File opened by wrong app! .bin opened by Toast

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by maclamb, Oct 25, 2002.

1. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

I downloaded a file with a bin extension - Yahoo Messanger install and when I try to openit it starts up Roxio Toast - and needless to say it doesn't run!

How can I get this to open and run correctly?

2. medea macrumors 68030

medea

are you using OS X? if not what are you running?
    if you are in os x then highlight the .bin file and then hold down the apple key and the letter i . this will open the information for that file and will see where it says open with, change it there.

3. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

maybe you got a dodgy copy & should try downloading it again. or you could try opening Stuffit Expander and then try to open the .bin file.

4. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

just use cmd+i on the file and tell it to open with the proper app (stuffit). it would also be beneficial to go ahead and change all.

5. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

thanks - that worked on my PB
    I tried earlier today - my first thought - on my desktop and it crashed Stuffit...

6. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

That happened to me too. It was annoying, but you just have to set the default program and it will correct it (As stated by sparkleytone). I wonder why that happened to us...

7. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

it happened because .bin is also a common disk image format, which Toast recognizes.

8. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Isn't it illegal from programs to become the default program for opening something unless it asks 1st? It probably did, and I just clicked 'Okay' without looking, because I tend to do that :D.

9. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

What happened is that the meta-data for application preference is often lost when a file is downloaded, and the OS decides which association to make.

I have a StuffIt .bin sitting right next Toast .bin, each with the correct icon, each opens to the correct app...

10. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I had that problem to. BUT then I just dragged the icon to my StuffIt Expander (that was in my Dock) and it opened fine. The other ways are good to if you didn't want to keep StuffIt in your Dock. I don't keep it in my Dock either, but I happened to have the program open so it worked :)

Just my thoughts... :D