for my ipod.

5. ipodcase thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys i figured out the folders issue...

but what to do with the 4gb of songs that's not showing up. it asks me to run "chkdsk" utility. how do i delete the bad files. there are a few songs which have a exclaimatory mark in fornt of them in the itunes list. Shall i delete those songs from my ipod??

My ipod window in itunes shows that i have used 5.75gb in the status bar. but below that it shows 422 songs, 1.3 days, 1.85GB. where did the other 4gb go??:confused:

6. reh macrumors 6502a

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Right-click the iPod in My Computer, go to Properties, go to the Tools tab, and click Check Now.

8. ipodcase thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried doing a "check now" in properties. Now the corrupt files balloon does not pop up but I still cant see 3GB of songs. At the bottom of the itunes window is written:
    Used: 4.76GB free:23.06gb
    422 songs, 1.3 days, 1.85gb

The rest 3gb seems to be lost. Could this be a problem with the ipod hard drive?? Is there any way I can access the hidden 3GB??

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The HDD is given a 30GB storage by the marketing department, not the computer. When you see 30GB advertised you will always see a little disclaimer saying something along the lines of "1GB = 1000 000 000 bytes" this is correct but computerswork in binary so 1GB to them is more than a billion bytes, it's 2^30 bytes. So you lose about 7% in the translation from what the box says to what the computer tells you. It's a fact of life, you can't do anything about it.

As for how you are managing the files, iTunes manages them for you. With iTunes you use the program to access, change the details and play your music. You should never have to access the file system itself. You make playlists on your iPod, not folders.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

That's not the problem here. 4.76 GB have been used, but he only has 1.85 GB of music on there.

To the OP: Presumably you have copies of all your music in iTunes on your computer. The simplest solution is probably to "restore" your iPod using the iPod Updater utility. This will wipe everything on your iPod and return it to a "factory fresh" state. Once you've done that, synch with iTunes and hopefully everything will show up.

11. ipodcase thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, Thanks a ton. I did that and now my ipod shows the entire disk as empty!!

I did import a few songs from an audio cd to the itunes library and later they were up loaded to the ipod automatically. Now, when i put a MP3 cd, i.e. a cd full of MP3 songs, i was not able to import it to the library. The itunes doesn't recognize the cd so the 'import' icon doesnt show up. There is only the 'browse' icon instead of the import icon at the top of the window.

Do i just drag and drop the mp3 files from the cd to the ipod in itunes or do i have to import it first to the library??

12. ipodcase thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, i fugured out how to transfer MP3 files too. Thank you very much for all the help.